Joe Dart

Thread: String number

User Info Menu

String number

What's the deal with all these strings on bass guitars? 5 strings is pretty sweet, 6 is a little out there for me, but i can understand it, but 7 strings??? 8?? WHY? It's insanity. I can't even fit my hand around the neck. Why does someone playing a bass guitar need to play notes that high? Does anyone here play a 7 string or more? What do you use all those extra strings for? I personally think it's a gimmick, but maybe some people actually have a use for it...

User Info Menu

Just because you can't fit your hand around something doesn't mean there isn't a practical use for it.
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

4 - standard

5 - bonus ... i seldom use the low B, just happy i have it hanging there ...

6,7,8 - extended-range, really if you are into more harmonics and melodys stuffs ... really sweet for chords too. unless you are into this melody, classical way of playing, no use of them really. I once had a 6 too...

User Info Menu

I thing the 5 string is perfect, I play the B string all the time! Anymore strings and you are just going higher on the strings, last time I checked Bass meant LOW!

User Info Menu

Mark, you just made me bust a gut!

User Info Menu

What you should do is get a six banger and string it up like this:

F#BEDAG

Talk about low end, baby!