Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you choose the serial numbers?

User Info Menu

How do you choose the serial numbers?

I just got a new Sterling HH and noticed that the serial number is "earlier" numerically than the buttercream Sterling I got over a year ago, by a good bit.

Since these are stamped metal neck plates, do you make them up in big batches and the number has nothing to do with the year the bass was made?

User Info Menu

Hmmm...

This all sounds familiar.

Ken...
    Dark is faster than light, otherwise you'd see it.

User Info Menu

Yup, I've noticed that too..... and it seems like I've seen this done before.
    -Mike

2014 Big Al 5 SSS tangerine
    1978 StingRay white

User Info Menu

hmmmmmmmmmmmm........................

User Info Menu

It's almost as if they're punched out and set aside in a bin........

on a side note, wish there was some way I could swing that buttercream HH down here in the dirty south.....
    David
    '08 natural/maple Sterling H

"You know the best that we can hope for, is to be laughing when we finally hit the ground."- The Refreshments

User Info Menu

They are randomly picked I bleeb.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

I think they do it the "Fender" way, stamp out a whole bunch and just put them in a box, then grab one for each bass randomly...
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    I think they do it the "Fender" way, stamp out a whole bunch and just put them in a box, then grab one for each bass randomly...
    Interesting to see it go to both branches of the limb.

Ken...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baker View Post
    Interesting to see it go to both branches of the limb.

Ken...

Lol, I'm so slow i didn't realize that was what all of you implied

Still i don't understand your message, but it's all good, I'm a swedish basstard:P
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DKWilkins View Post
    on a side note, wish there was some way I could swing that buttercream HH down here in the dirty south.....
    Me too David, it's an awesome bass. Have you played an HH Sterling yet? It's now officially my very favorite EB bass model. My superlight black Sterling H is getting nervous...

User Info Menu

couldnt they just stack them in a pile and take them from the top?

Komp
    Silhouette bass guitar (Blue dawn/Maple)
    Stingray 2EQ (Black/Rosewood)
    USA SUB Bass (Teal/Rosewood)

My music pages
    http://www.simonatkinsonandthefoundr...pprentice.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/thefallofevemusic/
    https://www.facebook.com/Slider-Ayrs...8254238294536/

User Info Menu

Lol, I'm so slow i didn't realize that was what all of you implied
    Cryptic, huh?

Still i don't understand your message, but it's all good, I'm a swedish basstard:P
    It's a reference to the way Leo Fender's post-FMIC companies installed & tracked (or didn't) serial numbers.

Back in the CLF Research days, it used to be that the serial numbers were stamped on the neck plate or bridge. They'd buy 'em in big lots and the things would get stored in bins waiting for installation. Someone needs a bridge for a pre-EBMM 'Ray and they'd reach into the box and grab one without any thought as to numerical order.

The Ball family acquires Music Man. Leo takes CLF Research to G&L and the handling of serialized metal parts largely continued in much the same fashion as before. It's been a source of conversation on the G&L board since early on. BBE-era G&Ls have serial numbers on the headstock, but they're not installed or tracked any better than in the old days. The closest we get to a DOB is neck & body date.

There. Now you know almost all my secrets.

Ken...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdgotoh View Post
    Me too David, it's an awesome bass. Have you played an HH Sterling yet? It's now officially my very favorite EB bass model. My superlight black Sterling H is getting nervous...

Not yet... nothing around here... besides, I get all my good stuff from you
    (well, except that most excellent blue pearl/maple I got from Squidlizard)
    I guess I can dream...
    David
    '08 natural/maple Sterling H

"You know the best that we can hope for, is to be laughing when we finally hit the ground."- The Refreshments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdgotoh View Post
    I just got a new Sterling HH and noticed that the serial number is "earlier" numerically than the buttercream Sterling I got over a year ago, by a good bit.

Since these are stamped metal neck plates, do you make them up in big batches and the number has nothing to do with the year the bass was made?
    Actually, we have a mirror on the wall with a genie inside it at the factory. When an instrument is ready to have the neck fitted, we hold up the parts and say "mirror mirror, on the wall, which is the most fitting serial number of all?" and, a la Harry Potter and the magic wizard cap, it gives us a serial number.

Tee hee! Just kidding! Actually, there is no coding on the serial numbers. The one bit of info I can offer you is:

serial numbers that start with "G" are guitars
    serial numbers that start with "F" are Sterling basses, Bongo basses, John Petrucci 7-strings and the new StingRay 5 20th Anniversary's
    serial numbers that start with "E" are StingRays & StingRay 5's

"A", "C", and "B" serial numbers are either pre-EB, offshore or special anniversary models we've done in the past.
    carpe diem

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Actually, we have a mirror on the wall with a genie inside it at the factory. When an instrument is ready to have the neck fitted, we hold up the parts and say "mirror mirror, on the wall, which is the most fitting serial number of all?" and, a la Harry Potter and the magic wizard cap, it gives us a serial number.
    Tee hee! Just kidding! Actually, there is no coding on the serial numbers. The one bit of info I can offer you is:

serial numbers that start with "G" are guitars
    serial numbers that start with "F" are Sterling basses, Bongo basses, John Petrucci 7-strings and the new StingRay 5 20th Anniversary's
    serial numbers that start with "E" are StingRays & StingRay 5's

"A", "C", and "B" serial numbers are either pre-EB, offshore or special anniversary models we've done in the past.
    Very informative and entertaining, thanks Beth
    Australian Music Man Dealer Contact us
    See Guitar Planet Videos Here