VPJR Tuner Launch

Thread: So I'm curious to know... (question on Big Al)

User Info Menu

So I'm curious to know... (question on Big Al)

So I have a Big Al SSS that I love but I find myself mainly using the bridge and middle coils together in series and parallel only. My question is how close is the Big Al H in series in sound to the Big Al SSS with bridge and middle in series? Are they very different?
    2014 EBMM Bongo 5 HH Neptune Blue/Black/Roasted Figured Maple Neck & FB (2736)
    2015 EBMM Bongo 6 HH Tangerine Pearl/Black (0632, 0645, 0660, 0680, 0698, 0614)

User Info Menu

before you move along, make sure you go passive, and try all those other pickup combos again. when you are in passive mode, use your outboard amp / preamp / pedals / etc. to goose up a little extra bottom / mids / compression, or whatever youre going for on that tune. the outboard gadgets will give you back your active levels / attitude / vibe. it is absolutely amazing the bizarre configurations that wind up being just the ticket, that , A. i never ever woulda thought of, and B. never could have gotten out of any other bass.

that was a big lesson for me, and has greatly improved my game. i learned it by pure happenstance on the way to a session one day. i was driving down the road and my phone rang. it was some nut-job with a gruff voice just maniacally screaming over and over "put the big al in passive today dumba$$!!!"..... then he let out a big "mmmmmwwwwwaaaaahahahahaaa!!" and hung up on me. i wonder what ever became of him.

User Info Menu

he is watching you now
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

This is Top Gear for basses. Love it.

SBMM Silhouette HSS
    You can tune a bass but you can't tuna fish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    This is Top Gear for basses. Love it.

Then Craig must be The Stig.
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by melvin7822 View Post
    how close is the Big Al H in series in sound to the Big Al SSS with bridge and middle in series? Are they very different?
    The answer is yes.
    (My Big Al SSS has tons of georgous sounds. But it does not offer the sound of a bridge-humbucker,
    while my 25th does, that has the same pickup as the BigAL H.)
    Big Al 4SSS olive-gold/goldswirl/rosewood
    25th anniv. 5HH quilted//maple sold
    Stingray classic 5 mint green/white/Birdseyemaple sold
    2012 PDN Stingray 4 3Bd. EQ mahogany honeyburst Roasted maple neck
    2013 PDN Bongo 5H mahogany neptun blue Roasted maple neck

User Info Menu

Some say he can translate Morse Code for geese. All we know is: he's called The Craig.
    -Ben