Mariposa Green
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Itunes Beatles

User Info Menu

Itunes Beatles

As most of you know the Beatles estate and Apple Computer ended their years of legal hassles and offered the entire catalog on itunes.

I bought it. I have it in most forms. But you really need to understand how
    important the Beatles were to me as a musician and as a businessman in the music business.

In the package you get some video.....I watched the first concert on US soil that was two days after the Sullivan show in DC amazing.

The industry loves to create the next John Lennon...there will only be one Beatles

The amazing thing is that they went through their transformations and musical growth in just seven years. Most punk bands make two cd's in five years. The Beatles did it in 7 wow
    Last edited by Big Poppa; 11-17-2010 at 07:48 AM.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Totally off topic but the lounge is for many things.

As most of you know the Beatles estate and Apple Computer ended their years of legal hassles and offered the entire catalog on itunes.

I bought it. I have it in most forms. But you really need to understand how
    important the Beatles were to me as a musician and as a businessman in the music business.

In the package you get some video.....I watched the first concert on US soil that was two days after the Sullivan show in DC amazing.

The industry loves to create the next John Lennon...there will only be one Beatles

The amazing thing is that they went through their transformations and musical growth in just seven years. Most punk bands make two cd's in five years. The Beatles did it in 7 wow

No I will tie it top smoking...I will make a pledge to have at least 7 smokers going this weekend with the Beatles blaring the whole time....It will be a smokin Beatles weekend.
    How could anyone Play any Style of music and Not Love the Beatles, Paul had the best Bass Lines ever. Still I'm so Glad he never learned to Slap.
    WE ALL LOVE THE BEATLES.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    ....It will be a smokin Beatles weekend.
    If I had a nickel for every time I've said that.......

tbone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman Nut View Post
    How could anyone Play any Style of music and Not Love the Beatles, Paul had the best Bass Lines ever. Still I'm so Glad he never learned to Slap.
    WE ALL LOVE THE BEATLES.
    Hmm.. I'd be one of those who don't like em!
    To be honest I'd never listened to any of their stuff, last year a friend lent me the entire collection.

While I can appreciate what they did, I couldn't give any of it more than one listen.. I tried, just couldn't do it, the vocals drove me nuts.. I GET that they were ground breaking, but now..

The Stones on the other hand..
    Or maybe its an age thing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mow View Post
    Hmm.. I'd be one of those who don't like em!
    To be honest I'd never listened to any of their stuff, last year a friend lent me the entire collection.

While I can appreciate what they did, I couldn't give any of it more than one listen.. I tried, just couldn't do it, the vocals drove me nuts.. I GET that they were ground breaking, but now..

The Stones on the other hand..
    Or maybe its an age thing
    Your Probably just young, Paul's Bass Lines still to this day People try to copy and use in their music, I'm older School where Grove is way more important to me then how many notes per second I can Play. Anyway no Biggie as long as your Playing a Music Man Life must be good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman Nut View Post
    Your Probably just young, Paul's Bass Lines still to this day People try to copy and use in their music, I'm older School where Grove is way more important to me then how many notes per second I can Play. Anyway no Biggie as long as your Playing a Music Man Life must be good.
    Ah.. but my idols are Motown, Stax and old R&B stuff!

Its ALL groove baby!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mow View Post
    Ah.. but my idols are Motown, Stax and old R&B stuff!

Its ALL groove baby!
    Yeah Motown and R&B are both wonderful, Jamerson you can't get much better then that, Awesome your listing to the right stuff.

User Info Menu

I started listening to my best friend's parents vinyl Beatles collection at the age of 9 and it has stuck with me to this day. My 9 year old son and I listen to " Breakfast with The Beatles" during our skateboarding session every Sunday morning. Hopefully it sticks with him too...
    2001 SR5 Black/Black/Maple
    2004 SR4 Honeyburst/ Black/Maple
    2006 SR4HH Natural/Black/Rosewood
    2009 Big Al 4SSS Vintage Sunburst/Rosewood
    2012 PDN Honey Roasted Bongo 4HHp
    2018 Stingray Special 4HH Aqua Sparkle/Ebony

Noise Chapter EP
    MORE MUSIC

User Info Menu

I personally only like Revolver and later. They really matured from that point.

====================================
    141-DD-76-01 Bongo
    111-L5-5M-01 SR

User Info Menu

I think that it must be difficult to really understand what happened if you weren't there when it happened. Hell, I'm not entirely sure those of us who were there understood the magnitude at the time. The Beatles redefined modern rock music, sure - but they did that to almost everything else, too.

It's funny now, looking back at those photos from the early days, the videos from the Sullivan show and remembering how my father could not BELIEVE how much hair they had! They look so clean-cut now. See how things change?

For so many of us, watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan (and hearing those outrageous changes in "I Want To Hold Your Hand", seems funny now, eh) made us pick up a guitar. Or a bass. I wasn't entirely sure what Paul McCartney was actually doing, but I knew I wanted to do something like that. Nearly every bassist my age says the same thing, I'm sure.

My ten year old brain nearly exploded the first time I tried to figure out "Can't Buy Me Love". Simple enough to look back now and think, 'Well, it's really just twelve bar blues in the verses' but I certainly didn't know what that meant then. Along the way, I learned about structure from playing Beatles songs. Elvis and a lot of those guys had been playing what I call "three chord rock" but I didn't really understand it until the Beatles did it. I didn't really CARE until the Beatles did it.

Listening to Paul's bass line on "Something" always makes me wonder if it annoyed George. It's so BUSY, you'd think George might have said, "You know, Paul, it's sort of a love song, isn't it?" And yet it's melodic - you could listen to just the bass and think, "Oh, that's good." There was so much of that going on. So much to learn and steal from. "Rain" and "Paperback Writer" and - well, it's a long list.

I'm glad it's all there on iTunes, finally. Of course, I already have everything ever released and some things that never were released officially, but I look forward to perusing what's there. You never know.

Oh, and I used to say (and it still might be true) that I knew everything I needed to know about you once you answered two questions.

1. "Who's your favorite Beatle?" (You had to have a favorite in the early days.)

2. "What's your favorite Beatles record?"

For those of you keeping score at home, my favorite record is usually "Revolver", but that changes from time to time.

Jack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    I think that it must be difficult to really understand what happened if you weren't there when it happened. Hell, I'm not entirely sure those of us who were there understood the magnitude at the time. The Beatles redefined modern rock music, sure - but they did that to almost everything else, too.

It's funny now, looking back at those photos from the early days, the videos from the Sullivan show and remembering how my father could not BELIEVE how much hair they had! They look so clean-cut now. See how things change?

For so many of us, watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan (and hearing those outrageous changes in "I Want To Hold Your Hand", seems funny now, eh) made us pick up a guitar. Or a bass. I wasn't entirely sure what Paul McCartney was actually doing, but I knew I wanted to do something like that. Nearly every bassist my age says the same thing, I'm sure.

My ten year old brain nearly exploded the first time I tried to figure out "Can't Buy Me Love". Simple enough to look back now and think, 'Well, it's really just twelve bar blues in the verses' but I certainly didn't know what that meant then. Along the way, I learned about structure from playing Beatles songs. Elvis and a lot of those guys had been playing what I call "three chord rock" but I didn't really understand it until the Beatles did it. I didn't really CARE until the Beatles did it.

Listening to Paul's bass line on "Something" always makes me wonder if it annoyed George. It's so BUSY, you'd think George might have said, "You know, Paul, it's sort of a love song, isn't it?" And yet it's melodic - you could listen to just the bass and think, "Oh, that's good." There was so much of that going on. So much to learn and steal from. "Rain" and "Paperback Writer" and - well, it's a long list.

I'm glad it's all there on iTunes, finally. Of course, I already have everything ever released and some things that never were released officially, but I look forward to perusing what's there. You never know.

Oh, and I used to say (and it still might be true) that I knew everything I needed to know about you once you answered two questions.

1. "Who's your favorite Beatle?" (You had to have a favorite in the early days.)

2. "What's your favorite Beatles record?"

For those of you keeping score at home, my favorite record is usually "Revolver", but that changes from time to time.

Jack
    I Love The Naked Let It Be LP, much different then the regular Let It Be. But there's so many Just Great Records they did. Too hard to pick just one.
    McCartney Would be it for me.

User Info Menu

I agree: The Beatles were flat out the all time best song writers!!!

Look at all the "good" songs they did (was there even a single bad one?)!!! And, they did it it such an incredibly short time - it is absolutely mind boggling.

No band even comes close, no matter if they are together for 5 decades. Just incredible!

User Info Menu

Now that I know BP is a fan of the Beatles, I am curious on his thoughts of Yoko?

User Info Menu

Most amazing band ever, in 100 years we will still be looking back saying the same. I wish I had been there when it all started.

User Info Menu

Strangely, myself and my girlfriend were both talking about the Beatles and I had a few cds on the other day. She then mentioned they were still not on iTunes, or any other official site like that.

Next day, this happens!

Smart move if you ask me. I can understand the concept that these recordings were 'built' for vinyl (and I WISH I had them on all vinyl) but modern times means modern decisions.

I don't listen to them that much, but I 100% think they have had a massive influence on me despite being in the wrong era!

We will never have a band as big as the Beatles ever again.
    2010 Stingray 5 HS White/Tort/Rw
    2011 Stingray 4 H 3 Band EQ Vintage Sunburst/Black/Mp w/flame/birdseye figuring
    2011 Big Al 5 SSS Vintage Sunburst/Tort/Rw
    2011 Sterling 5 HS Tobacco Burst/Black/Rw
    2011 Stingray 5 Classic Natural/Black/Birdseye Mp
    2012 Bongo 5 HH Tangerine Pearl/Black
    2013 Bongo 5 HS Sky Blue/Vintage White Pearl
    2013 Stingray 5 HH Honeyburst/White/Mp
    2014 Albert Lee HH Vintage Sunburst/Tort/ALL Rw!
    2016 Stingray HH Guitar Black/Black/Rw