VPJr Tuner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pickup problem

User Info Menu

pickup problem

hello my name is jeff and im new to the board. my pickup on my sr4 keeps raising it self up on the side facing the neck i tighten the screw back into place but when i play it will slowly raise it sel back up, i use the pickup as a thumbrest. any advice on how to fix this problem without installing a thumbrest.

User Info Menu

the same thing happends to mine, i'm just gona send it back to ernie ball for some fixen
    shaver

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsixx
    hello my name is jeff and im new to the board. my pickup on my sr4 keeps raising it self up on the side facing the neck i tighten the screw back into place but when i play it will slowly raise it sel back up, i use the pickup as a thumbrest. any advice on how to fix this problem without installing a thumbrest.
    Is your problem solved already? If so, what have you done? I think I have the same problem with my sterling now. The pickup is raising from the edge where is only one screw.

User Info Menu

Wow I have that problem on my Bongo 5 but never on either of my Rays. Hmmmmm....Very Interesting.....

User Info Menu

ever considered carrying a screwdriver in you bass case? for 2 bucks you can "fix" the problem
    2003 SUB, 2008 JAZZ, 2008 STINGRAY, NC410 COMBO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franky
    ever considered carrying a screwdriver in you bass case? for 2 bucks you can "fix" the problem
    It would be nice to fix the problem, not just "fix" the problem. IŽll have to think something.

User Info Menu

It sounds like the hole where the pickup adjusting screw goes into might be enlarged, so the screw is not getting any bite.
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

Use a drop of Loctite Lock 'N' Seal on the thread. It'll stop it coming undone.

I use it it on my Schaller straplocks to stop the nut working loose and dropping off so causing the bass to plummet to the floor. "It don't so much fly as plummet"

User Info Menu

or you could use a toothpick. put an end in the hole, break it off so its flush put the screw in and be happy.

User Info Menu

That won't work because the pickup screw is a machine screw.The toothpick thing works with wood screws. Loctite small screw threadlocker #22231 is the shiznit

User Info Menu

does a machine screw, screw into wood or is there some sort of sleeve? if theres no sleeve i would have to differ because im pretty sure the screws seymour duncan supplies with its pickups and the screws eb/mm uses are somewhat similar and i did the toothpick trick and it worked wonderfully. the screws became very tight. but i like that because if theyre that tight they wont come out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skabassist13
    does a machine screw, screw into wood or is there some sort of sleeve? if theres no sleeve i would have to differ because im pretty sure the screws seymour duncan supplies with its pickups and the screws eb/mm uses are somewhat similar and i did the toothpick trick and it worked wonderfully. the screws became very tight. but i like that because if theyre that tight they wont come out.
    I can't believe you doubt the great and powerful Oz (aka: Jon)!

I just changed out a pickup last week and as Jon stated the screws are machine screws. LocTite should do the trick.
    Starting to think about returning to bass playing in the very near future.

Larry

User Info Menu

Thank You Larry

User Info Menu

i wasnt doubting jon, just stating an opinion of what i thought. btw im not exactly sure what a machine screw is.

User Info Menu

yeah i fixed the problem a while ago and just never posted anymore on it. i used what jon, recommended and i havent had a problem since.