The Vault
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I am obsessed with getting a Bongo

User Info Menu

I am obsessed with getting a Bongo

Help guys..I am going crazy.

I love my Sterling. It has a cool aggressive sound that works well with so many rock songs. The neck size is perfect, its just awesome.

But I always wanted two different sounds. The aggressive sound I am currently getting from my Sterling, and a smooth deep rich sound. I can get this tone from the Bongo. Ever since I tried out a Bongo, I just can't get it out of my mind.

The problem is my wife will flip if I got a Bongo. My Sterling and Markbass amps are just a few months old. I do have the money...I can cash some of my company stock which has rebounded nicely.

But the wifey will flip...How can I convince her???
    Black BIG AL 4SSS
    White Pearl Big Al 4SSS.
    Little Mark Tube 800

User Info Menu

Explain your reasoning and the fact you can afford the Bongo to your wife, and then do something nice and unexpected for her as well... Win-win

Andy
    2009 EBMM Dargie Delight II Fretless Big Al 4 SSS
    2006 EBMM 30th Anniversary Stingray 4 H
    1996 sunburst EBMM fretless Stingray 4 H
    1991 natural/maple EBMM Sabre 4 HH

Markbass LM II
    Markbass 104HF

Stupidly sold my HH Desert Gold Bongo 5

User Info Menu

offering to sign a contract in blood might work ... once.

User Info Menu

Ask her to help you look at them. Get her input on color, talk to her about pickup configs. If you can get her interested and feeling like she has input then it will be a team effort. We went together but my wife made the deal on my 25th Anniversary

--Ant
    The surest way to fail is not to try.

* 25th Anniversary 4HSS Venetian Red - Flamed - Rosewood FB - EB Cobalt Super Slinky Strings (Orpheus)
    * Bongo 4HHP- Sapphire Black - Rosewood FB - EB Cobalt Super Slinky Strings (Merlin)
    * Bongo 4HH Fretless - Lava Pearl - Pau Ferro FB - EB Coated Super Slinky Strings (Phoebe)
    * Stingray 4H Burnt Apple -Rosewood FB - EB Cobalt Super Slinky Strings (Yvette)
    * Ray34 4H Honey Burst - Rosewood FB - EB Cobalt Super Slinky Strings (Francis)

User Info Menu

there will be no help from me.

easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
    -Tom
    Fret more, worry less.

Bongo only bass in Tom's life.

Blank-Plank Egyptian Smoke Bongo4H "Nefertiti"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    there will be no help from me.

easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
    Just no help at all!

I love my sterling and my bongo.

I'm no help either
    93 Silhouette 96 Silhouette Recovered!2007.8.3 99 Silhouette Bass Guitar 00 Steve Morse 02 Sterling 02 Petrucci 02 Silhouette 04 Bongo 04 S.U.B. 05 Steve Morse Y2D 06 Silhouette 06 Petrucci 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 07 7 String 10 Honey Burst Silhouette 11Black Sugar Silhouette 12 Ash Floyd Silhouette

User Info Menu

It is YOUR money isn't it?
    Why ask for permission?
    Just buy it!
    Sterling H Honeyburst
    Stingray 5 H Medallion Gold
    Stingray 5 HH Blue Pearl
    Bongo 5 HS Stealth

www.nemesea.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rockon! View Post
    It is YOUR money isn't it?
    Why ask for permission?
    Just buy it!
    It's not as easy as that, is it? Some married couples have joint accounts, and any expenditure must be agreed between both partners. Luckily I am not in the same boat anymore, after our individual divorces me and my current gf have agreed not to get married, we both have children from our previous and we appreciate that situations can always change in life.

I know that when I was married I did have to "comply" with a certain ceiling on expenses. But my gf, she is a cool lady and a lot more understanding, so I have the freedom to do as I like with my cash, just as she does with hers, and she is a lot richer than me, I tell ya.

Powman is in a no win situation and the only way he could possibly persuade his wife is to tell no lies, try a different approach, explain that he doesn't want to miss this chance of getting this "special deal" Bongo and that he is willing to sell the other bass to return part of the funds in the common pot. Which is something he must do if she agrees.

Powman, whatever you do, I wish you luck.

User Info Menu

Screw what the missus will think, buy a damn Bongo and be done with it!

She probably won't notice anyway.

I know it's not the same, but my own mother hasn't noticed my rather intrusive septum piercing, or a big bar going through my ear. The Bongo shall go unnoticed...maybe you should get a Stealth just to be sure though.
    1994 Sterling The INVADER Bass
    My short films can be found on http://www.youtube.com/user/TheEyeballKids - feedback always appreciated!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Wazoo View Post
    It's not as easy as that, is it? Some married couples have joint accounts, and any expenditure must be agreed between both partners. Luckily I am not in the same boat anymore, after our individual divorces me and my current gf have agreed not to get married, we both have children from our previous and we appreciate that situations can always change in life.

I know that when I was married I did have to "comply" with a certain ceiling on expenses. But my gf, she is a cool lady and a lot more understanding, so I have the freedom to do as I like with my cash, just as she does with hers, and she is a lot richer than me, I tell ya.

Powman is in a no win situation and the only way he could possibly persuade his wife is to tell no lies, try a different approach, explain that he doesn't want to miss this chance of getting this "special deal" Bongo and that he is willing to sell the other bass to return part of the funds in the common pot. Which is something he must do if she agrees.

Powman, whatever you do, I wish you luck.
    You just reminded me never to get married or to get joint accounts.
    (always a scenario for disaster haha) ;-)

Good idea Duarte!
    Just get a stealth! (Thats what I did but thats a whole different story)

Yep! We all wish you luck.
    But you allready know you are going to buy it! ;-)
    Sterling H Honeyburst
    Stingray 5 H Medallion Gold
    Stingray 5 HH Blue Pearl
    Bongo 5 HS Stealth

www.nemesea.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powman View Post
    But the wifey will flip...How can I convince her???
    You need to get her involved in your hobby. You need to convince her she needs this Bongo as a first bass and you are willing to order it for her. Check my signature. Hehe. JOSH

CLASSIC STINGRAY White (MHS)
    CAPRICE Natural
    Former owner of...
    BONGO - 4HH (Rolls Burgandy), 4Hp ("Small EQ"/Medallion Gold), 4H (Ice Blue), 5HSp (White), 4H (Black Sugar), 4H (PDN Honey Burst), 4H (PDN Tobacco Burst)
    STINGRAY - 4H (30TH), 4H (Dargie Delight), 4H (VSB/BFR RW Neck), 5H (08 LE)
    STERLING - 4HH (Dargie Delight), 4H (Stealth), 4HS (Natural)
    25TH - 5HH (Venetian Red)
    BIG AL - 4SSS (Olive Gold)

Musicman Cutlass/Caprice Bass Club on Facebook.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry Duarte, but that's just wrong.

I've been married for 23 years and trust me... if you respect your spouse at all you just can't blow her off like that. The consequences are lasting and corrosive.

The smartest thing my wife and I ever did was to set up our marriage ahead of time as a three-way arrangement. I have my own account, she has her own account, and there's a joint "house" account for shared expenses that pays for most stuff. The agreement is that we can spend our own money however we like and the other person has no right to disapprove.

So I don't have to ask permission to buy a bass. And we never, ever fight about money because we don't have to.

Since it's evidently too late for that in Powman's case, I suggest being completely up front and honest with her about your desire (don't say "need"). Come up with ways to address her concerns while still getting what you want. Some ideas:

- Start saving up for it out of your allowance (assuming you have one) and talk about how things are proceeding. This demonstrates responsibility.

- Give up something that she knows you're attached to in order to help fund the purchase. This demonstrates commitment.

- Consider asking her, and everyone else who gives you holiday and birthday gifts, to join forces as well as gift-giving events to help come up with money towards the bass (I've done this... got both families and her to just give me money for something I wanted, and I combined Christmas, birthday and anniversary gifts into one shot). This demonstrates creativity.

- Point out that it takes months to have one built, so you only need to come up with part of the money up front.

Instant gratification is vastly overrated. Be patient and the reward will be all the sweeter.
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

User Info Menu

If you get a Bongo (and you will), the problem will not be the one you have now. The problem will be the many Bongos you will want afterwards. My name is markbass99, and I'm a Bongoholic.

User Info Menu

Listen to the words of Mr. Douglas. He is wise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky(Andy) View Post
    Explain your reasoning and the fact you can afford the Bongo to your wife, and then do something nice and unexpected for her as well... Win-win

Andy
    Hmmm....I am going to try something like this. It will certainly be a change for me...I usually buy stuff, hide it, bring it out later, get yelled at, sleep on the couch for a day or two, then it eventually blows over. But I am worried I have ran out of chances.
    Black BIG AL 4SSS
    White Pearl Big Al 4SSS.
    Little Mark Tube 800