Ernie Ball CRNR Keith Richards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Some Effects For My New Bongo

I recommend buying an overdrive pedal and cranking it. Then give the guitarist a run for the money. Reason being if you don't do it now, that guitarist will turn into a ego freak and everything any other bass player plays with him will revolve around his solo's. On a serious note, I like to use chorus only. And no I don't have anything against jazz musicians. I was asked to play in my schools Jazz band my freshman year, but I opted to go play at a place called Jimmy comers tractor shed and play southern rock with a bunch of older rednecks. Best decision I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB
    Don't listen to Jack.
    That is almost always good advice, but....effects in a jazz ensemble?

Quote Originally Posted by ZakDuarte View Post
    Effects for messing around in your room on a rainy day.
    Ditto...
    It's all about the bass!

My Stuff:
    2007 Bongo: Candy red, abalone, HHp - My number one!
    Ampeg SVT8-Pro
    Little Mark II Custom 1x12 Combo

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    Im not talkin about distortion or emo crap i want stuff like alphonso johnson and that type of jazz fusion sound
    Lava Pearl Bongo 4 HH

don't waste your money... instead invest in time so you can get better with techniques and learn to play your instrument more creatively... that goes much much further than you cranking out some root notes using the latest overdrive pedal.... yep.
    Jeff

Bass:
    S.U.B 5 Black

2007 LE Blue Dawn Bongo 5 HH

SWR SM-900 Head
    SWR 8x10 Megoliath

all these rules

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    It's Jazz, couldn't make it any worse could it?

"this place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a supervisor with a sub-machine gun"

Monkey Likey

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
    The only effect I need is my Bongo.

K.I.S.S.

Well, a touch of compression, maybe, but that's it. A good rig won't need anything.

Here's a tip gained from playing bass for longer than you've probably been alive if you're still in school (not that I'm any GOOD, mind you, but I've been there and done that a few times over).

Effects can sound great IF you're playing by yourself.

But the fact is that except for practice, you're never playing alone.

You are part of a team. How YOU sound does not matter to the audience or to the other musicians. How the BAND sounds is all-important. When you listen, do you listen only to yourself or do you listen to the whole thing? The latter is what counts.

It's all about the music and serving the song, not just your tone.

A school jazz band is going to be big. There's a great deal of sonic information coming out of a group like that...lots going on. So the more you do to muddle your sound (and all effects do that to one degree or another) the worse the final product will be.

If multiple musicians are competing for the same sonic space, the result is more noise than music. You have to make room for each other. Adding effects to the bass gives it overtones that crowd in on the melody instruments.

In my band (a five-piece soul/Motown/old-school R&B band) the keyboard player and I are always talking about this... working together to give each other room to be heard. And we're both messing with our dynamics to let the singer stand out.

Keep it pure, keep it clean, EQ it right (mids are your friend, avoid "smiley face" EQ curves) and let your fingers do the talking. Less really is more. Being exactly on time and carrying the groove will get you a lot farther than any effect ever invented.

But if you must...

Go pick up a BassPODxt or whatever the current equivalent is, and put in the time and knob-twiddling to really figure out how it works. It'll keep you busy for years. At the end of that journey, chances are pretty good you'll realize (like most of us geezers) that a plain, unadulterated bass sound really does work better after all.

But at least you'll have gotten it out of your system.
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

+1 ad

I had a BassPODxt Live for a while because I was using a PA amp to power my cabs. I played around with the effects and it was fun. I really liked the Phase90, so when I went to my Markbass rig and ditched the POD I bought an MXR Phase90 pedal and, again, really liked it. Then I started listening to recordings of our rehearsals. On the recordings, whenever the Phase90 was on, my SR5 lost its balls. The volume was there, but it wasn't cutting through the mix.

I use some overdrive now and then when I play at my church and there isn't a guitar player...and sometimes just to intimidate guitar players during rehearsals, but for the most part I'd say clean is the way to go for bass.
    ...Bryan

194-59-21-01 Sterling Silver Sterling5 HH Rosewood MHS F28514 3/14/11

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by mynan View Post
    I use some overdrive now and then when I play at my church and there isn't a guitar player....
    Me too. In my other band (currently on hiatus due to the singer having cancer-related throat surgery), there is no lead guitarist, so I have to play the occasional distorted lead hook.

But it's off 99 percent of the time. I even take it out of the signal chain for sets when I'm not playing those specific songs.
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

when I was in my school jazz band we had to walk uphill both ways in cut time, and there were no effects, you young whipper-snapper......

All kidding aside, when it comes down to it - it is your art and your sound should be your own.

Having played in everything from 3 piece jazz cocktail trios to full 25+piece swing bands, though, I have to agree w/ ad that the bass needs to come through clear at the foundation, not adding mud to the mix. I have only ever found compression to add sustain when playing a lead melody to be useful. I have also found that the range of tone possible on the Bongo is a lot of fun to mess with.

Have fun with it, whatever you do!
    aka Dr. Bongo
    play 2 Bongos, and call me in the morning....

http://www.thebluebayouband.com

Quote Originally Posted by SharonG View Post
    when I was in my school jazz band we had to walk uphill both ways in cut time, and there were no effects, you young whipper-snapper......

All kidding aside, when it comes down to it - it is your art and your sound should be your own.

Having played in everything from 3 piece jazz cocktail trios to full 25+piece swing bands, though, I have to agree w/ ad that the bass needs to come through clear at the foundation, not adding mud to the mix. I have only ever found compression to add sustain when playing a lead melody to be useful. I have also found that the range of tone possible on the Bongo is a lot of fun to mess with.

Have fun with it, whatever you do!
    If you think im one of thoes ** bags that plays gay emo music i dont, i cannot stand new music im into 50's 60's and 70's stuff and most progressive/ fusion jazz. But most of the time i listen to frank zappa. im just lookin for a cool sound the alphonso johnson when he was with Billy Cobham George Duke Band
    Last edited by bovinehost; 09-26-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    Lava Pearl Bongo 4 HH