(but for guitar its maple>rosewood)
    vegetarian!!!!

User Info Menu

...hey I like maple...
    c h r i s
    'Exerting my Low End authority as I see fit.'

User Info Menu

fretboard

Maple necks, atleast in my opinion, give better definition than rosewood.

User Info Menu

All that I ever played was rosewood until I bought my ray, there are advantages to both according to what kind of music that you play.

User Info Menu

and ebony is better than both of them
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

As far as I can see, the only time the fret board should make a diff is when you are playing a fretless. Otherwise, the part of the string that vibrates is between the fret and the bridge, which are both metal.
    Starting to think about returning to bass playing in the very near future.

Larry

User Info Menu

Originally posted by Mobay45
    As far as I can see, the only time the fret board should make a diff is when you are playing a fretless. Otherwise, the part of the string that vibrates is between the fret and the bridge, which are both metal.
    That's not entirely correct. Many different factors are involved in the "sound" of an instrument. Maple is a harder wood than rosewood - so therefore a "brighter" sound. While I've found this isn't such an important factor with Stingrays due to the humbucker and electronics are so distinctive. But with say a Jazz bass, it will make a big difference. I have a jazz with rosewood and one with maple (same bass otherwise) and there is a difference in tone.

YOU SAID: "the part of the string that vibrates is between the fret and the bridge, which are both metal"

Yes, but the fret is "seated" in either rosewood, maple, etc. and this DOES influence the overall tone of the instrument.
    Last edited by cgworkman; 05-28-2004 at 10:40 AM.
    c h r i s

User Info Menu

I'm not trying to be argumentative (although apparently that's where I'm headed) but it still seems to me that "brightness" is tone and tone can be augmented either through the instrument or the amplifier. This of course is just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.

User Info Menu

Yes and I agree. I'm not trying to fuel an argument either because this is one big happy forum/server!

I used the wrong word when I said "brightness". I should have stuck with tone. There's a certain tonal property with each fretboard materinal. Yes, things can be augmented via an EQ - but there are certain colorations from each material.

So I guess were both right!!

See? One big happy family server forum type thing...
    c h r i s

User Info Menu

Hey, a good discussion of opposing viewpoints never hurt anyone. (Although it might have p***ed off of few.) I enjoy an exchange of ideas. How else can you ever make a well informed decision. Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
    BTW - My ray and my P-copy are both RW, my '79 P is maple and the Yamaha RBX775 that will be here Tuesday is RW. I've had the P since it was new and it's the only maple I've ever had.

Larry
    Starting to think about returning to bass playing in the very near future.

Larry

User Info Menu

I have 2 '79 Fender Jazz - one Maple, the other Rosewood - My Honey Burst SR5 is also maple - MY Lakland 55-02 is Maple and my Fender American DLX Jazz V is pao ferro (actually I'm waiting for the UPS man to deliver this one....)

Have a good weekend!
    c h r i s

User Info Menu

Purpleheart is the best fingerboard for fretless that I've used yet although a coated maple fretless seems like it'd be fun.

User Info Menu

Originally posted by Psychicpet
    Purpleheart is the best fingerboard for fretless that I've used yet although a coated maple fretless seems like it'd be fun.
    Yeah - but maple fretless' look fugly to me.....IMO
    c h r i s

User Info Menu

Originally posted by Aussie Mark
    and ebony is better than both of them
    i think ebony is best with fretless not fretted

User Info Menu

Originally posted by johans
    i think ebony is best with fretless not fretted

I think ebony has it's place in the big picture somewhere but just not on fingerboards...
    but that's just lil' ol' me except if we're talking upright fingerboards then ebony is nice to have but rosewood still works nice for that too.