The Vault

Thread: Stingray Classic - Why did you buy instead of regular SR?

User Info Menu

Stingray Classic - Why did you buy instead of regular SR?

Played a SR Classic at GC last week; absolute killer.
    If it wasn't for the 2-band EQ I would be perfectly happy with a regular SR though (bridge, neck finish, and colors are not as important to me)
    What feature(s) made you pick the Classic over the regular?

User Info Menu

I don't have one yet, but what has me gassing for one is the two band eq and the neck.
    "Pick the cable of the San Francisco Bay Bridge and hear the devilís growl surrounded by the vivid crying of the wind" - Bartek
    "Without bass and drums, what you've got is Saturday morning at Guitar Center." - adouglas
    "I tell you what I'd do, though, is I'd install another Badass in front of the first Badass so you'd be like double bad-ass." - bovinehost

30th Anniversary StingRay
    DOB: 5/12/06

Fender TB-600 Orange OBC115 OBC410

User Info Menu

i havent got one yet either. but to me its "new"; ive had a handful of "normal" stingrays and loved but but never a 2 band. so, between the 2 band option (i know standard ones come that way too) and the retro colors i think they're pretty rad & unlike any other stingray ive had before

User Info Menu

If I was to get one,it would be for the string mutes.
    Black BIG AL 4SSS
    White Pearl Big Al 4SSS.
    Little Mark Tube 800

User Info Menu

I don't have one, but the finished neck would probably be the feature that would make me go for one over the other.

On the Stingray 5, I know a lot of people have stated their preference for the oval shaped pickguard, which hasn't been available up to now with the exception of the S.U.B. series.

SR5 H, SR4 H (x2)

User Info Menu

String mutes, 2 band eq and strings through body for me.

User Info Menu

Colour, finished neck, string through.

User Info Menu

the whole package but in order it would be mutes and through body stringing; birds eye maple neck; cool colours; slab body; 2 band EQ is the icing on the cake. I wasnt in the market for a new ray but i had to have one of these and its my number 1 bass.
    2018 SR5HHS Cruz Teal - roasted/ebony
    2018 SR4HHS Aqua sparkle - roasted/ebony
    2016 SR4H 40th Anni Old Smoothie - Chocolate burst - maple
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted/maple, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic coral red/birdseye/maple with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl/RW
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/RW
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple
    2003 SR4H Natural/RW
    2003 US Sub 5H White/RW
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst - birdseye maple/Pau Ferro
    1993 SR4 blueburst - flamed maple/maple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drTStingray View Post
    the whole package but in order it would be mutes and through body stringing; birds eye maple neck; cool colours; slab body; 2 band EQ is the icing on the cake.
    Those are my reasons as well. Plus I love the way they sound!
    Stingray Classic 4 String Shell Pink

User Info Menu

For me it was the string through body, birds eye maple board, I like finished necks, and the tone of the 2 band is beefy and warm. I just plain love the feel and sound.
    Big Al, 4 SSS, Olive Gold Sparkle, Maple
    BFR Roasted Stingray, 4H, Black Sugar, Roasted Maple, Ebony Board
    PDN Honey Roasted Bongo, 4 HH

User Info Menu

I love the birds eye maple neck, the string through body set up, mutes and chrome wheel thingy.

With that being said, there are also a lot of regular Stingrays that I also like too that have colors not available on the Classics.

User Info Menu

Finished neck and 2-band EQ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drTStingray View Post
    the whole package but in order it would be mutes and through body stringing; birds eye maple neck; cool colours; slab body; 2 band EQ is the icing on the cake. I wasnt in the market for a new ray but i had to have one of these and its my number 1 bass.
    Your Stingray Classic has to be one of the best feeling and sounding Rays I've ever played.
    1994 Sterling The INVADER Bass
    My short films can be found on http://www.youtube.com/user/TheEyeballKids - feedback always appreciated!

User Info Menu

mine plays wonderfully and sounds absolutely amazing.
    Ciao,
    jAdams

I play bass... ain't nobody mad at me.

Stingray Classic 5, Birdseye, Classic White

www.danlawson.com <--- the band

User Info Menu

I got mine because I wanted the 2-band EQ and string mutes. Basically, I wanted a pre-EB Stingray and just felt that the Classic was, overall, a better option because it was brand new and had some modern improvements over the original design.