Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Man vs the Germans

User Info Menu

Music Man vs the Germans

I've been on a bass buying binge lately. I purchased a StingRay SLO in Black Magic Crystal / Rosewood and followed that with a StingRay Classic in Surf Green / Rosewood. I've also always had a fondness for a certain German made bass named after a sports car. I had heard that the production on the model was shifting to Korea, which was disappointing many fans of that brand. I had had several of these in the past, so my desire for another one suddenly shot up and I started an Internet search.

An individual in my town purchased the whole inventory of the German company's former USA distributor. I stumbled across him this week and was lucky enough to score a NIB 2 year old model. I was actually able to choose from four of this model picking one with a beautiful grain. I was the first person to touch it since it left Germany. Finally, I was able to purchase it at the distributor's cost (roughly 1/3 of the going retail price) because the owner of the business had lost his real job and has to pay back the loan on the inventory. He's nervous sitting on the inventory. That's the good part for me, anyway.

Beautiful bass? Yes. Well made? Yes. Once-in-a-lifetime price? Yes. Do I really like it? Yes. How does it compare to my Sterling and StingRays? Close, but no cigar! I had forgot why I transitioned away from this brand to Music Man several years ago. I prefer the Music Man products by a clear margin. The necks on my StingRays and Sterling just seem so perfect. And nothing sounds better to me than the growl of my SLO Special StingRay through my Mesa Boogie Walkabout. The German one has a distinct sound which to me sounds a little more like my Sterling HS but more HiFi sounding. I will keep it but if I ever cull the herd, it will be the first to go.

I posted my find on the forum sponsored by the German company. I knew that there were some good opportunities for fans of that brand. I was trying to help, like when I have posted Music Man finds at my local GCs on this forum. i.e. I came across a Classic StingRay in Surf Green and birdeyes maple neck that just came in at one of the GCs. I posted this and someone out of state was looking for one and quickly called and purchased it. I was glad to be of help. A couple of them thought that I was a spammer. Oh well, at least I tried.
    Last edited by Boogie.Man; 03-31-2010 at 08:03 AM.
    Classic StingRay - Surf Green / Rosewood / White
    Warwick Corvette Standard Passive - Bubinga
    Mesa-Boogie 12" Walkabout Scout

User Info Menu

I get it. Thanks
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

I have a "Japanese sword" made by the same company that made your "sports car" and I must agree...both fine instruments, to be sure...but my Bongo just has more useable sounds for a greater number of situations. If I ever get a Big Al, the "sword" might have reason to get nervous.
    Cabernet Pearl Bongo 4 HH
    Chili Red Stingray 4 HH

User Info Menu

Bubinga StingRay

A oil finished, bubinga StingRay with a Sterling neck would sure be nice.....please???

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A little disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by bass-slinger View Post
    I have a "Japanese sword" made by the same company that made your "sports car" and I must agree...both fine instruments, to be sure...but my Bongo just has more useable sounds for a greater number of situations. If I ever get a Big Al, the "sword" might have reason to get nervous.
    I have to say that I have a slight let down after my initial excitement. I mean its quality is great, it looks beautiful, and it cost me less than a new MIM bass. But my Sterling and StingRays have the same attributes but they sound better to me. Perhaps I'm just used to the sound of a Music Man and it feels more normal. I'm now finding that my favorite bass is my SLO Special. Tomorrow, it will probably be something else.

The Big Al didn't ring my bell until I saw a picture of a white one. I liked it.

User Info Menu

No, but Porsche designed a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfist View Post
    Volkswagon makes basses?
    Porsche designed Bongo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie.Man View Post
    Porsche designed Bongo.
    eh?
    "this place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a supervisor with a sub-machine gun"

Monkey Likey

User Info Menu

Porsche designed Bongo.
    Ummmmm.....no.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

Porsche designed Bongo.

Porsche is one of the owner of Volkswagen but none of them designed the Bongo. It was a BMW design (asfareasiknow)...

User Info Menu

I actually traded in a 5-er by the same company (which was significantly more expensive) to get the Bongo...
    Cabernet Pearl Bongo 4 HH
    Chili Red Stingray 4 HH

User Info Menu

Just a thought: Germany is literally stuffed with boutique bass builders and a couple of companies shelling out nice to excellent instruments on an industrial level. They are not even that expensive - as a matter of fact you can order (and get) a custom-everything bass hand built in Germany by a master luthier for about the same price as a stock Bongo or Big Al ...

And yet there are crowds of Krauts (pun totally intended) hanging out here. I guess this tells something. Really.

SBMM Silhouette HSS
    Yes, but why is the rum gone?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stereo_Monkey View Post

Porsche is one of the owner of Volkswagen but none of them designed the Bongo. It was a BMW design (asfareasiknow)...
    The initial design was a joint venture between BP and the BMW Design Group, which has a mandate to design non-automotive stuff every now and then to keep them fresh.

User Info Menu

I'm confused. Someone makes a sports car named Steamer? Are they based in Cleveland?
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

*lol*
    BASSS 4
    Classic Sabre