The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change the neck?

User Info Menu

Change the neck?

I have 2 Stingrays, both 4 string... One is black with a rosewood fretboard and the other is white with a maple fretboard.. I tend to play the black one more because I prefer the rosewood fretboard.. so if I decided to trade my maple fretboard for a rosewood one for my white bass, would it screw up the value of the bass in any way.. like are the neck and body serial numbers matched or anything?

User Info Menu

Not that I know of. I switched a fretted and fretless neck on my Stingray 5's without any problems (I didn't do it myself, I had someone do it). I rarely play fretless, so I put it on the heavier body.

SR5 H, SR4 H (x2)

User Info Menu

Keep hold of the maple neck as a back up. can always put it back on

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

It shouldn´t be a problem.
    Others have done it before.
    Stingray HH 5 natural maple DOB 05-02-06
    Mark Bass LM II

User Info Menu

Do you want to sell it?

User Info Menu

Thanks guys..

57fenderjazz.. I don't really wanna sell it but would consider an outright trade for a rosewood stingray neck.. my maple is in excellent condition.. its an '07 4 string.

User Info Menu

I had to ask, I miss my maple fb ray. Nothing to trade at the moment.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't think twice about it if it gives you what you really want.

'92 SR4-H Trans-White/Rosewood/Birdseye 3EQ
    '94 SR4-H Black/Rosewood 3EQ
    '05 SR4-H Tobacco/Rosewood 3EQ
    '09 SR4-H Black/Ebony Strings-Thru 2EQ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    GK Fusion 550
    GK 212-II Neos (2)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chrls_vns View Post
    I have 2 Stingrays, both 4 string... One is black with a rosewood fretboard and the other is white with a maple fretboard.. I tend to play the black one more because I prefer the rosewood fretboard.. so if I decided to trade my maple fretboard for a rosewood one for my white bass, would it screw up the value of the bass in any way.. like are the neck and body serial numbers matched or anything?
    Dumb question..... Are these basses from the same year? It so easy to switch necks.... I guess modern basses one day will become vintage and it could make a difference in the valuation then, but for more current basses, why would it make any difference to swap the necks, especially if they are from the same year? Besides, as was said earlier, if you keep both basses, you can always swap the necks back if you go to sell one of your basses.
    1977 Sunburst SR4H with customized 24 fret ebony fretboard, 1982 Natural SR4H X2, 1983 Sunburst SR4H, 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH RW Neck, 2005 LE Buttercream SR4HH, 2007 DD SR4HH, 2007 DD Bongo 4HH, 2009 25th Venetian Red SR4HH BFR RW neck, a couple of regular Sterlings, a few other Stingrays, and a few competitors basses

User Info Menu

They're not from the same year.. But regardless, simply swapping the necks would still leave me with a bass that I hardly ever play.. I want a rosewood neck on both basses.

User Info Menu

I tend to play my maple board more...don't know why the rosewood on white will look good
    1988 EBMM Stingray 4 - 2EQ Trans Teal
    1989 EBMM Stingray 4 - 3EQ Sunburst
    1989 EBMM Stingray 4 Unlined Epoxied Fretless - 2EQ Black

User Info Menu

It could affect resale. The serial number and the neck won't match, and you essentially have a parts guitar--even if the parts are all top notch 100% genuine EB/MM parts.

And, if you got rid of the original neck, and needed a new one from EB/MM, you'd be screwed.

The serial number is for a certain body with a certain neck. If you traded your rosewood neck for a maple neck, and then the maple neck had something happen--you'd be out of luck. For the serial number of your bass, you need to have a rosewood neck. If you need a new neck, you need to return a busted rosewood neck to EB--not a maple neck.

Even if your warranty is already expired, you still can't get a replacement part without the original to turn in.

So, I'd see about trading the bass for one with the right fretboard that you want instead of just "trading necks." Otherwise, you are opening yourself up to potential trouble down the road. Post in the For Sale thread sticky--I bet you'll get a bite quickly.
    Last edited by bassmonkeee; 05-17-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

User Info Menu

To me it's like buying an expensive sport car and never driving it. I'm not too fond of the wheels so I'm putting something else on. Sure it may not be totally correct if I wanted to sell it and it may hurt a little but right now I'm having fun with the car and it makes me happy and the right buyer will come along someday when I'm ready to sell the car and give me a very fair deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chilix View Post
    To me it's like buying an expensive sport car and never driving it. I'm not too fond of the wheels so I'm putting something else on. Sure it may not be totally correct if I wanted to sell it and it may hurt a little but right now I'm having fun with the car and it makes me happy and the right buyer will come along someday when I'm ready to sell the car and give me a very fair deal.
    That's all well and good until your bass takes a stage dive due to a drunk and cracks the headstock. No replacements. Why not simply swap out basses with someone looking for maple?
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post
    That's all well and good until your bass takes a stage dive due to a drunk and cracks the headstock. No replacements. Why not simply swap out basses with someone looking for maple?
    Rock N' Roll...it would be a chance I'm willing to take. EBMM will not replace any of my necks perfectly. My truss rod adjustment is on the headstock. 20+ year old bass guitars. If it worked out and I could get a replacement, I would be getting a new style neck and would need to cut out my body for the truss wheel to fit. I take the same risk every time I drive my old classic sport car. It will be hard to find one of the same year in the same color and at 24 years old, keeping it original is kind of tough. I just don't fear the worst and enjoy it while I have it.