The Vault

View Poll Results: WHo has influenced you the most in chosing Ernie Ball products?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steve Lukather

13 9.49%
  • Albert Lee

6 4.38%
  • Tony Levin

41 29.93%
  • Steve Morse

6 4.38%
  • John Petrucci

22 16.06%
  • Vinnie Moore

2 1.46%
  • Dave La Rue

4 2.92%
  • Eddie Van Halen

16 11.68%
  • Other

27 19.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Tony Levin Legacy...

User Info Menu

Even though Flea and Tony levin influenced me in buying a Music Man...

I remember seeing an old Louis Johnson video and falling in love with the looks and sound of the Stingray...

User Info Menu

mainly keith richards and simon gallup.

User Info Menu

Music Man inspiration

Way before I went to the trouble of looking into who was playing EBMM guitars I ran across a used Silo in a friends music store. At that time I played mainly a Telecaster and a Les Paul along with a few other guitars. I spent a lot of playing time sitting behind the recording console at home and while the Tele was okay the Paul always felt cumbersome as did most guitars. However when I picked up the Silo in my friends store I sat down to play it and it seemed to be more comfortable in that position than any guitar I had ever picked up. The small body was perfect for that. You can reach right around it to adjust things without killing yourself. I've been hooked on them ever since. Took a while to get comfortable playing them live, but it did happen.
    -Pundix

User Info Menu

Talking

EVH for me really. I remember reading all the stuff about the EVH model Musicman, and the whole marketing thing ... " I endorsed the guitar I used to play...." I wanted to try one, but I could never find one. Years later I was looking to buy a Wolfgang, and was happily trying out a couple when the sales guy said I should try this other guitar he had, since I liked the Wolfgang. I sat in the store for about two hours with the Wolfgangs and the Axis, I wanted a Wolfgang as a fan, but I loved the Axis as a player, so I compromised and bought the Axis for a fair bit less than the Wolf, with the money I saved I got a d-Tuna to put on the Axis. I'm so glad I didn't buy a Wolfgang now
    Last edited by blackspy; 04-08-2005 at 07:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo View Post
    Hello, I am new here and I vote 'other' because this guy:
    Mr. Bernard Edwards. He and Louis Johnson diserves a homage from Music Man.
    Agreed +1

User Info Menu

John Petrucci

I tried a JP6 once, and loved it. When I bought a new guitar, I decided to buy a JP6. I am so satisfied with it that I have decided to keep playing EBMM instruments, simply because I have never played something that's even close to these instruments in both sound and playability (if that's an English word ). I bought a Bongo some days ago, and I have never tried a Bongo before. But I knew that it was close to the perfect instrument both because of the brand (as I said, I've never tried any guitars or basses that are as good as EBMM instruments) and because John Myung and Tony Levin uses Bongos too. John Petrucci is the reason why I choose EBMM, but John Myung and Tony Levin has also influenced me into buying EBMM.

EBMM Bongo 4 HH
    EBMM JP6 w/piezo
    Yamaha RBX-JM2
    Behringer BXL-1800

User Info Menu

How to stop forum spammers

User Info Menu

I was kind of lucky, the first bass i ever played was a Stingray back in about 92, it belong to a friend who had just took delivery of it that day. At the time i was all about guitar but it got my imagination going towards the bass full stop an started to look more towards the low end an who was playing what, but for some reason it took me over 10yrs to finally get a Ray of my own and haven't looked back since.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I first started playing guitar because I could. Not because of someone. There just happened to be a guitar hanging around and I grabbed it. That was 9 years a go. When I learned about John Petrucci and Dream Theater/LTE it made a huge impact on my playing. And of course through John, EBMM. I tried the OLP JP and fell in love. Then I tried the EBMM JP6. Fell in love even more. Now I'm getting one this summer.

Another big influence is ofcourse mr. Morse. I've been practising his alternate picking excersises more and more lately. With metronome ofcourse.

User Info Menu

Well, I'll have to go with John Petrucci on this one
    Ernie Ball!
    ~~Mystic Dream JP-6 John Petrucci Music Man - G46281 -Born: 8/25/09 ~~
    ~~Pearl Redburst JP-7 John Petrucci Music Man - F25909 -Born: 4/23/10~~

User Info Menu

No one's probably ever heard of him, but Charles Weeks, who was Chuck Mangione's bass player, played a Stingray, and I wanted one ever since I heard his great licks in the 70s. Listen to "Give it All you Got" and you will understand what I mean. Big inspiration to me. It took me 30 years to actually start playing bass, and I still want a Stingray.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xbass View Post
    Yes he is! But... he didn't replied to me. Well he must be tired of "what equipement are you using" question :-) But I really need to know what is he using. compresor, octaver, etc Do you have any ideea?
    Well, in the fall of 2005 he played a show with the Tony Levin Band at a local microbrewery (Keegan Ales in Kingston, NY) to help them celebrate their anniversary. I was RIGHT IN FRONT, about two feet from him all night.

Awesome show... the stage was sheets of plywood resting on top of giant bags of hops!

Here's a picture of his pedalboard and some other eye candy. Frankly, I doubt he has a consistent rig, and also doubt that everything you hear comes from the pedals. Note that this board is set up to support both bass and Stick.

bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johans View Post
    do you know where levin located actually?
    i heard he's in Marin County of the SF Bay Area

just wondering
    Woodstock, NY
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

User Info Menu

Well I took notice when I first saw Vanhalen with his signature guitar, but since I do not play in that style and always played Teles or Strats I just thought it was a cool ax. I went to get a guitar with humbuckers one day and figured I was leaving with a Les Paul but I started playing an EVH first and just loved it, and that is what I left with.

I was always a one company man really for the longest time. Anyway as time went by I noticed all these great players coming out with a signature EBMM guitar, but the bottom line is what the guitars were offering- body styles, pick up combination's, beautiful tops, killer necks and the wildest colors with it all seeming fresh and innovative and not the same rehashed copies that most companies put out. I have to say that at 48 I feel like I did in my 20s always checking out what is going on over here. Anyway I am a 2 guitar company guy now but with a lot more interest these days on this side of the fence. Though I think before everything is said and done I will one day buy a Les Paul, then again I have been saying that for over 30 years.