Ultra Burly
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is my Bongo so awesome?

User Info Menu

Wazoo's spreadsheet tells one story; the numbers don't lie. But there's another story - guitar making, choosing and playing is an art, and there is always something about art (good and bad) that can't be described by the facts. I know when I bought my first bass (Bongo5), I tried almost everything in the store from several makers priced $500 to $5000; money was not at issue. The OG Bongo5 was the last one I played after I almost had made up my mind on a white SR5. BAM! Sold. Why? I don't know. Looks good, feels good, sounds good; and doggonnit, people like it.

Best answer you've received thus far? AtomicPunk's.

User Info Menu

ITs different...its big.....its brutal....its subtle.....its more than most can handle.....

If you start flat and not dimed and dentered in the pan and make small changes you just cannot believe how you can dial that bad boy in....For the experienced and person wanting an EXACT sound the four band coupled with the pan control is the ultimate.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Why is your Bongo so awesome?

It just is. Deal with it.
    +!!
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by projectapollo View Post

Neck sizes and radius are the same on the 3 models below:
    Is the string spacing the same for the Bongo and SR? I was thinking that the Bongo strings were slightly tighter.
    Yes I've measured them, the spacing on both the Bongo 5 and the SR5 are the same (after all they share the exact same bridge with similarly spaced saddles) and the only reason the SR5 neck width is narrower at the 22nd fret is probably because the Bongo 5 has 24 frets and as a result past the 22nd fret the wood gets wider. But interestingly the 25th also has 22 frets but the width at the 22nd fret is the same as the Bongo 5 on the 24th fret. That one I can't even begin to explain and does it really matter?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Wazoo View Post
    That one I can't even begin to explain and does it really matter?
    Nope! It's only a 1/16" by the numbers. The 25th and Bongo share neck profile and taper; the SR5 is a little different?

User Info Menu

The Bongo has an incredible frequency response. My 5HH is the only 2-pickup bass I've owned that sounds great all the way across the pickup pan. Instead of going from dull to thin, it goes from dark and smooth to gritty and nasty, with supreme fatness in between. Heavenly. And it looks and feels fantastic doing it.

User Info Menu

The Bongo will never die, because you can't kill the best Bass on the planet. Big Poppa said they already tried but they just couldn't do it. It refuses to let go of life.

Besides the Bongo has to many followers, with more converts to come.......

OMB

User Info Menu

Is it true that Bongo is designed in BMW's design studio?
    Does really car designers did that?

P.S. ...I was in BMW factory in Munich about 20 years ago like a visitor, and just in design studio watching how people make cars of clay!

So, was a Bongo at first a piece of clay?

User Info Menu

It's better... really...

...for me!
    It's all about the bass!

My Stuff:
    2007 Bongo: Candy red, abalone, HHp - My number one!
    Ampeg SVT8-Pro
    Little Mark II Custom 1x12 Combo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keko View Post
    Is it true that Bongo is designed in BMW's design studio?
    Does really car designers did that?

P.S. ...I was in BMW factory in Munich about 20 years ago like a visitor, and just in design studio watching how people make cars of clay!

So, was a Bongo at first a piece of clay?
    Not really.

Story is here:

ernie ball musicman bongo history information page

Still needs to be updated...........

User Info Menu

OK, today I was in domestic EBMM store to buy a new strings, and have chance to try for a first time one Bongo!

It was nice blue one (in the middle) HSp 5!

Very, very good bass!
    I spend some time to discover pickup balance settings I like, and 4 band EQ, and finally add some piezo level too, ...very, very nice!

But, expensive too!
    Last edited by keko; 10-24-2009 at 05:49 AM.

User Info Menu

A BLUE bongo? Don't see many of those around! I LIKE!
    I've seen a million basses, and I rocked them all!
    Currently rocking with Shakedown, exclusively on a 2008 Candy Red Bongo.

User Info Menu

Looks A LOT like mine, actually, Grey Dad are we cool on this???
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

The sixer looks fine, too. As much as I love my new Bongo 5HH, I'm already gassing for a 6.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    The sixer looks fine, too. As much as I love my new Bongo 5HH, I'm already gassing for a 6.
    Don't you need fingers as long as Shaq ONeill to play a six stringer??
    Black BIG AL 4SSS
    White Pearl Big Al 4SSS.
    Little Mark Tube 800