Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stingray 5 Alnico vs Ceramic Pup Pole pieces

Honestly, I don't think any SR5 will sound like a SR4. They're still different preamps, body shape, neck size, different trees that the wood came from, etc. For a SR4 tone, you should get a SR4, nothing else. With that said, I think you should try a Bongo
    Rafael

Silhouette Hardtail Black, Tortoise Pickguard, Rosewood Fretboard, Matching headstock, S.N. G28918 born 7/11/05

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the pickup placement different on the SR5? I think it's about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch closer to the neck than the 4 string. If so, that would have a significant effect on the tone. It doesn't take much... compare a 70's Jazz to a 60's Jazz - 1/4" difference in the bridge pickup placement.
    www.edfriedland.com
    www.thebasswhisperer.com
    The Bass Whisperer on Youtube

Stingray 4 H Sunburst

Quote Originally Posted by EdFriedland View Post
    isn't the pickup placement different on the SR5?
    Is it really? I didn't know that. I guess someone can confirm it for sure, but that is interesting.
    1994 Sterling The INVADER Bass
    My short films can be found on http://www.youtube.com/user/TheEyeballKids - feedback always appreciated!

Blog Entries
    ED you are spreading urban legend....5 nights of smooth jazz is your punishment!

it is the same position but is a different instrument!
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

Thanks for all your posts guys. I need to be clear here - I understand these 2 basses will never sound identical, for a start one is alder the other ash. but currently I feel they are poles apart sonically. if you get a Fender Jazz 4 and 5 or a warwick Streamer 4 and 5 they do sound very similar. I just don't feel this is the case with my SR4 and SR5.

When playing slap on your SR5 where do you guys generally have your switch set and what eq settings do you go for on either the Bass or on your amp?

Cheers

middle position on the switch with a little bass boost, mid set on flat and 50% dimed out treble but then again the treble depends a lot on the fresh vs old strings i.e. if my strings are nice and bright I'll dime the treble if they are old and tired I'll boost the treble.

You can never have enough bass so I will always boost the bass a quart

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksolid View Post

When playing slap on your SR5 where do you guys generally have your switch set and what eq settings do you go for on either the Bass or on your amp?

Cheers
    1st position (closest to bridge) bass up 1/3 midrange flat and treble up a little bit or flat depending on the room.
    I run my amp basically flat with a little bump in the low mids. I adjust treble and bass to the room if needed

Thanks for all your posts guys. I need to be clear here - I understand these 2 basses will never sound identical, for a start one is alder the other ash. but currently I feel they are poles apart sonically. if you get a Fender Jazz 4 and 5 or a warwick Streamer 4 and 5 they do sound very similar. I just don't feel this is the case with my SR4 and SR5.

Cheers
    Well, i would have to disagree about 4 and 5 string fenders and warwicks sounding the same. Each peice of wood presents a different tone depending
    on grain, density,shape,thickness,ect. that go's for the whole guitar, body and neck.
    Ive personaly owned a s$%^ load of guitars and basses and very rarely
    do they ever sound quite the same.
    If you ever go to a big music store say guitar center, and tried a handful of
    the same brand of basses you might find that one that stands out from the others, It just has that special sound/tone about it, it's the wood.
    I would suggest you keep the SR5 and find you another older SR4 for that tone you want.
    Music is food for the soul...And i'm hungry.

The OP was debating about Alnico vs. Ceramic as I recall
    Last edited by Grand Wazoo; 06-04-2009 at 06:52 PM.

I see nothing objectionable so far.

Cheers
    Switch in parallel setting, a little bass boost, mids flat and treble flat or slightly boosted, depending on the condition of my strings.

I own 2 fretted SR5's: an '88 (ash/maple) which would have alnico pole pieces, and a late '92 (alder/rosewood) that I'm guessing has the ceramic.
    Overall I prefer the ceramic, but not by a wide margin; however, the slap-tone of the alnico cuts through the mix better. But what I hear might also be due to the difference in body & fingerboard woods as well. ???

I have two EBMM's with ceramic pickups (Sterling5 and Stingray5 below) and when played in the "classic" pickup position they sound different. Maybe that has to do more with the maple/rosewood circular debate....carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRalf View Post
    ...I think you should try a Bongo
    +1 on that!!
    Bongo 6 Stealth Black HH
    www.monttrio.cl

IMO nothing sounds like an SR4.

And even among this model there are huge differences: The type of body wood, rosewood or maple board, 3 band or 2 band EQ, and most of all the individual pieces of wood. The downside is: You'll never find two instruments sounding exactly the same. The upside is: It's a great excuse for yet another bass in the stable ;-)
    Have bass. Will play.
    Looking for Sessions in Switzerland. Area: Züri/Winti/Rappi

Music Man Collection Essentials
    MarkBass F1, SansAmp RBI, MarkBass Standard 104HR; MoMark (T1M/42S/MVV)@500, NY604; Minimark
    Holding down the bottom end for Redsteam

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Wazoo View Post
    if my strings are nice and bright I'll dime the treble if they are old and tired I'll boost the treble.
    FYI- since I doubt you use dimes much, you may not know that to "dime" the bass is to crank the knob all the way up to 10. Don't you mean you turn the treble down?
    ANDREW

Sweetwater Sound is now a Music Man dealer! Give me a call at 800 222 4700x1633!

Old Smoothie with Roasted Maple Neck
    StingRay 5 Classic in Powder Blue
    Aguilar DB751,TH500,DB112x2
    Bergantino NV610
    A-Designs-REDDI Tube DI