Straps 2020

Thread: SR5 Questions.

User Info Menu

SR5 Questions.

Hey guys, its been a while since I popped my head in!

I have a question. I bought a P bass and was happy for a while, but GAS has set in and Im needing something new.

I got offered a SR5 in Ice Blue Metallic as a trade, brand new, and I want to know something. I like the dead tone of my P bass, with the flats and such. Could a SR5 get me a similiar tone? I want to be able to slap, but Im afraid that an SR5 would gimme that EBMM tone, and thats it.

Dont flame me please! I came here for a reason.

Thanks!
    J.
    Bassist for Alison Tuesday

Current rig:
    MIA Fender Precision -> GK MB2-500 -> Avatar 210 in Orange x2 tolex

User Info Menu

Technically a StingRay 5 with flats will sound a lot darker than with roundwounds and unlike a P Bass has an eq that can boost / or cut freqencies in either direction from the flat point, however a StingRay and a P bass are not the most ideal basses to emulate each other because they are different in so many ways, starting from the pickup placement, which is what gives the P Bass and the StingRay their charateristic individual sounds.

I believe anyone here would stress that you should follow your ears and your heart, in your choice, unless you are able to afford and keep both giving you both options, you are faced with an A/B dicision that no one here will advice you to take. Of course this being an EBMM forum, and the majority of us are here for a reason i.e. the love for these instruments you will appreicate what our choice would be.

User Info Menu

Pics please.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Crawford View Post
    Could a SR5 get me a similiar tone?
    Similar, yes; but if all you're after is a "dead" tone, pretty much any bass can get you what you want. Old flats, tone rolled off, mutes, pluck at the neck, etc. It took me a few years and 20 or so basses to realize that EBMM's can get the sound that's in my head and a whole lot more.

With that said, I'll take that SR5 if you don't want it...

User Info Menu

I have a question. I bought a P bass and was happy for a while
    You thought you were happy.

I got offered a SR5 in Ice Blue Metallic as a trade, brand new, and I want to know something. I like the dead tone of my P bass, with the flats and such. Could a SR5 get me a similiar tone? I want to be able to slap, but Im afraid that an SR5 would gimme that EBMM tone, and thats it.
    I play multiple EBMM basses; mostly all of them sport flats. A few people around the internet, many of them actual "internet experts", have opined that I am insane. That I have somehow neutered my basses. Within this group of "experts", I'd say approximately 0% could find their own ass, using both hands and a GPS.

I have a 20th Anniversary SR5. It has flats on it. It has just about THE most awesomest killer thumpy tone a man, or in some cases, a woman might imagine. Plus it looks much cooler than a Pbass and it has a B string. Also, with the active electronics, I could, if I wanted, really punch up certain frequencies on the fly if what I wanted was a more modern sound. (And it KILLS with a pick.)

So were I in your place, I'd be making that trade like yesterday. Seriously? Nothing wrong with a P bass. Except it isn't a Stingray, is it?

Good luck, my friend. Do the right thing.

Jack

User Info Menu

Trade before that other guy comes to his senses!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 57fenderjazz View Post
    Trade before that other guy comes to his senses!
    Cant argue with that

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I've been an SR5 player for the past (going on) 17 years, and IMO-IME you can approximate a P-bass sound with some EQ tweaks and good muting techniques.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post

so were i in your place, i'd be making that trade like yesterday. Seriously? Nothing wrong with a p bass. Except it isn't a stingray, is it?

Good luck, my friend. Do the right thing.

Jack
    +1!
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

That is a killer deal

Do it.........Do it!
    1. Trans Gold SR5, (Alnico)
    2. Trans Orange SR5, (Ceramic)
    3. Black SR5 (Alnico)
    4. Gremlin Green SR5 (Ceramic)
    5. Trans Green SR5 (Ceramic)
    6. True Gold Bongo 5 H with Torte
    7. Trans Red Sterling 4 Fretless
    8. Blue Dawn LE SR4
    9. Black Cherry Burst SR4

All Lefty

- Dwelling on the banks of the deep end.