The Vault
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's in multiple bands?

User Info Menu

Who's in multiple bands?

The front man of my band just called me with a proposition (no, not that kind).

Cool Shoes is a great, fun act, but we're not as busy as he'd like and he's getting itchy. So he's been looking to join a second band and asked me to come along. I said yes, provisionally.

Am I nuts? I don't have kids, so I think I can swing it.

Anyone have experience with this kind of situation?
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

No kids=No excuse... I think you've got to do it!

So what do you have to loose?

-M@
    Bongo 4H, Black Sugar, Roasted Neck, Ebony
    Reflex
    4HSS, Black Sugar, Roasted Neck, Fretless Ebony

25th Ann. 4HSS, Ven. Red, Rosewood

User Info Menu

It all depends on the kind of band, how often they rehearse etc. I'm basically too lazy to have two projects but if the right situation came along I might do it.

User Info Menu

I do have Kids and sit in with many...Its all a matter of what it is worth to You.
    Just a bunch of Rays...

User Info Menu

Andy, some people in bands think you're supposed to be effing married to each other. Others don't care. Well, at least until one gets booked and the other doesn't. I find that the more disparate the genres of the two bands, the less friction there is.
    -Ben

User Info Menu

If you have the time, then yes. I'm playing in three bands at the moment and love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtoe View Post
    I find that the more disparate the genres of the two bands, the less friction there is.
    Exactly my thought, ben rules supreme as always
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

i play in 3 bands 2 original and one cover band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    The front man of my band just called me with a proposition (no, not that kind).

Cool Shoes is a great, fun act, but we're not as busy as he'd like and he's getting itchy. So he's been looking to join a second band and asked me to come along. I said yes, provisionally.

Am I nuts? I don't have kids, so I think I can swing it.

Anyone have experience with this kind of situation?
    I think this could cause a considerable amount of friction between you (singer and you) and the rest of 'cool shoes'. This could get your band divided into two camps...with the result that one of the two bands break up..

maybe I see it too pessimistic, but you should talk about it to the other guys of your band, so nobody gets a bad feeling

PS: I once joined another band because my current wasn't having that many gigs. I wanted and was able to split time between those bands. But the other members of my original band took serious offence because I did not tell them. And they didn't like me doing it anyway
    Last edited by Bart B; 01-05-2011 at 09:43 AM.
    2007 Stingray HS
    1978 Stingray

User Info Menu

Thanks all.

Your observations pretty much mirror my thoughts.

Cool Shoes is very open and understanding about other commitments, though we'd probably keep it on the down low at first.

The genre is indeed different. Cool Shoes is old-school dance... R&B, Motown, etc.

This other deal (Big Papa and the Knockers... haha) is fronted by a harmonica player and would be doing standard-issue blues-rock, maybe some rockabilly, stuff like that.
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

User Info Menu

I played in 3 at one time, you don't have the any extra pressures on you as you state, it is do-able, it is great fun, do tell the others guys, different genres are a bonus, however I did find that in time One project seems to always stand out and the others you just start to mail in, but as long are enjoying your playing thats all that matters. Good luck

User Info Menu

im in a different band everyday. its great if you dont mind coming up with a routine, 'cause every single day i get to start all over again about the bongo and the big al. i just make sh1t up at this point. "well you see, there was this big flying teacup that landed in roswell in 1952, and......"

User Info Menu

Agree with everyone on this. But as Bart said, if its known you're working on multiple projects, with everyone knowing that upfront, its better. I also agree on the different genres approach, which makes you a more well-rounded player as an added bonus.

Me, I have my more serious dance/R&B band and a less serious buddy band. The buddy band morphs from acoustic, to rock, to bluegrass, to jazz, depending on which buddies are available at what point in time, and I am so lucky to be able to play all these different styles (none of them great, but that's another story).

User Info Menu

I have kids and I'm in two bands. I can keep it up since we only practice once a week and don't play out too much. The main reason I like multiple bands is the change of songs, I don't get too burned out playing the same songs over and over.
    2014 Sterling 5H Black w/ Maple - F28653
    2001 Sterling 4H Blue Dawn w/ Maple - F04289
    2015 Stingray 4H SLO Special Black Cherry w/ Rosewood - E96203
    2011 Classic Stingray 5H Lake Tahoe Blue

User Info Menu

Bands? What is the *bands* that you speak of? Most (if not all) of the bass players I hire in NorCal for blues/soul gigs are professional sidemen and would shudder at the thought of being in a band.