VPJr Tuner
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've killed my bass' finish

User Info Menu

I've killed my bass' finish

Now, you have to understand that I DO sweat when I work hard, the bands that I have played in DO work hard, and I have totally destroyed the finish on the back on my '88 EB MM Stingray 5. Its like I have melted the beautiful red finish to the point where it has curled off the body to expose bare wood and a pealed finish that looks like I burned it off with a blowtorch.

What's with that?

Anyone else experience anything like that?

User Info Menu

I think that sounds awesome -- glad you are using it for what it was designed for. Got any pix?

A kinder, gentler collection...

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like Mojo...
    It's all about the bass!

My Stuff:
    2007 Bongo: Candy red, abalone, HHp - My number one!
    Ampeg SVT8-Pro
    Little Mark II Custom 1x12 Combo

User Info Menu

there is tons of people paying high bucks for relic instruments :P

It's an evidence that an instrument that is played a lot will be worn one day I think, It's 19 years old after all!
    Gear:
    2009 Rosewood BFR Sterling 4HS Tobacco burst
    2004 SR5 Limited Edition Radiance Red, Maple
    Makbass Little Mark II, STD 104 H

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty effin sweet to me, man.
    MySpace

Pearl Red Burst JP6 fully loaded born on 5/24/07.
    White Luke w/ Matching Headstock born 10/11/07.

User Info Menu

There was a year where the finish had some problems like the one you describe. Not sure if it was 1988 or not. A search may assist with finding the explanation.
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

No pics, it didn't happen.

My '86 is a little darker in the "money" area, between about 3rd and 5th position or so. I haven't played a whole lot of 4-string for awhile, but if I played one bass for 19 years then mine would probably look like that too.

User Info Menu

IIRC that was the year that the case company switched the glue in the cases and it had some weird effect on those finishes. I could be wrong though!

Pics please!!!
    Andrew

Carbon Blue Pearl HH SR5
    Dargie Delight HS SR5
    Trans Red H SR5

User Info Menu

Yea that sounds like the infamous melting paint, due to the new glue they used in the cases. Has it happened to any bass other than that one?
    1997 Sterling black/black/maple
    1992 Stingray Fretless 2eq trans teal/black
    Epifani PS600
    Epifani UL310

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverburst View Post
    I think that sounds awesome -- glad you are using it for what it was designed for. Got any pix?

I'll have to get something posted. It started with the finish wrinkling up and then kind of pealing off in the center of the back of the bass. The finish is worn through it the normal wear spots from playing, but this was more like self-destructing. I was going to have it refinished in a Harley Davidson theme but just never got around to it.

User Info Menu

Don't touch it man!

It'll look killer as it is.

That's no doubt a nice (almost) vintage MM bass you got buddy.

Pix please!

User Info Menu

I call that character. You should see my LE bongo...
    It is heavily "characterized" by my live playing. I will post pics of it in a different thread later....but, I don't want to give everyone a heart attack.

I am really interested in seeing pics.....so, if you would, please post some.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

Forum legend...1988 almost 2008....hmmmmm
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

I demand compensation.

None of my basses have a "money" area.
    -Ben

User Info Menu

it adds character my '88 has the finish sluffing off in certain areas and is very discoloured. it has a teal finish that looks like a dark blue green kind of like the pacific ocean...all cause of age and smokey bars
    1988 EBMM Stingray 4 - 2EQ Trans Teal
    1989 EBMM Stingray 4 - 3EQ Sunburst
    1989 EBMM Stingray 4 Unlined Epoxied Fretless - 2EQ Black