New banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to buy: 76 fre77, 2005

User Info Menu

what to buy: 76 fre77, 2005

Hi,
    Got some great advice from you guys the other day regarding new and old MM, but Iím still unsure what to buy, I live in the UK.

In a shop: 77 natural stingray $2700, On EBay: 2005 butterscotch HH $2300 both in the USA, which means I canít play them first and I have all the taxes etc to pay on top, although at the mo not sure what the extra cost would be.

76 natural fretless in UK $2700 wasnít really looking for a fretless, although I would love to own it..
    What do you guys think, are they good players and prices, I know there not bargains.
    Any advice welcome, would love to buy them all. Unsure and head done in (although I am happy to be in this predicament )

User Info Menu

Hi,

If I were you, I'd buy the 2005 HH, it gives you 2 humbuckers, 3 band EQ, perfect to find your sound, if you only play the bridge PU, you can still sell it and buy a H, and if you only like the neck PU, you can....buy sth else (and you can keep the 2005 HH if you like it )

For the fretless, try buying a cheap fretless to see if it's for you, because selling a fretless stingray if you don't like it...is more dfficult I think.

The '77 Pre Eb, I think you'd be better of buying a classic. It's risky to buy A pre-Eb and not test it first.

but , ofcourse, that's just me
    Last edited by Bart B; 04-13-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    2007 Stingray HS
    1978 Stingray

User Info Menu

Hi, thanks, buying without playing is a major problem for me, but that 2005 HH is gonna play and sound the dogs ...... and looks fantastic.
    On the other hand, I have never played an old MM and have wanted one for years, like loads of other basses.

Looks like i will have to buy without playing

User Info Menu

Butterscotch? or Buttercream? The price for that sure seems high. Here is a link for a Black 4HH it is mine....it will be about 1/2 the price delivered to you and btw I can work with you to reduce your VAT.

Black Music Man Stingray 4HH Rosewood Musicman - eBay (item 140398699568 end time Apr-18-10 13:04:38 PDT)
    1977 Sunburst SR4H with customized 24 fret ebony fretboard, 1982 Natural SR4H X2, 1983 Sunburst SR4H, 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH RW Neck, 2005 LE Buttercream SR4HH, 2007 DD SR4HH, 2007 DD Bongo 4HH, 2009 25th Venetian Red SR4HH BFR RW neck, a couple of regular Sterlings, a few other Stingrays, and a few competitors basses

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhunter420 View Post
    Butterscotch? or Buttercream? The price for that sure seems high. Here is a link for a Black 4HH it is mine....it will be about 1/2 the price delivered to you and btw I can work with you to reduce your VAT.
    Black Music Man Stingray 4HH Rosewood Musicman - eBay (item 140398699568 end time Apr-18-10 13:04:38 PDT)
    You should be careful with that If it gets damaged, only the amount on the bill will be refunded?

Correct me if I'm wrong
    2007 Stingray HS
    1978 Stingray

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
    You should be careful with that If it gets damaged, only the amount on the bill will be refunded?

Correct me if I'm wrong
    If a basic amount of trust can be established between both parties even that can be dealt with. I'm not a mod but I would suggest the rest be handled by email. A lot of eyes are reading this mabe even the IRS.
    Bongo 4H, Black Sugar, Roasted Neck, Ebony
    Reflex
    4HSS, Black Sugar, Roasted Neck, Fretless Ebony

25th Ann. 4HSS, Ven. Red, Rosewood

User Info Menu

Buy a new classic. You'll save money and it'll be good right out of the box...no surprizes.
    '77 Inca Silver 'Ray

User Info Menu

excellent, more to think about....mmmmmm bass. i'll reseach more.

User Info Menu

yeah its a Buttercream, like the idea of buying a LTD, vintage etc. Notice you have a Buttercream HH LTD - so you know what its worth to you if you were selling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    yeah its a Buttercream, like the idea of buying a LTD, vintage etc. Notice you have a Buttercream HH LTD - so you know what its worth to you if you were selling.
    While ltd editions are nice enough, they are generally not worth that much more than the normal versions (with some exceptions, but then it's mostly that the buyer has some serious gas for something very hard to find), so the 2005 bass in your original post is priced way above what might be considered normal for that particular bass.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

This would be relevant if he was looking for a black bass. As it is, it's just you whoring out your ebay ad on the forum.
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

User Info Menu

if i had 2300$ and the 77 was that much more, id buy the **** out of it. having a 77 is amazing. aged wood and having a piece of history makes it seem pretty awesome to me. the new stuff is great though, if someone tells you that the new stuff is any less quality than the stuff made in the late 70s they are lying. my reasoning though for buying a 77 would be purely for the sake of owning a piece of history and having the awesome sound aged wood provides, but then again buying something that old over the internet is ridiculously risky, ive heard of people getting vintage instruments that smell like ass.

User Info Menu

Have you considered an early EB Stingray? Late 80s, early 90s - you can find them for a lot less than a pre-EB (or a new one).

A bit aged, yet with the EB build quality. I have a couple with the four-bolt neck and also an early six-bolt. They're all lovely basses. The two four-bolts I bought without trying them first.

86 Sabre Nat
    87 TR
    87 Sun
    87 SR5 proto Peach
    88 Peach
    88 Sabre Peach
    88 Sabre Sun
    89 Blub
    89 SR5 Peach
    89 Sun
    89 SR5 TR
    90 Blub
    90 V Sun
    90 TR
    90 SR5 TR
    92 Sun
    92 V Sun
    94 Sterl Sun
    98 Sher G MHS
    00 SR5 Mtl Flake G MHS
    02 Gun Silv MHS
    03 SR5 Wh
    07 TR
    09 25th 5 HSS
    09 Class Surf G
    09 Class Fiesta Red MHS
    10 Class SR5 Blk x2
    16 Big Al 5 SSS Vint Tob PDN MHS
    17 Old Sm Choc B x2
    17 30th SR5 RW
    17 30th SR5 M
    18 SR5S Vint Tob
    18 SR5S Aqua Sp

User Info Menu

I'd never invest in a Pre-EB without physically inspecting it.

Not necessary with Ernie Ball Rays.

The early EB's are spectacular!

Check out the new Classic Rays.

User Info Menu

Friends own an 85 & 90's and they're really nice. Iíve never played a 70ís or modern MM and itís about time I did.

Found some really nice all rosewood Ė love playing all rosewood necks - Olive gold babies out there, which has thrown another spanner in the works.