December 2019 BFR

Thread: Little bass for a little guy?

User Info Menu

Little bass for a little guy?

Good friend of mine has a 4 year old son that's crazy about the bass. He knows it in music, he 'air basses' to music and video games. (I suggested therapy, and to get a guitar with more strings in his hands soon, but so far nothing ...)

Obviously great to see somebody so young want to play. Can anyone recommend a bass that would be suitable for a small child? Something with a smaller scale he'll be able to physically play? (I have solid assurances that dad will buy a MM as soon as he's ready.)

Thanks y'all.

User Info Menu

A fender Mustang has a 30" scale and simple controls.
    Cambria, CA. 38mi NW of San Luis Obispo
    '02 Stingray 4H, SBMM Sterling...and 6 non-MMs
    Aguilar TH500, Eden WTX260; DIY 1x12 (2), TC RS210, RS112 (x2)
    Larger avatar photo here; waste an afternoon at my web page
    "Highways jammed wid bwoken hewoes on a wass chance powah dwive..."

User Info Menu

Getting kinda OT, but have you seen those Kala U-bass, ukelele-size basses? I think a few forumites own, and I have tried one once at a store. I also heard they have a solid-body version now (launched at NAMM).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Auricchio View Post
    A fender Mustang has a 30" scale and simple controls.
    +1, or the epiphone SG bass package, i started on that, would need to fix the action, but its an alright starter.
    Slap It.
    Pop It.
    They Will Come.

User Info Menu

i would go w/ a mustang... used is cheaper and has more vibe. i always though a must sounded better than an sg but that's just moi!
    Ciao,
    jAdams

I play bass... ain't nobody mad at me.

Stingray Classic 5, Birdseye, Classic White

www.danlawson.com <--- the band

User Info Menu

I own a mustang, it's a "mini-precision", for me it's the best shortscale bass, super tone and nice to play with. It was my second bass and I never will sell it, love it.

A friend owns a Squier Bronco which has instead of the splitt coil PU one singlecoil. I have to admit that this bass is also good.. for very litte money, no risk to get one.

The slap sound of the Bronco with rounds is great. On the mustang I play Jazz Flats for a vintage sound.. not like a real double bass but it goes in that direction, very very sweet tone.

User Info Menu

I hope I don't get flamed for mentioning this brand name here, but I think Flea Bass have a 30" scale Junior bass
    25th #6 (5HH BFR Quilt)

User Info Menu

Thanks fellas, I will look into those. Hopefully we can get this little guy playing asap.

User Info Menu

Ibanez Micro is an excellent choice also

User Info Menu

It's actually an Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Short-Scale Bass Guitar
    John

Fender 500C + 210

User Info Menu

Bah, get the kid an Ashbory:P

Or capo a real bass at the 5:th fret! See, now dad can get him a musicman right away!
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Or capo a real bass at the 5:th fret! See, now dad can get him a musicman right away!
    Hah! I'll bring my Bongo over to his place this weekend