The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musicman in an airplane... wahhh

User Info Menu

Musicman in an airplane... wahhh

I want to take my bongo with me to florida and I was wondering if anyone has taken that huge ass case onboard with them and put it in one of the things above the seats. I don't think I can go 2 weeks without playing.
    all your bongo are belong to me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dougmoser
    I want to take my bongo with me to florida and I was wondering if anyone has taken that huge ass case onboard with them and put it in one of the things above the seats. I don't think I can go 2 weeks without playing.
    I take mine on the Plane no Problem (( BUT }} I use Levy Leather Gig Bags, you can pile crap on your bass and never hurt it. Your case will have to go under, they won't allow it inside with you. DJ

User Info Menu

Another option is to unbolt the neck and pack the bass in your suitcase. More often than not, airlines won't allow the average traveller to carry-on a guitar or bass in a gig bag (or hard shell case for that matter). Steinbergers excepted.
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

You're risking it trying to carry-on in a gig bag IME....

User Info Menu

I have carried numerous guitars on airlines. I'd pack it in it's case and don't lock it. If you lock it, airline security may break the locks to check inside. Then ship it just like your luggage.

I've carried a baritone guitar on board, but considered myself lucky. A bass MIGHT fit in the overheads of some plans, but certainly not the puddle jumper commuter planes.

I'd just carry it as luggage, and I'd definitely NOT use a gig bag.
    Blue Pearl Bongo 4 HH
    Epifani UL-502 amp
    Epifani UL-210 cab
    Godin Acoustibass with TI Acousticore strings
    Ampeg B-100R

User Info Menu

I have carried numerous guitars on airlines. I'd pack it in its case and don't lock it. If you lock it, airline security may break the locks to check inside. Then ship it just like your luggage.

I've carried a baritone guitar on board, but considered myself lucky. A bass MIGHT fit in the overheads of some planes, but certainly not the puddle jumper commuter planes.

I'd just carry it as luggage, and I'd definitely NOT use a gig bag.
    Blue Pearl Bongo 4 HH
    Epifani UL-502 amp
    Epifani UL-210 cab
    Godin Acoustibass with TI Acousticore strings
    Ampeg B-100R

User Info Menu

IIRC there was a long thread over on TB about this a while back. Lots of people chiming in with their experiences doing this sort of thing.

Head over there and do a search....

I'd call the airline and ask them if I were you.
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

User Info Menu

I'd call the airline and ask them if I were you.
    ...and if you show up at the gate with it in a gig and get it "gate checked" then what??

User Info Menu

Either book an extra seat (which I have done for a double bass before I have the coffin it lives in) or time to buy one of those bass safes, which several people here have recommended.

I wonder - any one know if the Music man case or even Hiscocks cases are up to airline hold handling?
    BASSES:
    the Double D - Dargie Delight SR4 HS matching headstock (E44380 - DOB 19th Mar 2007 one of 17 and only one in the UK)
    the Creammachine - White HS SR5, white pg, maple neck and matching headstock. (E34451 - DOB 1st Mar 2006)
    the PurpleDaze - trans purple SR4-H, ashwood body, rosewood fretboard (E29097 - DOB: 12th April 2002)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roballanson
    I wonder - any one know if the Music man case or even Hiscocks cases are up to airline hold handling?
    Hiscox make mighty fine cases, but I wouldn't trust even a Hiscox case in the hands of the baggage handling gorillas. An ATA case or SKB bass safe is the way to go. In terms of locks, you can buy special padlocks that can be opened for inspection by the airlines using a master key.
    Cheers
    Mark

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dude Barr
    ...and if you show up at the gate with it in a gig and get it "gate checked" then what??
    Dude is dead right - better to be safe than sorry.
    Cheers
    Mark

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roballanson
    Either book an extra seat (which I have done for a double bass before I have the coffin it lives in) or time to buy one of those bass safes, which several people here have recommended.

I have one of the SKB Rolling Bass Safes, and it's a damn-tough case for the money (around $130). I check it in at the counter, and pick it up at the next baggage claim with no worries.
    "That Bongo is the Abe Vigoda of basses."
    - BP

"Don't play it if you don't feel it."
    - James Jamerson

I am the Heidi Fleiss of bass owners!

~James~

User Info Menu

Doug ... perhaps you might consider renting one in FLA. If you are only going to be there for 2 weeks, it might be a lot less risk and hassle.
    2006 Limited Edition SR4 HH

Rig: Eden WT550 D212XLT D210XST

User Info Menu

gig bag and an SKB BassSafe, been flying with one for over a year and many flights and never any problems. I think it's due in part to the fact that baggage handlers possibly think it's a rifle and therefore don't mess with it.

"Top pros 15 - Talkbass 0"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nashman
    Doug ... perhaps you might consider renting one in FLA. If you are only going to be there for 2 weeks, it might be a lot less risk and hassle.

Renting?? Nah...just go to Bass Central, buy a new bass, play it for the two weeks, then have Beaver ship it back to you after the 2 weeks is up.