EBMM Stingray bass pink

Thread: Prodigy Picks - do you use them? Do you like 'em?

User Info Menu

Prodigy Picks - do you use them? Do you like 'em?

Hi guys!
    Prodigy picks are out on the market for a while now, but they've been available for about 2 months where I live. I was a long time 2.0mm Dunlop Jazz III user and few years ago I switched completely to Fellow Plectrums Gorilla Grip picks - I like them and hadn't even thought about trying other picks until I saw that Prodigy are made of the same material (Derlin). That a beveled edge seemed very interesting…

So, as soon as they were available I ordered 2 packs of MINI to try them :) Thoughts? 1.5 mm may be useful sometimes, but is not my favourite. But I really dig the 2.0mm version!
    Here's a little video I made comparing 1.5mm and 2.0mm versions of Fellow Plectrums Gorilla Grip SM and Ernie Ball Prodigy MINI. (It's in Polish, but I added CC:)

What are your thoughts on these new EB picks?
    "It's taken all my life to learn what not to play"
    JP7 BFR (Trans Black) | Website: M-Workshop | Instagram

User Info Menu

I just got a dozen of the 1.5 mini's and so far I'm really enjoying them. I've been using the Dunlop PrimeTone picks for a few years now; however, the prodigy is pretty good.
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

User Info Menu

I have a bag of the 1.5s here, never opened it yet. Maybe this is the week!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

I'm still on the fence. I bought a bag of the 2.0 minis, and I swap between them, Ultex Jazz III 2.0s and GraphTech Tusq 1.4s. Each have their advantages and disadvantages, and I'm not 100 percent happy with any of them. I think the Prodigys improve my technique a little. The shape of them makes me focus on playing with only the very tip of the pick. On the downside, they're a little slippery at first. Until I break them in a bit, they tend to slide when picking fast or hard. I like them a lot, but my quest for the perfect pick is not over yet.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

I've been totally spoiled on these 3 point symmetrical picks for years now.
    If EBMM would make a copy of these, I'd totally try them!

Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

So, I tried one for a while but the tip is a little pointy for my liking, I was never a big fan of defrin, and I prefer the tone of my little cellluloid 358s (small teardrop), which I've been using for so long that anything else sounds and feels weird.

Anywant a bag of 6 x 1.5 mm prodigy picks (one of which is lightly used by the handsome and careful previous owner)? First to PM me their address gets 'em!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

I just bought a pack of 1.5 (a few days to early it seems) but I haven’t tried one yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    the tip is a little pointy for my liking
    I got the same feelings with 1.5mm. The thicker ones are not so pointy, but still more pointy than Ultex Jazz III.
    Recently I was playing some fast riffs with alternate picking and they sounded pretty dirty and I couldn't make them sound clean and tight. I used Prodigy mini 2.0mm. Everything worked great hen I switched to my old picks (Fellow Plectrums). Can't tell if it's a matter of the shape or I'm just used to the picks I've been using for years.
    "It's taken all my life to learn what not to play"
    JP7 BFR (Trans Black) | Website: M-Workshop | Instagram