BFR June
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: What's under the hood, Mister?

  1. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by shakinbacon View Post
    The competition can buy a musicman and pop the hood any time they want.
    Or, their girlfriend can walk into GC with a camera and screwdriver.
    Cheers
    Mark

    2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

    My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

  2. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by shakinbacon View Post
    The competition can buy a musicman and pop the hood any time they want. I'm sure this has been done many, many times.

    Anyway, I understand where you are coming from Grand Wazoo.
    And this goes both ways. If I recall correctly the Bongo was tested against a famed Precision Bass. This is not to say anything was copied or that anything malicious was going on - but that tests were done comparing to a reference.

    This is very different than blatantly copying a preamp circuit, but the intent is still to get a good tone by using a respected reference for comparison.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the preamp circuit is patented, so there may be protection there.

    Advancements in musical instruments come about just like in any other field - studying the state of the art as well as what works and what doesn't.

    If I was the competition I would want to know why Musicman instruments sound so good too. Many companies have tried to replicate the sound but have missed the mark. It isn't the pickups, the preamps, the wood or the bridge alone imho... its the whole package.

    I don't know what the hell came over me... I'll shut up now.
    2004 Saphire Black/White Pearloid Bongo 5HHp
    Bongo + Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Epifani UL2-112 = Tone
    Review of Coated Slinkies here http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...-slinkies.html
    and flatwound Slinkies here http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...unds-nice.html
    Bongo EQ suggestions here http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...readsheet.html

  3. #18

    User Info Menu

    Thumbs down (not impressed)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Mark View Post
    Or, their girlfriend can walk into GC with a camera and screwdriver.
    Why Mark? A bit below the belt that one.

    We should leave gf's and wives out of these jokes.

  4. #19

    User Info Menu

    WHo said we used the P bass in the deveolpment fo the Bongo....urban legend and untrue

    ii know I didnt and it was my project.

    The competition has seen everything we do. go ahead and post the pics.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

    Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

  5. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    WHo said we used the P bass in the deveolpment fo the Bongo....urban legend and untrue

    ii know I didnt and it was my project.

    The competition has seen everything we do. go ahead and post the pics.
    Thanks Boss, here are the pics














  6. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    WHo said we used the P bass in the deveolpment fo the Bongo....urban legend and untrue

    ii know I didnt and it was my project.

    The competition has seen everything we do. go ahead and post the pics.
    My apologies for spreading an urban legend BP, no offense intended. You know I love the Bongo - I don't play my Precision anymore due to it.

    However, to be fair I got my information from here, (perhaps Bovinehost can update if incorrect): ernie ball musicman bongo history information page

    If you search for "Phil Chen" you will find the following...

    "The 4 band preamp was designed by Dudley Gimpel, with a lot of input from Cliff Hugo and other Musicman artists to help dial in the tone and the functionality. Dudley built a preamp with sweepable mids to find the best center frequencies, and then let the bassists play around with it to find the best points. Phil Chenn brought in the Precision bass that he played on Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow", which still had the original strings, and used that as a reference. "

    P.S. I like your attitude of showing the pics... its kinda like saying to the competition "go ahead and try to find the secret sauce... we're always one step ahead of you"
    Last edited by shakinbacon; 02-16-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    2004 Saphire Black/White Pearloid Bongo 5HHp
    Bongo + Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Epifani UL2-112 = Tone
    Review of Coated Slinkies here http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...-slinkies.html
    and flatwound Slinkies here http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...unds-nice.html
    Bongo EQ suggestions here http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...readsheet.html

  7. #22

    User Info Menu

    I remember that story about Phil Chen, too.
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

    l to r:

    Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

    Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

    Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

  8. #23

    User Info Menu

    GW, thank you very much!

    What to say, beautiful electronic work, everything is so clear and orderly!

    Great job EBMM crew, with all regards!

    Music Man rules, love Ya guys, that's really make my day!

  9. #24

    User Info Menu

    Phil Chen was involved not nearly as much as cliff hugo and he did bring in a precision but it was for him not us
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

    Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

  10. #25

    User Info Menu

    Since we're talking urban legends relative to the innards of this model, I have one I would like confirmed or denied:

    Since the knobs on Bongos, ALs and 25ths are connected directly to the PCBs and not supported by a body mounted jack plate (e.g. Stingray) or by threaded posts and nuts directly on the body (e.g. Sterling), special care must be taken not to break off the knobs.

    Is there really no support? I see a black plate on the inside between the PCBs and the backside of the body. Are the knobs supported by this?

    Thanks!

  11. #26

    User Info Menu

    eh.....i heard somewhere that they can break off !


    cool pic's fran,but i might aswell be looking into a field of helicopters.so going by my usual form i will leave mine alone

  12. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Phil Chen was involved not nearly as much as cliff hugo and he did bring in a precision but it was for him not us
    I had misinterpretted the quote to think EBMM had used the Precision as a reference, and not that Phil Chenn had instead.

    Thanks for the clarification.
    2004 Saphire Black/White Pearloid Bongo 5HHp
    Bongo + Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Epifani UL2-112 = Tone
    Review of Coated Slinkies here http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...-slinkies.html
    and flatwound Slinkies here http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...unds-nice.html
    Bongo EQ suggestions here http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...readsheet.html

  13. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyFlip View Post
    Since we're talking urban legends relative to the innards of this model, I have one I would like confirmed or denied:

    Since the knobs on Bongos, ALs and 25ths are connected directly to the PCBs and not supported by a body mounted jack plate (e.g. Stingray) or by threaded posts and nuts directly on the body (e.g. Sterling), special care must be taken not to break off the knobs.

    Is there really no support? I see a black plate on the inside between the PCBs and the backside of the body. Are the knobs supported by this?

    Thanks!
    DaddyFlip look at the pics carefully,


    look at the base of all the controls and you'll see a coarse metal plate where all the controls are mounted on in a very sturdy way. That metal plates is of the same strength as the actual cover plate. plus every single pot is bolted on to the body through their shaft and secured with an hex nut under the knob, you really need to wack it hard to break it. Ask DGT he knows how

  14. #29

    User Info Menu

    This is all very interesting. But in the end, if there was a shrunken miniature Monkey inside controlling everything, I could care less. All I know is I played one, got blown away by the rich low tones and knew I wanted one. I think mine might arrive in 2 weeks now (ordered Dec 12)!

    ps...don't you all have work to do. What are you doing peaking around where you shouldn't?
    Black BIG AL 4SSS
    White Pearl Big Al 4SSS.
    Little Mark Tube 800

  15. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Wazoo View Post
    DaddyFlip look at the pics carefully,


    look at the base of all the controls and you'll see a coarse metal plate where all the controls are mounted on in a very sturdy way. That metal plates is of the same strength as the actual cover plate. plus every single pot is bolted on to the body through their shaft and secured with an hex nut under the knob, you really need to wack it hard to break it. Ask DGT he knows how

    That's what I thought I saw. Another urban legend demystified and debunked. Thanks GW! BTW... I'm lovin' my 25th!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums