Mega Primo Mammoth
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you choose the serial numbers?

User Info Menu

You should drop the current way of doing it and go with the mirror and the genie. It'll be fun!
    " jeg lukker et řye og ser halvt....jeg lukker begge og ser alt "

96 Stingray Translucent Teal/Rosewood/Black pg

User Info Menu

Thanks Beth! It's always nice to know a bit more about the inner workings at EB.

User Info Menu

The Sterling I sold David had a serial # starting with a B. It was a '96 but not a special edition of anything as far as I know. Could it have gotten an older bridge that was floating around?

Squid/Lisa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SquidLizard View Post
    .....Could it have gotten an older bridge that was floating around?

Squid/Lisa
    No.

The serials can be confusing

Up to 1996, both the Sterling and SR4 had unprefixed five digit serial numbers.

During 1996 and 1997 the five digit serials on both Basses were then prefixed with a "B". This is not to be confused with the older Pre-EB "B" serial which had six digits (and also used on some early EB Basses up to 1988 and 100th NAMM Anni Bass).

Later during 1997 the five digit serials on both Basses changed from the "B" to a "D" prefix.

Up to this point all the serials were located on the bridge.

In 1998, the Sterling changed to an "F" prefix still followed by five digits while the SR4 changed to an "E" prefix (and the five digits). This is when the serial numbers moved from the bridge to the neck plate.

The SR5 was always an unprefixed five digit serial (on the bridge) untill 1998 when, like the SR4, it became prefixed with an "E" and moved to the neck plate too.
    Last edited by Rod Trussbroken; 03-27-2007 at 03:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdgotoh View Post
    I just got a new Sterling HH and noticed that the serial number is "earlier" numerically than the buttercream Sterling I got over a year ago, by a good bit.

Since these are stamped metal neck plates, do you make them up in big batches and the number has nothing to do with the year the bass was made?
    Hi Brad.

It's my understanding that the serials are stamped in large quantities and aren't used in any particular order. But because of the flow of instruments they generally (but not necessarily) fall into on overall order. I've seen some out of chronology by several years. But it's more so with days of the month and months of the year that don't necessarily follow chronology.

User Info Menu

My sterling ray 34 has SR as the prefix. Im assuming that stands for StingRay ?
    keeping time on the low end thick and heavy..bass in your face

User Info Menu

Also Ive seen threads where someone is asking the year of their bass by giving the serial# and someone from the factory gave the year of manufacture where the bass went to and which state it was shipped to. Thats pretty in depth info from a serial # so whos saying now that the serial num doesnt mean anything ? What did I miss here ?
    keeping time on the low end thick and heavy..bass in your face

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SnakebassistPHX View Post
    Also Ive seen threads where someone is asking the year of their bass by giving the serial# and someone from the factory gave the year of manufacture where the bass went to and which state it was shipped to. Thats pretty in depth info from a serial # so whos saying now that the serial num doesnt mean anything ? What did I miss here ?
    When the random plate with the random number is attached to a newly made bass, all the basses information (dob, colour, configuration et) is all then logged to that number and only really means anything to EBMM.
    Give them the random serial number off your bass many years later and they will give you the information on that bass of how it left the factory
    Last edited by danny-79; 04-17-2019 at 04:34 AM.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SnakebassistPHX View Post
    My sterling ray 34 has SR as the prefix. Im assuming that stands for StingRay ?
    The Brand "Sterling by Musicman" doesn't belong to Ernie Ball.
    The Companys name is "Praxis Musical Instruments" (check wikipedia).
    I would ask them first why they put "SR" on it: info@sterlingbymusicman.com
    1979 StingRay natural maple

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Good question. All Ernie Ball Music Man serial numbers are actually selected at random. The serial numbers have no relation to a numerical order or date of production.