Majesty New Colors 2021

Thread: Neck Question

User Info Menu

Neck Question

I have a Stingray 5 with a maple neck, I have been told that to clean the neck or change strings that you are never supposed to take all of the strings off at one time and to just take one string off at a time or else it will need major neck adjustments afterwards. Is this true? I was thinking of taking off all of the strings to clean my neck and was told that this is a NO NO!

User Info Menu

i do it on my bass all the time without a problem at all. the neck might move a little with the strings off, but when you put them back on it should be the same way you left it, assuming you put the same type of strings on.

User Info Menu

Somebody lied to you. If you were to leave the bass with no strings and didn't loosen the truss rod it would tend to back bow, but to change strings and clean etc....no problem

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jongitarz
    Somebody lied to you. If you were to leave the bass with no strings and didn't loosen the truss rod it would tend to back bow, but to change strings and clean etc....no problem
    Thanks Jon. I had alway heard not to take them all of even for a few minutes too. Good advice from a man who would know.....

User Info Menu

Taking all the strings off at once is a different animal on a set-neck or neck-through design. But bolt on necks? Nah, yank 'em off. I do it all the time to clean the board or change the strings.

I mean, the neck wasn't always attached to the body, right?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help, I have another Bass where the neck is out of adjustment and was told that was the reason why. I just didn't want to make the same mistake.