Majesty New Colors 2021
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little Confused

User Info Menu

A Little Confused

Today at college i played my SUB5 through a 65watt torque keyboard amp and it sounded pretty amazing with very little fret buzz, then as i got home i played through my Ampeg B-2R, Ampeg SVT410HE rig and what did i hear none other than a little fret buzz more than what was coming out from the 65 watt keyboard combo amp.

Does anyone know why this happened or are you just as confused as i am?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melv
    Today at college i played my SUB5 through a 65watt torque keyboard amp and it sounded pretty amazing with very little fret buzz, then as i got home i played through my Ampeg B-2R, Ampeg SVT410HE rig and what did i hear none other than a little fret buzz more than what was coming out from the 65 watt keyboard combo amp.

Does anyone know why this happened or are you just as confused as i am?
    Were you playing louder at college?

User Info Menu

nope just the normal practice volume i play, i'd say cranking bout 25-40watts

User Info Menu

Have you got a "Presence" control on the Ampeg and was it wound up?

I used to find the Presence control on my Sansamp BDDI used to accentuate any fret buzz a lot, so I turned it down.

User Info Menu

nope no presence control. I did think it was the horn until i turned it off and made no difference. The only controls on the keyboard combo amp was gain, bass, mid, treble and master and ofcourse the B-2R has an eq that i fully use eventhough with the eq turned off I still get the fret buzz

User Info Menu

I think I would try lowering the pickup just a bit.

tk

User Info Menu

Would that get rid of fret buzz, if so how do i lower the pickup?

User Info Menu

Question Fret Buzz?

just kurious ... never played a SUB ... I always thought fret buzz was a mechanical thing; not electronic ... the only unwanted noises I get from any of my instruments relate to outside sources of electronic interference and/or bad cables ... ie it helps to keep away from old TV sets; and my unshielded G&Ls can pickup some noises from my amps I they get too close with everything fullon /Rayan
    ~ When'ya can't C, just B sharp ~/R

User Info Menu

I figured he was getting fret buzz through the amp as he described it changing with the amp change.

Here is the EB faq that should help with the fret buzz situtation.

tk

The pickup should be 4/32" to 5/32" on the bass side and slightly closer (4/32" to 5/32" on the treble side. This is determined by tuning and volume of strings measured by the top of the pole piece to the bottom of the strings. If the G string needs more volume, adjust it slightly more toward the pickup. Again, if you tune down, more distance is needed here, as well; but in any case, no lower than 4/32".

If fret buzz occurs from the open to the fifth fret, the neck needs more relief. If it buzzes between the 5th fret and the 12th fret, the neck needs to be straighter (turn the wheel slightly clockwise). If it occurs all over the neck, the string height need to increase (by turning the trussrod wheel slightly counter-clockwise).

For intonation: Check the harmonics to the fretted note on the 12th note on the twelfth fret if you don't play much above that fret. If you do, also check the harmonics at the 19th fret after the 12th fret is set. If the fretted note is sharp, you need to make the string longer by turning the saddle screw counterclockwise, and vice versa. Make sure that the string are coming off of the saddle straight and not in an arch. All measurements must be rechecked after each adjustment.

User Info Menu

does your 4x10 have a horn? if so, then, maybe you could turn the horn down.

User Info Menu

I did think it was the horn until i turned it off and made no difference.

Its almost like the ampeg rig is more sensative to fret buzz coming through the pickups which is very strange to me

User Info Menu

check and see if the b2r has a "brite" switch or button. my svt 3 pro has one so the b2r might have one as well.

User Info Menu

Cool Nice Avatar

Today at college i played my SUB5 through a 65watt (...) with very little fret buzz, (...) through my Ampeg B-2R, Ampeg SVT410HE rig (...) i hear none other than a little fret buzz (...) Does anyone know why this happened or are you just as confused as i am?
    Having done purgatory in the auto service biz, I'm sure happy I don't work in a music store ...
    no offence meant here, but some of the biggest timewasters (time=$) in the carbiz were "squeaks, leaks, and rattles", and most of the time it boiled down to a loose nut ...
    process of elimination, clear direct questions and clear direct answers were seen to be "instrumental" to accurate diagnosis and correction ... [technicians don't work for free (except on the mother-in-law's car)]
    happy fret buzz hunting / Rayan
    Last edited by Rayan; 10-05-2004 at 06:51 PM. Reason: past sins
    ~ When'ya can't C, just B sharp ~/R

User Info Menu

Are the strings wound correctly on the tuners? i.e. several turns starting at the top and leaving the tuner at the bottom. Sometimes it can be the string between the nut and the tuner that vibrates.

User Info Menu

Hm inetrestign thread. I played an outdoor gig a couple of months ago where an ampeg rig was used, all be'it a 8x10. The amp was brand new, don't know what model. I had a quick go on it during soundcheck just for fun as we were early. Personally I beleive the SUB treble control is the culprit. Unles im playing slap I rarely have mine set above 20% otherwise I get a lot of fret noise (not buzz). I use Labella slappers and change em regulary hence lots of treble, as i brake them a lot, the ampeg, sounded ****e, no growl just boring bass tones, but guees what, there was loads of fret noise even with the treble turned right down. I switched back to my SWR and it went away. I probably could have sorted it by tweeking the amp which was set totally flat but I don't think ampegs are that well suited to SUB's. I listed to the rest of the bands who all have crappy passive basses and they sounded fine.

Maybe not the cause but I had to get it off my chest!
    SWR Head, Hartke cab, SUB bass, who needs women?!