Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Required Reading: Forum Decorum

Required Reading: Forum Decorum

Iím going to paraphrase and outright steal from some of the things Sterling said to the moderators, but I also will add a bit of my own outlook, having been around since pterodactyls darkened the Texas skies.

We have to tighten up control on the forum. Secondary responsibility for that falls on us, the mods and admins, but it will of course primarily be the membersí responsibility to control things. In other words, donít make a mess and we wonít have to clean it up!

Sterling: ďFamiliarity and comfort can lead to forgetting that this is a corporate forum. Your comments ultimately reflect on our company and not the offending poster.Ē

There is nothing inherently wrong with familiarity and comfort, of course. Many of us have met or know each other in real life and so on. As an example, I am friends with Sterling and his family and many of the EBMM employees, but this doesnít give me carte blanche to answer questions that are better answered by, say, Dudley or Dargin or Sterling. If after all these years, I still think carefully about how to approach a given subject, I donít think itís too much to ask you guys to do the same.

Sterling: ďThe forum started with no rules. Period. Every rule and change has been made necessary by people who get crazy. We are just going to delete posts that donít work.Ē And please, donít PM me or anyone else about your First Amendment rights. If you donít know by now that I hate deleting things, you know it now. But delete it I will, and the only person I have to defend it to is BP.

Some things should be obvious but are not, so Iíll be as clear as possible.

1. Sterling: ďAny threads that contain negative criticism of other players will immediately be deleted.ď I canít imagine there would be any question about this. No one expects you to absolutely love every new band you hear, but ďWow, these guys suckĒ is simply unnecessary. If you donít like it, donít comment. Negative response is not an option. And this isnít just about EBMM artists. Everyone in the music business is working hard to do the best they can. Letís respect our fellow musicians even if what they do isnít our cup of tea.

2. Sterling: ďPosts containing politics, race, creed, sexual orientation, and country of origin will also be deleted.Ē He reserves the right to make English dental jokes.

3. Sterling: ďSexual innuendos are out.Ē Every time a female member joins up or Kevin or Derek post a pic of a female endorsee, I can tell you that a few of us hold our breath, waiting for the junior high sexual commentary. Weíre seldom disappointed. Yes, the female endorsees do check the forum and yes, they are offended. Treat them like you want your daughters/sisters to be treated and letís put an end to it without moderation. PLEASE.

If the mods get three PMs about a particular member being ďrude, abrupt, combative, or terminally negativeĒ, we will contact the offending party and let them know that they are not making a positive contribution here. The offender will be on double secret probation. Any further trouble and the account will be terminated. And yes, we DO get PMs about certain obvious troublemakers, although as a bassist Iím relieved to say itís mostly on the guitar side. But not always.

My take is that all of this should be common sense and usually is. The vast majority of you guys are positive, contributing members and I donít want you to feel as if everyone is being painted with the same broad stroke. Not the case at all. A few Ė a very few Ė bad apples really can spoil the whole barrel. I have lived through and dealt with a case or two of this on the forum and itís just no fun for anyone involved, especially the good guys.

So just tighten it up a bit if you need to, please. I thank you on behalf of Sterling and all the moderators. And as the boss said, ďIt sounds like a bummer but I think that the vast majority will appreciate the more positive friendly environment.Ē

Just a quick note to say I have read the thread (the first one I believe) and to say that I enjoy the forum and will try to scale back my dry "north of your border" humour (yes that is how that word is spelled) - oops did it again. Well I did say try!
    Last edited by 2ndBassGuitar; 07-12-2010 at 09:06 AM.
    1977 Sunburst SR4H with customized 24 fret ebony fretboard, 1982 Natural SR4H X2, 1983 Sunburst SR4H, 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH RW Neck, 2005 LE Buttercream SR4HH, 2007 DD SR4HH, 2007 DD Bongo 4HH, 2009 25th Venetian Red SR4HH BFR RW neck, a couple of regular Sterlings, a few other Stingrays, and a few competitors basses

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    2. Sterling: “Posts containing politics, race, creed, sexual orientation, and country of origin will also be deleted.”
    Does that mean Gearhunters post above will be deleted because he mentioned he's Candadian? Joke aside, I'd like to better understand the "country of origin" rule. Please explain.
    Have bass. Will play.
    Looking for Sessions in Switzerland. Area: ZŁri/Winti/Rappi

Music Man Collection Essentials
    MarkBass F1, SansAmp RBI, MarkBass Standard 104HR; MoMark (T1M/42S/MVV)@500, NY604; Minimark
    Holding down the bottom end for Redsteam

Quote Originally Posted by oli@bass View Post
    Does that mean Gearhunters post above will be deleted because he mentioned he's Candadian? Joke aside, I'd like to better understand the "country of origin" rule. Please explain.
    Oli - I think I am now being politically correct. - Jim
    1977 Sunburst SR4H with customized 24 fret ebony fretboard, 1982 Natural SR4H X2, 1983 Sunburst SR4H, 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH RW Neck, 2005 LE Buttercream SR4HH, 2007 DD SR4HH, 2007 DD Bongo 4HH, 2009 25th Venetian Red SR4HH BFR RW neck, a couple of regular Sterlings, a few other Stingrays, and a few competitors basses

Quote Originally Posted by oli@bass View Post
    Attempts at humor regarding country of origin. Americans love to make fun of the French, the English like to make fun of everyone, the Peruvians hassle the Ecuadorians, the Argentines hate everyone - you know.

Blog Entries
    Basically Oli it comes down to people getting personal....Making broad negative statements because of the country they are from. For example there have been a few threads where someone from France got bashed and then his homeland followed.

Jack is trying to be nice and I have a choice....either I ignore most threads, leave or try to get this place back a little.

HEre is my take. Most issues arrive when someone states their opinion. We are good up to now. Then someone states a dissenting opinion. As long as there are no personal attacks we are still great....Where the problem ALWAYS starts is that one or both decide that it is not possible to believe what you believe and then they start trying to win/defend their argument and then it ALWAYS gets personal. One person who stirs it up always is rude and then says that the people who he offended dont have a sense of humor. When you decide that you are going to beat your point into the ground all but the first opinion will be deleted. I call this the agro last word syndrome.

The Female thing has caused the company a lot of headaches.......The memberts here drive away all females....Notice that none of the female employees post here? Notice why female artists always leave? The comment about not saying anything regarding their gender or a clever innuendo regarding their anatomy is the great first rule....the second is that dont say anything that you wouldnt like your sister to hear.

I will not and neiother will the mods debate this. Most of the time you wont notice a difference.....

To summarize

Dont try to win every argument...make your point and agree to disagree.

Stop being rude to minorities, women, etc.

Dont bash musicians here. I dont personally like a lot of stuff but I was raised to respect fellow musicians. That is only right here too.
    Last edited by Big Poppa; 07-12-2010 at 09:32 AM.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

Thank you very much for the clarification, Sir.
    Have bass. Will play.
    Looking for Sessions in Switzerland. Area: ZŁri/Winti/Rappi

Music Man Collection Essentials
    MarkBass F1, SansAmp RBI, MarkBass Standard 104HR; MoMark (T1M/42S/MVV)@500, NY604; Minimark
    Holding down the bottom end for Redsteam

Blog Entries
    Guys were arent getting all serious...quite the opposite...This isnt a debate team forum its a platform to share you ideas, enthusiasm and all things Music Man....
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Notice that none of the female employees post here? Notice why female artists always leave?
    Yes, I definitely had noticed this, as well as the decline in posts from female members in general. I think it stinks, and the reasons are obvious and embarrassing. And like you guys have said, it's not that offensive comments are prevalent, necessarily, but how many does it take to be offensive and to discourage more active participation? Not many, I would think.

All the points being discussed are important, but this is one I've been particularly mindful of, due to the rarity of posts from the women - it didn't used to be that way. I hope we can eliminate the occasional flare up of "locker room mentality" that's responsible for this. It gets old hearing from just the guys all the time.

Regarding my own contributions, I have a tendency to get negative in one particular type of case ... it's usually when someone new is being rude, or some times when I just THINK they are. But it just adds to the overall negativity, and as BP said, reflects more on the forum itself than on the OP, so I hereby recommit to keeping my mouth shut in those cases. It's slightly neurotic for me - a non stakeholder in the matter - to be that concerned about it anyway, and I'm personally better off to just chill.

1. Sterling: ďAny threads that contain negative criticism of other players will immediately be deleted.ď I canít imagine there would be any question about this. No one expects you to absolutely love every new band you hear, but ďWow, these guys suckĒ is simply unnecessary. If you donít like it, donít comment. Negative response is not an option. And this isnít just about EBMM artists. Everyone in the music business is working hard to do the best they can. Letís respect our fellow musicians even if what they do isnít our cup of tea.
    I am totally with you - comments like these are simply unnecessary.

Though it leaves me wondering what is wrong about saying "I like player X better than player Y"? I remember that such a reply from the "Ozzy Content" thread was deleated some days ago. Just asking: Isn't that maybe a bit too much?

StingRay4 H 20th Anniversary ltd. 1996
    StingRay4 H 20th Anniversary fretless ltd. 1996
    StingRay4 H REDHOT ltd. 1997 (one of only fifty worldwide)
    StingRay4 H EBONY ltd. 2008 (one of only fifty worldwide)
    StingRay4 HH DargieDelight2 ltd. 2009
    StingRay5 H DargieDelight2 ltd. 2009

... 'cause the next in your face - is a kick from the bass - RHCP

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPunky View Post
    I am totally with you - comments like these are simply unnecessary.

Though it leaves me wondering what is wrong about saying "I like player X better than player Y"? I remember that such a reply from the "Ozzy Content" thread was deleated some days ago. Just asking: Isn't that maybe a bit too much?
    No. You're misremembering the comment.

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
    Jack, when I grow up I want to be able to express myself as well as you do.

And I make my living as a writer.

PS: May I make sexual innuendos about myself?

PPS: Isn't "innuendo" one in the first place?
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

Jack, one day we'll have to exchange South America stories.
    Staring contest. You. Me. Now.......

You win. You always do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStiffness View Post
    Jack, one day we'll have to exchange South America stories.
    Next Forum Bash, and I'll buy the first round of Pisco.

Next Forum Bash, and I'll buy the first round of Pisco.
    Sounds like a plan. As long as there is no chicha involved, I'm up for it.
    Staring contest. You. Me. Now.......

You win. You always do.