• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JPL

Hello!

I am quite newbie and owning my first 2013 JPX model (Barolo, made 04/2013).
There is no BFR-logo at 12. fret and no BFR-neckplate (normal Ernie Ball Music Man plate). Certificate says "Ball Family Reserve" and in case there is that oval BFR -plate. Is my guitar BFR model? Anyway this is awesome guitar!

Last edited:

GWDavis28

Sounds like it's not one of the BFR models.

Got some pics?

Glenn |B)

morsecode

The BFR concept has evolved over time, and it will likely continue to do so. The 12th fret inlays were discontinued quite some time ago, and to my knowledge, not all BFR’s had neck plates indicating such. The Certificate should be your authenication that it is a BFR. You can also contact Customer Service if you are still not sure.

Lax

I guess bfr guitars from jpx to jp13 and in a way jp15 and jp16 too, are victim of a critic.
People say they aren't real bfr because they were mass produced and not very limited runs or exclusive to a specific shop.
Even if their specs and building process is the same as bfr and even if the fret or plate says bfr.

I heard that about my jp12 and just said whatever :D

jeffjong

I guess bfr guitars from jpx to jp13 and in a way jp15 and jp16 too, are victim of a critic.
People say they aren't real bfr because they were mass produced and not very limited runs or exclusive to a specific shop.
Even if their specs and building process is the same as bfr and even if the fret or plate says bfr.

I heard that about my jp12 and just said whatever :D
This is the reaction I got from Ernie Ball regarding mij JP15 with a BFR neckplate

"The term Ball Family Reserve (BFR, for short) has evolved over time. Back in 2007 when we introduced the first Ball Family Reserve instruments it was our chance to offer the general public some things that had previously only been available to special artists or friends of the Ball Family. While that still stands true today, the term has become more exclusive and is now only used for instruments that are limited in quantity. While we still offer the JP15 and models formally known as standard production BFR instruments, they are no longer labeled as "BFR". "BFR" is now used for our specific numbered BFR runs.

This model was produced during the transition period, and thus it includes the BFR markings that were common to JP15's as well as the BFR certificate. Your guitar is an authentic BFR model, but it falls under the older definition of BFR and is not part of a numbered release. "

Sweat

Yes BFR line and what is considered one has evolved since it's inception.

Many did not like the inlay, I personally loved it!

Looks like you have a BFR to me!

Top Bottom