Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batteries and my Stingray

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all 9 volt batteries are the same size either. A few years back,I was running into a problem on one of my other active basses where the sound would occasionally drop out...it turned out that it was the battery I had just put in was a shorter battery then the one the had been in there before and it wasn't shorter by much.

The little spring contacts in the bottom of the battery box weren't making full contact with the new battery's contacts as they had done in the previous battery (I swapped them to make sure the old one still worked and it did).

MusicMan uses the same setup as the other bass, that is, the flip out battery box...if those contacts get pushed down by a longer battery and then you put a shorter 9 volt in there, it could conceivably cause an intermittent contact situation.

There is something to be said for the push on snap on battery terminals as much as a pain as they can be sometimes...there is at least surety that the contact is there when it is applied.

I ended up by removing the battery box in my other bass and retensioning the little brass/bronze spring terminals and it worked fine after that...

Just something to be aware of....
    2010 SR4 Black-n-Maple
    Myriads of Fenders-Carvins-Spectors
    Late 50's Kay URB

I enjoy a good bass line, but its the windchime solos that always win me over.

had the same prob as dedmouse........did the same thing too.......and i now use any cheap battery from London Drugs.......the Duracells were always giving me problems,since i fixed the battery box and started buying 'el cheapos........no probs now.
    2001 STERLING H/ black/black ice pg/rosewood board
    2003 SUB active white/black pg/rosewood board

SterlingStudios

Duracells don't fit in my Stingray battery compartment, so I use Energizers; they work fine with 2 changes per year.
    EBMM Stingray 4
    GK700RBII

A 9v battery is a 9v battery.

Regardless of the brand name the outside dimensions are the same.

The battery box is designed so that the battery will only fit one way, (the correct way) so if you have to force the battery in then the odds are its the wrong way around.

I had to replace the battery compartment on one of my Stingrays a while ago because through general ware and tear one of the wires had broken off one of the terminals (through opening an closing it).

Soldering the wire back on to the terminal proved to be tricky as i wasn't able to remove the terminal from its plastic casing resulting in heat being applied to plastic, plastic warping, contacts not meeting.

As i found out the battery compartment its self is just as universal fitting as the battery's are them self.
    Gotoh Battery Box for Electric Guitar Single - eBay (item 130429825472 end time Nov-07-10 19:55:32 PST)
    Gotoh Battery Box for Electric Guitar Double - eBay (item 150512678150 end time Nov-27-10 11:03:52 PST)

Stingray. 4H, Buttercreme 2005 L.E. ("Leighton") (05/05/05.)
    Stingray. 4H, Vintage Sunburst, ("SunBlue") (31/05/05)
    GENZ-BENZ. Amp's... M'Line 200 1x15 Combo... Shuttle 6.2, 410 & 115 cabs...
    ORANGE Terror 1000H.

Newly recorded material using "SunBlue"
    https://soundcloud.com/official_elec...bum-by-electus

Not all the same size

I don't think they are the same size.

"A 9v battery is a 9v battery.

Regardless of the brand name the outside dimensions are the same."

Simply not true...see:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx1X4iuxIkw]YouTube - Are all 9-Volt Batteries the Same Size?[/ame]
    2010 SR4 Black-n-Maple
    Myriads of Fenders-Carvins-Spectors
    Late 50's Kay URB

I enjoy a good bass line, but its the windchime solos that always win me over.

Quote Originally Posted by russinator View Post

not at all.........they vary quite a bit i've found too.........
    2001 STERLING H/ black/black ice pg/rosewood board
    2003 SUB active white/black pg/rosewood board

SterlingStudios

I posted these dimensions a while back as a Duracell is an extremely tight fit in my 83' Ray; they both last a really long time which is great!

Just measured 2 Duracells and 2 Energizers; tolerances were within a few thousandths for each brand

Energizer = .998" wide x 1.78" long x .640" deep
    Duracell = 1.017 x 1.740 x .653 deep

While they may be shorter the Duracells proved to be wider and deeper by a significant percentage.

As I recall, Procells also measure like Energizers

Wink

Simply wrap some tape around it if it's too small....