EBMM Stingray bass blue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Dead G string?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Dead G string?

    I've done some searches but couldn't produce anything that was similar to my problem. I have also checked all of my measurements to make sure they are to Ernie Ball standards such as the measure for relief in the neck, the distance between fret and strings, and the distance between the plastic of the pickup and G string (which is slightly lower than the 4.76mm recommended). This setup was done after putting on brand new DR Hibeams .45-1.05 gauge. What could be done to fix this problem? I've heard that some MM just have "dead" or quiet d and g strings. Is this the case or can I fix it? Thanks guys.

    Deryc

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Not to state the obvious, but why not just raise the pickup on the G-string side? You stated it's not to EBMM standards. Why not?
    2000 Sterling Trans Teal/Maple
    2004 Bongo 4HH/Black
    2006 Sterling HH Trans Teal/RW
    2009 Sterling by Music Man JP50

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    After seeing a couple posts like this recently, I'm wondering what it could be if not the strings or the pickup adjustment?

    To say that "some MM just have "dead" or quiet d and g strings" makes no sense to me. If the string is not dead and the pickup is adjusted properly then, barring a bad pickup/preamp, the pickup should pick up the vibration of the string and produce the right sound/volume. Is there more to it than that? I understand how wood affects tone, but I wouldn't think that it could affect volume.
    ...Bryan

    194-59-21-01 Sterling Silver Sterling5 HH Rosewood MHS F28514 3/14/11

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    I have had the same problem recently. My personal suspicion is that it has something to do with the bass frequencys coming from the amp. The E,A,and D stings have more bass in them. So if the amp is really boosting the bass frequency there can seem to be a sudden drop of volume to the G string. It really just a sudden drop in bass freq. ??? I could be totally off though. I'm not an expert. I just thought I would put my $0.02 in. I found that if I cut the bass eq on my bongo and then increased the volume accordingly it helped quite a bit. Maybe cutting bass off the amp's eq would help too. (Not really a solution though, especially if you like big meaty bass tone) Personally I'm gonna try some thicker strings (power slinkys) to see if having a thicker G adds some more lows to that string.
    Last edited by Leftybassist; 08-02-2007 at 12:04 PM.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Leftybassist View Post
    I have had the same problem recently. My personal suspicion is that it has something to do with the bass frequencys coming from the amp. The E,A,and D stings have more bass in them. So if the amp is really boosting the bass frequency there can seem to be a sudden drop of volume to the G string. It really just a sudden drop in bass freq. ??? I could be totally off though. I'm not an expert. I just thought I would put my $0.02 in. I found that if I cut the bass eq on my bongo and then increased the volume accordingly it helped quite a bit. Maybe cutting bass off the amp's eq would help too. (Not really a solution though, especially if you like big meaty bass tone) Personally I'm gonna try some thicker strings (power slinkys) to see if having a thicker G adds some more lows to that string.
    That's a good point. Depending on the rig, there are usually tradeoffs when you start accenting frequencies.
    ...Bryan

    194-59-21-01 Sterling Silver Sterling5 HH Rosewood MHS F28514 3/14/11

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    "Not to state the obvious, but why not just raise the pickup on the G-string side? You stated it's not to EBMM standards. Why not?"

    Well, that's the thing. If I raise the pickup on the G side any more then the strings will be extremely closer to the pickup than the 4.76mm recommended by the EB website. I can boost the treble on the amp but like someone stated, I lose the low-mids that I play with. Any more suggestions?

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    I've heard that getting the pickup too close to the string can actually have an adverse affect. Maybe that's the problem. I know...shooting blind here.
    ...Bryan

    194-59-21-01 Sterling Silver Sterling5 HH Rosewood MHS F28514 3/14/11

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Smile

    1. set up your bass to stock specs as reccomended by eb.

    2. start with your amp flat, make minor adjustments from there, try not use excessive eq on your amp or bass.

    3. call customer service.













    toss the dr's and install some slinkys
    Last edited by nationalmanslo; 08-02-2007 at 12:58 PM.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    I intend to call customer service if I can't fix this myself (which is what I was hoping to do). Any more suggestions?

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mynan View Post
    I've heard that getting the pickup too close to the string can actually have an adverse affect. Maybe that's the problem. I know...shooting blind here.
    this is true. pickups being too close to a have a stronger magnetic pull so the stings vibrate less.

    Quote Originally Posted by nationalmanslo View Post
    1. set up your bass to stock specs as reccomended by eb.

    2. start with your amp flat, make minor adjustments from there, try not use excessive eq on your amp or bass.

    3. call customer service.

    toss the dr's and install some slinkys
    1) yup
    2) yup
    3) yup

    re: the DR strings. did you crimp the string before cutting it? DR specifies that you should crip their strings before cutting it. if you didnt do that you may have screwed up the string

    Quote Originally Posted by radial View Post
    I intend to call customer service if I can't fix this myself (which is what I was hoping to do). Any more suggestions?
    yes, is the bass new? if so call your dealer or take it to them and see what they can do for you.

    -arin

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Neither One of my balls ever gave me a problem with G string...

    Haha,

    No seriously though set it to factor specs, and see what its like. Also is this a problem you only notice when playing with a band?

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    I recently had a set of DRs that came of of the box deader than my mom. My guitar guy said he sees a bit of that.

    A kinder, gentler collection...

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Yes I did crimp the strings before cutting. My bass is not new; I bought it used. I'm going to lower the pickup a smidge (like the word?) today. I'll report back if I have any luck.

    Yes, the band setting is when I notice it the most because I can't hear the g string at all.

    I'll get back with you guys if lowering the pickup helped. Thanks for the help so far!!

    Deryc

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    I've never had an issue with string balance on any of the four SRs I've owned. (Two Balls, two pre-Balls.) We're talking about going through a variety of amps, preamps, and direct studio set-ups. I have, however, had issues with the pickup on my '77 being too close to the D string. For a while, I thought it was a fretout and then learned otherwise. After lowering the pick-up, all was cool. I hate to say it, but I suspect your ears are over-sensitive or you got a bum string in the pack. Best of luck resolving this.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    This is an issue I've seen quite a few times here,and had the same experience myself. PB even addressed the issue here a while back. I have owned a total of 8 MM basses in the past,still own 3,and 5 of them had the weak d and g string problem. Raising the pickup doesn't help,and neither does changing strings. And no amout of set up changes will fix it either.The issue is in the pickup.I swapped the pickups out with an aftermarket,and the problem went away. There are some MM basses out there that have a weak d and g string. That's it. The three I currently play don't have that issue.I wish I could remember what PB said about this. I'd do a pickup swap with an aftermarket,and that will solve the problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums