The Vault
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me build a GK rig for Stealth

User Info Menu

Please help me build a GK rig for Stealth

Greetings Bongoloids!

As I am waiting for my Stealth, more gas pressure is building up. I've only had combo amps in the past so could you please please please offer advice? Currently I have a F*ender Bassman 250W 1x15" combo which is 250W@4ohms. I'd like to get a 210 cab with a head that could eventually run both the 210 and the 115. I don't have much experience with GK and can't find all the models I want to try at local stores.

Could any body comment on their experiences with the differences between the BackLine series and the Artist series in terms of tone with EBMM?

So far, I'm thinking a 700RB-II head with the 210SBX and plugging my F*nder 115 in below until I get a GK115. Should I consider the RBH? Is that worth it compared to the BackLine 600 and the 210BLX?

Thanks!
    Last edited by GassieBall; 06-25-2006 at 08:51 AM. Reason: technobabble
    Ed

Bongo Stealth 4HH, Sterling Honeyburst 4HS
    SUB Sterling Black 4, SUB Red 4
    MarkBass Little Mark II, MarkBass 104HF + 151HF
    Epifani UL112 x 2

User Info Menu

Definitely go for the artist series. Backline is okay if you are on a tight budget, but the artist series is quite a step above. The 700rb-II would be good, but the 1001rb-II is only a little more expensive, and you get more power if you ever need it. If you know that you wont need that much power, though, you can save the money and stick with the 700.
    1997 Sterling black/black/maple
    1992 Stingray Fretless 2eq trans teal/black
    Epifani PS600
    Epifani UL310

User Info Menu

Figjam,

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that the 1001 is a mere $150 more than the 700. I don't play huge places, but I want the full 1.21 GigaWatts... I know, old reference.

Have you or anyone compared the SBX to the RBH cabs?
    Ed

Epifani UL112 x 2

User Info Menu

I have and I prefer the RBH. Something about the way they are ported.. not sure but the 210 is my favorite.
    1997 Sterling black/black/maple
    1992 Stingray Fretless 2eq trans teal/black
    Epifani PS600
    Epifani UL310

User Info Menu

I can only tell you this much....

I run my Stealth through a GK 700....4/10....plus some rack stuff like compression, expander, limiter, eq and power conditioner.......I like the tone and I haven't had to adjust it much......she is right where I want it......
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

Cool, guys.

Koogie, which series is your 4/10? I like that you didn't have to tweak much. I don't want to fiddle. I just want to play!
    Ed

Epifani UL112 x 2

User Info Menu

This is a good rig right here that's ending today on Ebay.You really can't go wrong with the 800RB-http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    I prefer the Neo cabs myself but the RBH and SBX cabs are very good. The 700RBII is also a great head and a good choice if you don't need the power of the 1001RBII.
    2001 SR5 Black/Black/Maple
    2004 SR4 Honeyburst/ Black/Maple
    2006 SR4HH Natural/Black/Rosewood
    2009 Big Al 4SSS Vintage Sunburst/Rosewood
    2012 PDN Honey Roasted Bongo 4HHp
    2018 Stingray Special 4HH Aqua Sparkle/Ebony

Noise Chapter EP
    MORE MUSIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GassieBall
    Cool, guys.

Koogie, which series is your 4/10? I like that you didn't have to tweak much. I don't want to fiddle. I just want to play!
    Actually...I don't know the series as it was a used cab...I know it is a GK, I believe it was called the T410? I'll look to see if there is any more information when I go to band practice as my rig is at my drummer's house....I'll let you know. But, keep in mind...it is a much older cab.....wood constructed, with a metal screen front....haven't seen one like it before.....sounds great and was in great condition.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

Ugh, I... must... not... click... on... evilbay... Will resist. I am strong.
    Ed

Epifani UL112 x 2

User Info Menu

That auction link is a great deal imo.

My rig is a combination of a Neo 2x12 and an RBH 115. I think both are fantastic. When I play with my band I always use the 2x12 - sometimes I'll throw the 115 under it. Pure tonewise I prefer the sound of the RBH 115, it's a bit smoother sounding, but only a little bit. I run the tweeters all the way off on both cabinets.

I think you'll be happy with anything out of the RBH series or the Neo series. Those cabinets are all good. You should try them out so you can hear the difference, and also feel the difference in weight. The RBH 410 is heavy, but it's a great cabinet so it's worth looking at. I think that you'd be in hog heaven if you paired an RBH 115 and a RBH 210 (or 410), or a Neo 2x12 with a Neo 1x15. Or, if you just got an RBH 410, Neo 2x12 or Neo 4x12 for single cabinet portability.

I was considering a Neo 4x12 just so I don't have to make 2 trips to the car to get all my speakers - I'm trying to be efficient (lazy). I fell into a great deal on an Ampeg 8x10 so I'm going that route to see if it works for me. Only bad part is that I have to wait a month to get it.

You're going to be happy with just about anything you get from GK. There are a couple of guys here that use the SBK cabinets and love them. I've never used them so I can't give any kind of advice that would be from experience about them. I recommend the RBH and the Neo lines because I have hands on experience with them and they are great cabinets. Good luck with the GK journey, and let us know where you end up.

User Info Menu

Rockin' Ray Duke and Paul (Smallequestrian) were at my gig last night. Ask them how the GK 1001RBII with the Neo 212 and 115 sound with the Bongo.
    Starting to think about returning to bass playing in the very near future.

Larry

User Info Menu

I play my Bongos with a GK 2001Rb and 2 Neo212s and it is ungodly! The 2001 is a bit more than most need (including myself) but it is all about headroom (plus I like the 2nd channel). Honestly, if you are looking at the 700 and 1001... save and go 1001 - you wont regret it and your bass will thank you (the added headroom works wonders - esp with Bongos).

The SBX cabs are nice (if you go this route make sure you get SBX II's - more power handling). Very tight, even and focused. The RBH line is just awsome, imo, and nails the GK growel perfectly. They have a deeper sound but aren't as even as the SBX's (I like them because they have that added depth)... the big drawback is they weigh a ton. The Neo's are a nice cross between the two. The speakers are pretty fast, they project and reproduce well, and they have some nice depth to them.
    - Ritch
    Bongo 4H - Limited Fritz the Kat Lime Green - Kermit
    Bongo 4H - Dargie Delight
    Bongo 4HH - Sky Blue
    Sterling 4H - Trans Purple

GK and MarkBass stuff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Randracula
    This is a good rig right here that's ending today on Ebay.You really can't go wrong with the 800RB-http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    I prefer the Neo cabs myself but the RBH and SBX cabs are very good. The 700RBII is also a great head and a good choice if you don't need the power of the 1001RBII.
    +1
    This is a nice little rig, esp if it stays below 600.
    - Ritch
    Bongo 4H - Limited Fritz the Kat Lime Green - Kermit
    Bongo 4H - Dargie Delight
    Bongo 4HH - Sky Blue
    Sterling 4H - Trans Purple

GK and MarkBass stuff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oddjob
    +1
    This is a nice little rig, esp if it stays below 600.
    +1 more.

Need more sound? Add a 15 under it.
    Starting to think about returning to bass playing in the very near future.

Larry

User Info Menu

A huge +1 for the Neo cabs. The thing about the SBX is that they don't have as much of a full sound as with the ported GK cabs (RBH, Neos). The RBH are very very very punchy. They were pretty much made to knock you on your keester. The Neos also pack alot of punch but you can obtain a more smooth tone out of them. Personally, I like the Neos.

For all your GK needs, i'd recommend www.rmcaudio.com
    Andrew

Carbon Blue Pearl HH SR5
    Dargie Delight HS SR5
    Trans Red H SR5