BFR October 2019
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What Colour is this? or EBMM Bass Finishes Guide

User Info Menu

what color is this sterling???

Hello, I've been on the market for a honey burst sterling. I found this bass and I'm not sure what color it is, maybe the original sunburst?

Does anyone have any idea about the official color name? The owner thought it was orange burst... which I haven't heard of...

thank!

andrew

User Info Menu

hey does anyone know what color this is??
    i cant recognize it and ive heard plenty of different names for it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by born2play55 View Post
    hey does anyone know what color this is??
    i cant recognize it and ive heard plenty of different names for it
    The finish is "Translucent Blueburst".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by landslide View Post
    Hello, I've been on the market for a honey burst sterling. I found this bass and I'm not sure what color it is, maybe the original sunburst?

Does anyone have any idea about the official color name? The owner thought it was orange burst... which I haven't heard of...

thank!

andrew
    Different lighting conditions can make Cherryburst, Honeyburst and Sunburst look very similar but it's "Sunburst" (as distinct from the 3 tone Vintage Sunburst). The bridge on that Bass puts it somewhere between 1993-95 but there were no Cherryburst or Honeyburst finishes back then.

Sunburst latter evolved into present-day "Honeyburst".
    Last edited by Rod Trussbroken; 07-29-2007 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Typo error

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by landslide View Post

thank!

andrew
    As a side note, I bought my trans teal SR from the same guy. He's a great guy to deal with if you end up buying it.

Brian

User Info Menu

I'm waiting on the arrival of a S.U.B. The seller says its Rolls Burgandy. Here's a pic. Is it really RB color?

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/atta...mm-sub-003.jpg
    2003 MusicMan S.U.B. 4 in Textured Red
    1999 MIA Fender Precision in Midnight Purple
    2006 Yamaha BB414 in Metallic Orange (FOR SALE)

User Info Menu

Yes, but not for the SUBs. I'm tempted to say cinnamon, but lets just say red for now.

User Info Menu

I would most definitely agree with midopa - the textured cinnamon is almost brown with a tint of red.

The SUBs were never available in the Rolls Burgundy finish. All of the SUB finishes are textured.

Dan
    About halfway between SF and LA lies the sleepy hamlet of SLOville -

"I love the smell of polyester clearcoat in the morning!"

User Info Menu

Why?

Just wondering why everyone seems to change the pickguard on the trans-white StingRay? I must have lucked out -- I walked into a music store back in '93 and just happened on a trans-white StinRay hanging on the wall. Never thought much about it until I was trying to find out more specifics on my 20th Anniversary and kept running into info about this "rare" finish. I emailed Ernie Ball with my serial number and here what they had to say about it:

David,

There were less than 35 production pieces made in the Trans White "Mary Kay White" - all of them were made in 1993-94. Less than 10 of those were like yours - 3-band EQ with a rosewood fretboard.

Best Regards,

Dan McPherson
    Music Man Customer Service
    www.ernieball.com
    866-82-EBALL ext. 126

And to think, I have kept it because I have always just liked the way it loks and plays! I have gigged with it quite a bit and will continue to do so, but I might be a bit more careful now ;-)

User Info Menu

Trans white!!! Pics please!!!!

No pics, no bass.
    Andrew

Carbon Blue Pearl HH SR5
    Dargie Delight HS SR5
    Trans Red H SR5

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Nice! Looks like it was stored in a time capsule ....

Dan
    About halfway between SF and LA lies the sleepy hamlet of SLOville -

"I love the smell of polyester clearcoat in the morning!"

User Info Menu

I bought it in 93, and used it quite often as on of my two main basses. Ended up with 5 4-strings and 2 fives, but have since sold all but the trans-white and trans orangeburst. I got into the original P-bass tone for a while and used my American Precision and a Reggie Hamilton Jazz for years. Just took the trans-white out for a few gigs and forgot how great it sounded. I also just changed amps, so that may have helped out some, too. I've now got a GK-700RB II through an Ampeg classic 4x10 and an Ampeg classic single 15 ... great combination!!

User Info Menu

hi guys... i'm new! it's fun to join the club. thx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nrbassplayer View Post
    Just wondering why everyone seems to change the pickguard on the trans-white StingRay?

There were less than 35 production pieces made in the Trans White "Mary Kay White" - all of them were made in 1993-94. Less than 10 of those were like yours - 3-band EQ with a rosewood fretboard.
    Only 35?
    I guess I'm one of them.

Although, I am guilty of changing the pickguard. It got a black one fairly recently. The tort was shrinking and lifting over the screws. I quite like it with a black guard.

SR5 H, SR4 H (x2)