Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stingray 5 Alnico vs Ceramic Pup Pole pieces

Quote Originally Posted by MingusBASS View Post
    FYI- since I doubt you use dimes much, you may not know that to "dime" the bass is to crank the knob all the way up to 10. Don't you mean you turn the treble down?
    Oh I see the confusion here in my statement, by "dime" I meant... back off or take off some. Not boost. In other words if the strings are nice and fresh I will roll off the treble and if they are old and dead sounding I will boost it a little. Capish?

Oh I got what you were trying to say, but you just said it wrong. A dime is ten cents, get it?
    ANDREW

Sweetwater Sound is now a Music Man dealer! Give me a call at 800 222 4700x1633!

Old Smoothie with Roasted Maple Neck
    StingRay 5 Classic in Powder Blue
    Aguilar DB751,TH500,DB112x2
    Bergantino NV610
    A-Designs-REDDI Tube DI

Quote Originally Posted by MingusBASS View Post
    Oh I got what you were trying to say, but you just said it wrong. A dime is ten cents, get it?
    Understood, here we have pence and pounds (not a lot of them in my case)

back to the agenda, I am and Alnicoholic and the only ceramic is in my toilet!

i wonder how you tell nigel tufnel not to dime everything... gheheh

MrM
    flats for the bongo!
    roundwounds for the fretless!

eb customer support:
    E-mail: musicman_customerservice@ernieball.com
    Telephone: +1 866-823-2255

trussrod adjustment:
    Click here for an image!
    less relief / flatter = lower action
    more relief / bow = higher action
    do NOT use cheap tools to adjust with. they break and scrape up your bass!

if you have a 100th namm sr4: the truss works the other way around on those!

i have no affiliation with eb other than i love their basses

Back on the subject, what I would have to say, and what everybody else seems to be saying is that by replacing the pickup in your sr5 with one from a third party, such as a duncan or dimarzio etc, MIGHT, and this is a big, big maybe, give you the alnico sound you're craving. But you're gonna lose most of the rest of the tones you love, and it's not gonna be the same alnico sound you've got in your 'ray 4.

In short, it's not a good idea at all, in my opinion. If you love most of the stock pup, keep it, because too much of what you love is going away in the replacement.

On top of that, the pickup in your sr5 is designed(along with everything else on the bass) to be used with that bass. Maybe not worth much, but the factory seemed to like that one.
    Basses: Stingray 5 HH Graphite Pearl "Manta"
    A couple fenders
    Ergo instruments electric upright bass
    "firewood" an SX jazz copy.

Amps: None.

Pedals/practice: Korg AX 3000B multi effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Russel View Post
    Back on the subject, what I would have to say, and what everybody else seems to be saying is that by replacing the pickup in your sr5 with one from a third party, such as a duncan or dimarzio etc, MIGHT, and this is a big, big maybe, give you the alnico sound you're craving. But you're gonna lose most of the rest of the tones you love, and it's not gonna be the same alnico sound you've got in your 'ray 4.

In short, it's not a good idea at all, in my opinion. If you love most of the stock pup, keep it, because too much of what you love is going away in the replacement.

On top of that, the pickup in your sr5 is designed(along with everything else on the bass) to be used with that bass. Maybe not worth much, but the factory seemed to like that one.
    So not to be a wise guy or cause trouble but the question needs asking (at least by me) If the factory liked the ceramic, why did they go back to alnico?
    I will admit I really like the tone of older models (and newer) with the alnico. pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon of Eden View Post
    So not to be a wise guy or cause trouble but the question needs asking (at least by me) If the factory liked the ceramic, why did they go back to alnico?
    I will admit I really like the tone of older models (and newer) with the alnico. pickup.
    sterling 5

Blog Entries
    Because we like to offer as many choices as possible. It seemed logical to make the Stingrays Alnico and the sterlings ceramic.

Funny but the 25th that everybody is raving about assumes it is alnico...it is ceramic....

It is a bongo bobbin and cover and ceramic magnet wound to a stingray 4 spec

I think that if I blindfolded most players them could not tell me the sonic difference but who cares? When we did the 25th we started with Alnico and neo dynium and others and the blind test came back 100% for the ceramic one. 1005 and there were top pros involved.

Its all about choices and catering to bias. SOmetimes you cant fight it But I get to tell you that bias is funny and Im not talking about your amp.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

Have had three gigs this weekend and have used both the SR4 and SR5 - both sounded mighty.

I have started trying to move some gear so I can reacquire an SR4.

Sooner or later my local shop will get a 2008 or later SR5 and I am looking forward to hearing it. regardless of the fact that there are heap of other things that will influence tone, such as Body wood etc.

I wouldn't say I have an expert set of ears for picking tonal nuances etc, and I am certainly a person that may be not be able to hear a difference in a blind test.

The fact is, I heard a difference in tone and set out to find the reason for it. It was only after surfing the net that I made the discovery about the pole piece material differences, for the 3 years I have owned my SR5 I assume they were the same as my old SR4. Why wouldn't I make that assumption? They are both after all Stingrays!!

This whole scenario would not exist if it were possible to buy Genuine MM Pups for your MM. But unfortunately this is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksolid View Post
    This whole scenario would not exist if it were possible to buy Genuine MM Pups for your MM. But unfortunately this is not the case.

With good reason. MM Does not sell OEM parts because they want to maintain some brand integrity.

A search will yield many explanations for this that are much better than one I could provide, a few of which will be from the man himself.
    Basses: Stingray 5 HH Graphite Pearl "Manta"
    A couple fenders
    Ergo instruments electric upright bass
    "firewood" an SX jazz copy.

Amps: None.

Pedals/practice: Korg AX 3000B multi effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun's Bass View Post
    When you want your mustang to hit 8.3 in the 1/4 mile you don't go to the dealership and buy a factory motor do you?
    But then it's lost it's Mustang heart...
    Stingray 5 HH Pac Blue Burst : Born 1/24/07
    MarkBass F1
    MarkBass TRV 151p

first off i love my musicman sterling 4 string, made lovingly in 1993 according to the database, but you guys are over the top with the pickup thing.
    Well, I personally am not 'over the top' (exception: Bongos) but you have to understand a couple of simple points here.

1. Most of us really like the Music Man electronics.
    2. This is not the Seymour Duncan forum.

That really is the explanation. I can repeat it ad nauseum but no one wants that. I'm boring enough at present.

if they didn't wear out or sound worse over time then ppl wouldn't even be asking you questions about replacements!
    Funny thing how all those vintage Fenders lose value if the pickups have been replaced. And some of those pickups have been working since the 1950s. You think they sound worse? Worse than what?

This is rhetorical, by the way. There's no good answer to that.

if you don't want ppl to buy from other mfgrs then MAKE A REPLACEMENT that ppl can buy when they want to!
    Actually, Music Man will replace your pickup.

The sound comes from the body of the instrument more than anything regardless of what you think.
    I'm not sure you know what everyone else thinks, frankly. If you want a fight, please go find one elsewhere. We can have the discussion without tossing out a Great Big Truth That Is Really Only One Opinion, I believe.

i've never seen such snobbery as this. ban me block me whatever you want but i call it like i see it. my MM with SD Alnico 3 coil pups kicks major assage in case you care.
    I'm not going to ban you, but understand that your idea of 'snobbery' has never been to, say, the Rickenbacker forum or a number of others I'm familiar with. We're enthusiasts. We like Music Man gear. It's the Music Man forum. This isn't rocket science.

Jack

Blog Entries
    I dont think pickups wear out. You may have more experience than me....

If you want a new pickup send us your bass and we will swap it for a new one

If you dont want to send us the bass send your pickup and we will swap it

There may be a day in the future when we sell replacement pickups...we have a hard time making enough for us as it is.

If you want to talk about any brand of bass other than music man then I guess we are snobs. There are many great forums where people pay band width to pay homage to everything. This is for our stuff.

If you like the Seymour Duncan good on you....I love choices.

I do think that with your 3rd post to come crashing pretty aggressive is like barging into a party and re arranging the furniture. If you want to talk about Music Man products stick around ..there are actually some pretty fun people here...especially if you dont start by attacking.

Play bass and have fun
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

.... I'm boring enough at present.
    Nah. I find you quite entertaining, Mr Bovinehost. Of course, that might just make me boring too
    1977 Stingray - 2 tone sunburst B00XXX
    1991 Stingray 4 - 3 tone sunburst/maple
    2010 Stingray Classic 4 - 2 tone sunburst/maple

my point

the thing that has made me mad the most is that i came to this forum looking for help and answers and got NONE. Every post i searched regarding replacing a pickup was ended shortly by some user telling the frustrated person asking why they were wrong for even suggesting that they might want to change the pup they bought when they bought the bass. my point in even looking here was to buy a MM replacement and get options to make my MM better not to change basses! if not i would have gone elsewhere in the first place, but seeing the treatment ppl recieved from other senior users makes me glad i ordered elsewhere. every time someone walks away from here with no answers to their question and buys from another mfgr a part you don't sell for a problem you don't think exists, you lose money and the companies rep takes a hit. ( if you will replace them then why not make that known to ppl when they ask questions about replacing them instead of making it seem stupid that they might actually want to put a new one in and that they are made of gold straight from the hand of god.)
    i love my bass as stated earlier. i only own ONE bass and have for 16 years. every note i have played in my playing career has been played on this bass. i don't want another one, i want this one to sound (and Look for that matter) like it did when i bought it.when i look at the pictures of these basses posted here i wonder if any of them get played... you really think this hasn't affected my sound? i can tell a difference in my tone throughout the years. if you want to hear some then hit my site and have at it. EVERYTHING on this site has been played with my EBMM Sterling 1993.

Shaun Ritchie Bass.com
    Last edited by Shaun's Bass; 08-01-2009 at 01:12 AM.