Flat Ribbon
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I want a Bongo?

User Info Menu

Do I want a Bongo?

The other day I went to my local GC to see what I liked better, the SR or the Sterling. I A/B'd both basses for about a half hour and I left still unsure. The Sterling felt better but the SR sounded better.

Then I started thinking, why didn't I try that Bongo hanging up on the wall??? I have to admit, when I first saw the Bongo I thought it was extremely ugly. But then again, that's what most girls think about me when they first see me. I tell them I'm Brad Pitt's brother, Stu.

At any rate, how would you compare the Bongo to the SR and the Sterling? Or, how would you describe the Bongo?

User Info Menu

Look into the crystal...your eyes are getting heavy...you are getting sleepy...you are asleep...repeat after me...."I must have a Bongo....."

Hi. We're from Bovine Central. Jack sent us. We're here to help.

bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

User Info Menu

The only thing ugly about these is the guy playing them.

Starting to think about returning to bass playing in the very near future.

Larry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydrew
    ...I tell them I'm Brad Pitt's brother, Stu.
    Stu Pitt...that's funny!
    "That Bongo is the Abe Vigoda of basses."
    - BP

"Don't play it if you don't feel it."
    - James Jamerson

I am the Heidi Fleiss of bass owners!

~James~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shamus63
    Stu Pitt...that's funny!
    ya, pretty funny. Cute little acronym for State University of Pittsburgh.

Seriously, get thee back to GC and give thy Bongo a twirl. Your mind will be made up one way or tuther.
    -Tom
    Fret more, worry less.

Bongo only bass in Tom's life.

Blank-Plank Egyptian Smoke Bongo4H "Nefertiti"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    Seriously, get thee back to GC and give thy Bongo a twirl. Your mind will be made up one way or tuther.
    And be quick about it. Between those of us here who own them, there can't be too many left to buy.
    Starting to think about returning to bass playing in the very near future.

Larry

User Info Menu

Hey guys, great pics. Yes, I'll be heading back to GC to try it out. Most likely this weekend. I was just hoping someone could describe it (in plain English), so I have an idea.

For instance, how does the neck compare to the SR or Sterling? I'm assuming the Bongo is probably lighter. Stuff like that.

User Info Menu

neck is not as beefy as the SR.

Don't know how it compares to a sterling.

Can be lighter than an SR. Depends on p/u config, sample-to-sample wood density differences, etc.

Sound can be similar but is different than an SR or a Sterling.
    -Tom
    Fret more, worry less.

Bongo only bass in Tom's life.

Blank-Plank Egyptian Smoke Bongo4H "Nefertiti"

User Info Menu

I aquired a Bongo last week, a 5HH with piezo. I gigged it at the weekend. After 20 years of playing out live and owning Sadowskys, Fenders, MM Stingrays here's what I think. It's an incredible instrument - buy one. The neck on the Bongo 5 is the same as the SR5. Best production bass available. For me, I prefer the sounds available by panning the pickups as opposed to the coil tapping approach on the SR5.
    The range of tones are all very usuable for all genres of music, it really is a do all. Just try one and see if it fits you. It's the best damn thing in the EB product offer as far as I'm concerned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas
    Hi. We're from Bovine Central. Jack sent us. We're here to help.

HAHA!!!!
    Good, but kinda scary!
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

black sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

Having no direct experience with SRs or Sterlings (other than enjoying listening to them), I can't describe the diffs in plain English. I just know that the vibe of the Bongo is something you have to experience.

Be sure to play it unplugged first. The resonance is pretty cool. Very cool, actually. Like a living thing.

Also, be sure to start with the EQ flat and make small changes. There's a lot of potential in there. Extreme settings are, well, much muchness, if you know what I mean.
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

User Info Menu

Drew,

If I recall correctly, it was the Sterling neck you liked, so I think the same arguments in your other thread still apply to how it feels to you. Sterling neck I think is still better for smaller hands and feels faster. If you get a two pickup config then its tone will be more versatile, but overall I think the Bongo is able to create more sounds in general but still won't give you an exact replica of the other two. But if I had to choose, and I were you, and you don't mind the Bongo neck/looks, I'd go Bongo.

Ed

User Info Menu

Oh, man...you're really asking for it! Bongo lovers are always looking for new converts!

Me, I'm a Sterling fan. They're both great, though. The thing that strikes me most about the Bongo is the power of the EQ...it's a really "hot" system, if that makes any sense. I prefer the feel of the Sterling, and I found the EQ to be much simpler to tweak on the fly...(I'm a lazy, lazy man).

You definitely owe it to yourself to try the Bongo, though! 20,000,000 Bovine fans can't be wrong!
    Bye, everybody!

Trans Orange Sterling, Maple/Tort

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GassieBall
    Drew,

If I recall correctly, it was the Sterling neck you liked, so I think the same arguments in your other thread still apply to how it feels to you. Sterling neck I think is still better for smaller hands and feels faster. If you get a two pickup config then its tone will be more versatile, but overall I think the Bongo is able to create more sounds in general but still won't give you an exact replica of the other two. But if I had to choose, and I were you, and you don't mind the Bongo neck/looks, I'd go Bongo.

Ed
    You are correct Ed. I'll be heading back to the store to try them all out again. This time I'll try the Bongo. This should be my biggest problem in my life, trying to decide between 3 great basses.

User Info Menu

Try that Bongo!! I'll lay money down that you'll fall in love with the neck from what I gather by your post!

There is no cure for BONGOFEVAH!!!