Volt Power Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Darth Vader" Stingray?

User Info Menu

Question "Darth Vader" Stingray?

Hello,

The Onyx Sterling reminded me of something I saw a long time ago.

Around 1990 I saw a strange StingRay four-string at a music store in Boston. It was all black, with a black pickguard, black hardware, dark fingerboard, black headstock and 3-band EQ. I don't remember if the neck was painted or not. It was brand new, with the plastic still protecting the pickguard.

A few years later I was speaking to someone at the factory, and when I described the bass, he knew what I was talking about and referred to it as the "Darth Vader StingRay".

I have never seen any reference to this bass. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks,
    Adam

User Info Menu

Yes.

We did make around 100 Stingrays similar to the Black onyx around 1990. The Darth Vader was just a nickname we used to describe the bass since it was all black with a black painted neck. No photos exist here at the factory maybe someone could dig one out if they have one.

Thanks

Derek

User Info Menu

Originally posted by Derek
    Yes.

We did make around 100 Stingrays similar to the Black onyx around 1990. The Darth Vader was just a nickname we used to describe the bass since it was all black with a black painted neck. No photos exist here at the factory maybe someone could dig one out if they have one.

Thanks

Derek
    Well,would it not be possible to get a SR,SR5,or Sterling with Black Hardware as an option ?and if not why couldn't it be done.

Just curious................... Thanx

User Info Menu

Thanks Derek,

I'm glad it wasn't a figment of my imagination! I remember it stopped me in my tracks when I saw it -- "Whoa!"

I wish I had snapped it up. If I hadn't been the proud new owner of a sunburst ash StingRay at the time...

Adam

User Info Menu

Some pics of the "Darth Vader".

It has a painted neck. Note the plastic control plate.

User Info Menu

Can you say "stealth"?
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

I always liked Darth Vader

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Sorry, but i just don't see it. It looks like a Gothic bass.

User Info Menu

>>>Sorry, but i just don't see it....

Well maybe...historical interest perhaps!!??

IMO...should bring a small fortune one day.

Last edited by Rod Trussbroken; 02-08-2005 at 05:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I cannae see the pix, captain!

Oh, that's Star TREK isn't it?

But I still can't see the pix, young Jedi...

User Info Menu

Wow, that one slipped entirely under my radar. I have no memory of ever having seen that bass before.

Where did you get the pics?

User Info Menu

Jack and JB1...

Owners name is David.

He contacted me via my website wanting to know about "Darth Vaders". He had two, but sold one!!!

I remembered this thread and sought his permission to post the pics. The pics are dark but he's sending better ones.

An extremely interesting and rare Bass.

Over the last few years, Ive heard stories about them. Tought I'd share. Serial coincides with 1990 (as Derek pointed out).

User Info Menu

Dunno if I actually like it, but horses for courses & it makes a nice collector's piece.

User Info Menu

I love it. Too bad their so rare.