JP 20th Anniversary
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: olp?

User Info Menu

olp?

im looking to get a stingray, and as it is i have very very little money. so ive decided to swallow my pride and look into the olp. what do you guys think? i really want a mm but i dont have the money. so i thought id get an olp break myself in on it for a while then when i get the cash move up to the real deal. does this sound like a good game plan? id go for the sub. but its just not doing it for me. it looks a little to funky for my tastes. i dont relaly like that textured finish. any comments or suggestions would be great. thanks.
    Travis

User Info Menu

I'd advise you not to proceed with any of the 2 purchases(neither theolp nor the sub). What is your budget exactly? Let me put it this way. Imagine spending your money on an OLP or a SUB. When you have it in your hands and start reading all our posts about our original StingRays etc etc, you will immediately regret it. And of course they won't be worth reselling because they're not so much collector's items. I'd strongly advise you to get an original StingRay used(even really heavily used). After all it is a classic, you can repair it etc etc. And of course you will immediately enter the "rich" club or the V.I.P club consisting of Stingrays, Bongos and Sterlings exclusively...........

User Info Menu

As much as I hate to say anything about non EB basses here, you might want to check out the G&L Tribute basses. I haven't had the oppotunity to play one yet, but they look sweet, have the real Fullerton pups and are said to have been manufactured with good quality control.
    Starting to think about returning to bass playing in the very near future.

Larry

User Info Menu

Originally posted by Mobay45
    G&L Tribute basses.

Man, nothin's like the original. You always regret it when you are the owner of an imitation. You will feel really bad when in a gig a guy shows up with the original US GL 2000 and you have the Asian cousin.

User Info Menu

yap

i almost got an OLP couple months back
    but well ...

if really really possible as the forumites said
    better off getting a SR5 used in good condition
    than olp

for the 250 i think olp are great basses
    but well ... sr5 is the original

johan

User Info Menu

well my budget..... uhh... how bout no job, having to pay for gas and insurance and a girlfriend. and i know how it feels to have an imitation. i have a squier at the moment.

User Info Menu

Originally posted by skabassist13
    and a girlfriend.

Sorry for being a bit......

Do you pay for her as well?

User Info Menu

Originally posted by Mantaray
    Man, nothin's like the original. You always regret it when you are the owner of an imitation. You will feel really bad when in a gig a guy shows up with the original US GL 2000 and you have the Asian cousin.
    Hey, I totally agree with what you're saying, but most of us didn't start out or even make our first upgrade to a bass of the quality that we play now. As I said before, I have not had the opportunity to try these basses out but everything I have read says they are a very good value. Good value was probably not at the top of most of our lists when we decided to buy a Stingray, Sterling or Bongo. Not that they are not well worth the beans, it value just usually isn't the priority when purchasing this level of instruments.

User Info Menu

MM has excellent prices on what they sell without having a quality problem. I'll have to say though I like my Sting Ray a lot better than the S.U.B.

I mean like, nothing against it but I like my String Ray better!!

User Info Menu

I agree, save up for the higher end MM's like a Bongo or a Stingray, you won't regret it. Even if its a second hand and worn down. They are still sweet.
    ...and on the 8th Day...God created Music Man Guitars...I love God.

User Info Menu

Do you pay for her as well?

yes and no. yes i pay for her dinner, movies, gifts, etc., etc. and no i dont pay for her like that.

User Info Menu

yes and no mantaray. i buy her movies, dinner, gifts, etc, etc. and no i dont pay for her like that. and so you know i dont really appreciate that comment. i find it to be quite offensive to her and me.

User Info Menu

If a man has enough "horse sense"to treat his wife like a thoroughbred, she will never be an old nag!

Thoroughbreds cost money!!

User Info Menu

word.

User Info Menu

i got an olp its a wonderful investment never played a stingray but the olp for passive picups souds pretty sweet
    and if u decide to get it u coould always sell it for like 150 200 bucks and put that money towards a ray! thats what im gonna do