Mariposa Green
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass DI

User Info Menu

Bass DI

Hi guys,

This isn't really about musicman basses but I hope you can help me
    I play in 2 bands and only have one amp, and instead of buying another amp, i am looking for a DI box so i can put my bass directly to the mixing desk.
    Only problem is I have no clue at all of what is a good DI box, let alone or it is really suited for bass..

Anyone who knows what might be a good buy??

Thanks!
    2007 Stingray HS
    1978 Stingray

User Info Menu

You have quite a few to choose from, one of the best ones has been known as the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI and there are quite a few of them available all with difference add-on circuitry such as cabinet emulator or even tube emulators, but the one recognized as the industry standard up to now is this one:

TECH 21 - SansAmp Bass Driver DI

Mark Bass has brought out also their own version and this is one I would be really interested to try

MARKBASS

User Info Menu

The Radial DI and Demeter tube DI are both good units. I own both and have never had problems. The Radial is the best for passing your signal through unaltered in my opinion from what I have tried.
    You can never have too many balls!

User Info Menu

The Avalon U5 is amazing

User Info Menu

The markbass DI looks like it will serve it's purpose and isn't that expensive...but the Tech 21, 250 dollars for a DI, i wonder if it's worth that much just for the extra preamp?
    2007 Stingray HS
    1978 Stingray

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
    The markbass DI looks like it will serve it's purpose and isn't that expensive...but the Tech 21, 250 dollars for a DI, i wonder if it's worth that much just for the extra preamp?
    Well it depends on how deep your pocket is, really. The Sansamp allows you sound modelling features that other don't. I've mentioned before cabinet emulator for one, and that in itself is a great feature to have, if you need to spice up an otherwise dry sound.

User Info Menu

Countryman is the industry standard!

User Info Menu

The markbass and radial pro 48 are the most budget friendly options i think, but quality as well. I think i'll go for one of these, the Eq on my musicman should be sufficient

EDIT: thanks for your replies!
    Last edited by Bart B; 05-26-2009 at 09:05 AM.
    2007 Stingray HS
    1978 Stingray

User Info Menu

I use the Radial JDI and like it.
    Sterling HS
    LMK 2 chan head
    Bergie 1 x 12's
    MB STD 1 x 12
    and lotssss more

User Info Menu

Maybe spend a little more and get the Radial Bassbone, very handy if you might waht to eq or boost your sound, or if you use two different instruments.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

While I give a +1 on any and all Radial products it is important to select the right DI for your application.

If you running your active Music Man basses only the passive JDI is the way to go. The use of the Jensen transformer will relay the most transparent signal possible to the sound board while eliminating any unwanted noise.

If you are also going to be running passive basses I would look at the J48 which is an active version of the JDI. The active design help prevent signal loss when splitting a passive bass signal (which doesn’t occur when using an active instrument.) and it is strong enough to handle a hard driving low end bass line without choking.

If you need a DI with the added option of an EQ the BassBone is great. Check out my review of the 25th Anniversary bass, I used a BassBone set flat as the DI straight into the camera.
    -boombox

Brandt Bourque

Owner - Music Inc. of Louisiana
    Music Man Dealer
    www.musicinc.com
    www.facebook.com/musicincgonzales

brandt@musicinc.com

SR5H Trans Gold
    Bongo 4 HH White Pearl/Stealth

User Info Menu

the dbx db10 Passive DI is a nice, high quality DI box at a very reasonable price... about $80 US. I've owned Countryman and Radial JDI and I think this is every bit as good and it's built like a tank!
    2004 Stingray 4H (Honeyburst w/ White)
    2004 Bongo 5HS (Carbon Blue w/ Black Pearl)
    SWR 550X
    SWR Big Foot (2x12)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brandt@TPB View Post
    While I give a +1 on any and all Radial products it is important to select the right DI for your application.

If you running your active Music Man basses only the passive JDI is the way to go. The use of the Jensen transformer will relay the most transparent signal possible to the sound board while eliminating any unwanted noise.

If you are also going to be running passive basses I would look at the J48 which is an active version of the JDI. The active design help prevent signal loss when splitting a passive bass signal (which doesn’t occur when using an active instrument.) and it is strong enough to handle a hard driving low end bass line without choking.

If you need a DI with the added option of an EQ the BassBone is great. Check out my review of the 25th Anniversary bass, I used a BassBone set flat as the DI straight into the camera.
    I checked out your video, seems like the DI I am looking for (not to mention the bass, too) thanks!
    2007 Stingray HS
    1978 Stingray

User Info Menu

Get a JDI, your sound guy will be impressed.
    ANDREW

Old Smoothie with Roasted Maple Neck
    StingRay 5 Classic in Powder Blue
    Aguilar DB751,TH500,DB112x2
    Bergantino NV610
    A-Designs-REDDI Tube DI

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Wazoo View Post
    You have quite a few to choose from, one of the best ones has been known as the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI and there are quite a few of them available all with difference add-on circuitry such as cabinet emulator or even tube emulators, but the one recognized as the industry standard up to now is this one:

TECH 21 - SansAmp Bass Driver DI

Mark Bass has brought out also their own version and this is one I would be really interested to try

MARKBASS

what he said !! sansamp is killer