The Vault
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rare Maple Fretless Pre-EB Stingray

User Info Menu

Rare Maple Fretless Pre-EB Stingray

Musicman Stingray Electric Bass Fretless Music Man - eBay (item 270669593615 end time Dec-05-10 07:56:55 PST)

Looks like it has a later non string through body bridge and the string tree is non original. You don't see the blank plank Maple necks very often. This is probably only the 4th on I've seen/known about.

User Info Menu

Rare dog indeed! Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

If he replaced the string post then there must be a hole in between the D and G strings that's one of the great indicator of Pre-EB basses, I can't see a hole in the picture..

Anyways, I think its a fair deal..
    Last edited by Infidelity; 11-25-2010 at 11:27 AM.

User Info Menu

There are oddities about this bass:

-string tree is in the wrong location.
    -I can't see any pickguard holes.
    -the strings appear to be in a top strung bridge, but the body has thru holes.

The price is 'too good to be true', but I'm smelling hodge podge refin here...but I wish he had better pictures.
    -Mike

2014 Big Al 5 SSS tangerine
    1978 StingRay white

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HornetAMX View Post
    Musicman Stingray Electric Bass Fretless Music Man - eBay (item 270669593615 end time Dec-05-10 07:56:55 PST)

Looks like it has a later non string through body bridge and the string tree is non original. You don't see the blank plank Maple necks very often. This is probably only the 4th on I've seen/known about.
    Here's a Cool 1977. I also Have an Rare Ernie Ball Maple Fretless.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman Nut View Post
    How much?
    1977 Sunburst SR4H with customized 24 fret ebony fretboard, 1982 Natural SR4H X2, 1983 Sunburst SR4H, 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH RW Neck, 2005 LE Buttercream SR4HH, 2007 DD SR4HH, 2007 DD Bongo 4HH, 2009 25th Venetian Red SR4HH BFR RW neck, a couple of regular Sterlings, a few other Stingrays, and a few competitors basses

User Info Menu

someone bought it already! I wish we will hear from the buyer shortly..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman Nut View Post
    Wow!
    Have bass. Will play.
    Looking for Sessions in Switzerland. Area: Züri/Winti/Rappi

Music Man Collection Essentials
    MarkBass F1, SansAmp RBI, MarkBass Standard 104HR; MoMark (T1M/42S/MVV)@500, NY604; Minimark
    Holding down the bottom end for Redsteam

User Info Menu

Oh a FRETLESS!!! Oh it's unlined!! Oh it's maple!! Oh it's a pre-EBMM!!

I would so love to have a go.

User Info Menu

That would look so nice with a fretted neck
    1977 Sunburst SR4H with customized 24 fret ebony fretboard, 1982 Natural SR4H X2, 1983 Sunburst SR4H, 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH RW Neck, 2005 LE Buttercream SR4HH, 2007 DD SR4HH, 2007 DD Bongo 4HH, 2009 25th Venetian Red SR4HH BFR RW neck, a couple of regular Sterlings, a few other Stingrays, and a few competitors basses

User Info Menu

Dave has the real gear...and very rare Basses too!

With the Ebay item the headstock is wrong (too long).

User Info Menu

I saw it within the first 10 minutes that it appeared and almost bought it. Something just looked "not right". I think the bad pictures may have been on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Caca de Kick View Post

The price is 'too good to be true', but I'm smelling hodge podge refin here...but I wish he had better pictures.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Caca de Kick View Post

I am the one guilty of buying this beauty. Here is the story.... It is a one owner Stingray, originally sold by the same store that I bought it from. The bass was a custom order that never ever had a pickguard. The string tree was swapped out for the original but is placed between the A & D strings - there is no hole between the D & G, where the string trees from 1977 were typically installed. There is a Bartollini pup installed, but the original MM comes with the bass. There appears to be a stacked control knob on the Pre Amp. The bridge has both top load and string through capabilities. The bass appears to be incredibly clean and mint, so I thought it was well worth the investment to pick it up.

User Info Menu

That's a wild one Jim. Nice score!
    Buncha Rays and Bongos

User Info Menu

Glad someone here bought it. I came very close to buying it before posting it on here but I thought it would be better to pay my mortgage instead!