Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stingray 5 Alnico vs Ceramic Pup Pole pieces

Shaun you can get a replacement pickup re read Sterlings post. Stick around you'll like it
    Australian Music Man Dealer Contact us
    See Guitar Planet Videos Here

Blog Entries
    How about not getting mad....there are things that truly are worth getting mad but someone who pays for a forum and asks that it be based on the stuff they make isnt a good one in my book. ALso if you want objectivity on the internet you may be disappointed. THe internet is a collection of bias. You read all the perspectives and then make your choice. Our forum really has to be about our stuff otherwise it looses purpose and focus. Also there are so many non commercial forums out there that are totally open that what would be the point? I think that this should be pretty clear...if you want recommendations on other stuff you will be better served at the other stuff site..

I have taken the time to tell you that you can get a new pickup...two different ways.
    I dont think that is what you want. If you want to change the forum it may take more than three posts and some of them acually may have to be friendly.

Lets talk about your bass......If I entered those photos in a 16 year old bass contest most would guess it was 50 years old. Im glad it has been a workhorse but if you wanted things to last longer you might have considered taking a little better care of it.
    Really this is a musical instrument and allowing it to reach the state you have and then bitching to us is a little silly. IF there was a bass abuse hotline it would be calling.

So now lets talk about your sound.....Have you ever changed brand or gauge or alloy of strings in the last 16 years? How about amp? Same amp for 16 years? Same settings? Same effects? Same recording rig and exact set up? Same attack? Same preamp setting s on the bass? Every player I know of sound changes of the years....
    If nothing has changed with yours then you belong in the guiness book of world records.... BTW that was meant to lighten the situation....

On your bass the actual magnet and is ceramic and is underneath the coils and not subject to the neglect the corrosion of the large magnet looking pieces are a cosmetic problem and can be fixed but does not affect the tone in any way since they arent actual magnets.

If you change to someone elses pickup please save the old one....
    Last edited by Big Poppa; 08-01-2009 at 07:28 AM.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Funny but the 25th that everybody is raving about assumes it is alnico...it is ceramic....

It is a bongo bobbin and cover and ceramic magnet wound to a stingray 4 spec
    Aha!! That's the secret!!

I've played a Big Al and it sounded great. I can't wait to try out one of the 25th's.
    PDN Fretless Bongo 5H, Bongo 5HH Tangerine Pearl, '77 Stingray, Aguilar TH500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, 104HF.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksolid View Post
    Hi all,

..........but I am looking for advice here as to how you all think I should try and mimic the tone of my old SR4.

Help!!!
    Steve - the SR5 ceramic in parallel mode (switch position nearest bridge) is designed to, and I think gets the closest to an SR4 sound, including slap. Not sure how an alnico might sound but people here say they're good.

My SR5 has a maple neck and listening to another player AB it against a maple neck Stingray 4 it gave a reasonably close match - but when ABd against my rosewood board SR4HH with bridge pick up selected only my SR4 sounded more different - a bit less aggressive - guess that's the maple v rosewood perhaps

Shaun - your bass does look somewhat beaten up - no doubt it sounds grest though - I think you can clean up the magnet heads (which aren't magnets on the Sterling) with some fine flatting paper (car body repair stuff) - think you'll need some new screws though if you want it to look as new?? Interestingly, my son has a maple board SR4 and was accused by one of his bandmates of having the dirtiest fretboard ever - and it was pretty bad - he said no I haven't - have you ever seen George Porter Jnr's Precision!! It does seem there is a fashion of having dirty and beaten up looking instruments these days.....not my thing though I'm afraid.
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted maple neck with maple board, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic collection coral red/birdseye maple neck and board with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/rosewood board
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple board
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst birdseye maple neck
    1993 SR4 blueburst with flamed maple neck and board
    Markbass LM3/standard 2x10 HF and 2 x 10 Traveller now that's loud!

I didn't read the whole lot thoroughly, but I certainly saw that tempers were rather high.
    So sorry for stiring al this up again, but I need to know.
    Just to get the facts straight:

Stingray4: Alnico. always was, ever will be...

Sterling 4s and 5s: Ceramic. always was...

Stingray5: (and here's the twist!) From its introduction to the release of the Sterling5 Ceramic and from then on Alnico.

Is that right?

So the PU in my '99 Stingray5 is actually .... a ceramic? I never knew that. Not that I ever really cared...

But that may be the reason why I always felt that my '99 SR5 is soundwise closer related to the Sterling 4s than to the Stingray 4s. Even if i switch it in parallel mode...

Comprehension is dawning on me....

Could somebody just nod to confirm all that?
    Or shake the head if absolutely necessary.
    '99 Stingray5
    '83 Stingray

wrong, the Stingray went ceramic only from 2000 to 2008 so yours is alnico, after 2008 it went back to alnico.

I didin't make it up I've learn it here too.

I went to GC today to try out a Stingray HH and they also had a Stingray 5 hanging way up high on the wall. I had them take both down. The SR5 was covered in so much dust and dirt it wasn't even funny. I plugged it in and nothing so I figured the battery was dead. I told the sales guy and he changed the battery and wiped it down. It was in a desperate need of a truss rod tweaking as I couldn't play it from the 5th fret down. However, the rest of the neck was fine and I got to hear it. The neck is very comfortable and the string spacing felt natural. I liked it. I got a very nice tone from that bass. My favorite setting was with the blade toward the bridge. I'm assuming that's both coils in parallel. I don't know if the pickup was ceramic or alnico. Is there a way to tell by looking at them? I didn't get the serial #.

The SRHH sounded great too. The extra pickup definitely adds a lot of tonal options.
    PDN Fretless Bongo 5H, Bongo 5HH Tangerine Pearl, '77 Stingray, Aguilar TH500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, 104HF.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddels View Post
    I don't know if the pickup was ceramic or alnico. Is there a way to tell by looking at them? I didn't get the serial #.

The SRHH sounded great too. The extra pickup definitely adds a lot of tonal options.
    Yes there is. Someone else here told me here how to tell. Ceramic tend to have shiny pole pieces when new. Alnico are a flat gray in color. Next time at GC look at the pole pieces on a Sterling (ceramic) and compare them to a Stingray(alnico). You should be able to see the difference. Hope that helps.
    - Alex
    I'm a left hander who plays right handed, so I guess that makes me confused.

SBMM SB14
    EBMM SUB 5

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Wazoo View Post
    wrong, the Stingray went ceramic only from 2000 to 2008 so yours is alnico, after 2008 it went back to alnico.

I didin't make it up I've learn it here too.
    Actually, the SR5 pickups were alnico from 87-92, then ceramic from 92-08, then alnico from 08-present.
    ...Bryan

194-59-21-01 Sterling Silver Sterling5 HH Rosewood MHS F28514 3/14/11

Great thanks

Hi all! I just registered and want to add my opinion to the question alnico or ceramic.
    A few years ago I bought a second hand SR5 `92 (alnico, rosewood fingerboard), it was a bit beaten up and had corrosion on the pole pieces and had problems with the pickup poles etc. so shortly later I ordered a brand new SR5 built around 2000 (ceramic, maple f.board). Comparing the two to each other I definetly noticed a difference in tone. The old SR5 had more lower mids to it and was therefore cutting through the mix better and had more growl. To cut it short, I sold the new one and held on to the 92`SR5 (pu fixed). I believe the difference came not only from the fingerboard, but from the ceramic pickups and the different electronics. The old one doesn't have the phantom coil though, so you get hum in the single coil setting. Also the neck position (series mode) is a bit louder than the other two. This was more in balance on the ceramic one. So after all you have to die one death!

Whew!
    Liquid Titanium

I'm not one to modify any of my basses..... I think that if you buy gear after you test it, then you bought it based on the sound you heard when you took it for a test drive. For the record.... One of the old SR5's I bought back in 2005 was loaded with the SD and the guy included the factory pickup that he took swapped out on the bass. With the SD it was lacking the tone that a Stingray should have, so within the first 24 hours I was putting the MM pickup back in.
    Basses:
    1996 Stingray Natural
    2004 Stingray Vintage burst w/ matching heastock
    2008 Stingray Natural
    2008 Stingray Piezo 5 Black w/ matching headstock
    2002 Stingray 5 Honey burst w/ matching headstock

Power Plant:
    Mesa Big Block 750
    Mesa 8x10 Powerhouse

Hi guys. First post here.

I have a '93 Stingray and a '04 SR5. I changed the pickup in the SR5 to an alnico model. It definitely does give more of the traditional SR flavour. Having seen this thread last week, I tried changing back to the original ceramic one and it is very different. Doesn't have the growl or bite of the alnico. Much more refined and polite. I think I'm going to leave it that way for now at least. Somewhere in between the the two would be perfect.
    Last edited by aphekgreg; 08-31-2009 at 05:28 AM.

....tried changing back to the original ceramic one and it is very different. Doesn't have the growl or bite of the alnico. Much more refined and polite.
    People are going to like what they like - and that's always been perfectly okay with me. I feel no need, for example, to argue the ceramic versus alnico issue with the hope of reaching a consensus. It won't ever happen, as nearly as I can tell. The consensus, I mean.

If my experience, subjective as it's bound to be, is different from yours, then am I right? Are you wrong? No, not at all.

I've had a ton of SR5s with ceramic pickups, including Heinz the Wonder Bass. Even strung with flats, I wouldn't have described any of them as "polite". (You don't have to try to convince me that yours WAS - I believe you.) I've also had more than a handful of Sterlings, which TO ME were more aggressive, across the board, than Stingrays (alnico).

Jack