Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Vintage tone

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Vintage tone

    hey guys i'm trying to get that 70's vintage stingray tone but i can't buy a stingray classic at the moment. would putting an older stingray pickup on my 2005 stingray give it that vintage tone or is it about changing the 3 band preamp to a 2 band?
    Stingray 4 Single H Stealth Slo
    Stingray 4 Single H Black/Maple

    Ampeg SVT 4 Pro
    Ampeg SVT 810 classic

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    It's about the 2 band. The pickups in the classics and standard models are, I think, the same.

    Get a 2 band, with a big old bridge (that may contribute to the tone)
    1994 Sterling The INVADER Bass
    My short films can be found on http://www.youtube.com/user/TheEyeballKids - feedback always appreciated!

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Duarte View Post
    It's about the 2 band. The pickups in the classics and standard models are, I think, the same.

    Get a 2 band, with a big old bridge (that may contribute to the tone)
    I don't know where I would find an official old musicman bridge
    Stingray 4 Single H Stealth Slo
    Stingray 4 Single H Black/Maple

    Ampeg SVT 4 Pro
    Ampeg SVT 810 classic

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by IvanHardy View Post
    I don't know where I would find an official old musicman bridge
    If you do, let me know. I've got an '88 SR4 that needs one too!
    2012 Bongo 4Hp Sapphire Black
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Markbass Compressore
    Markbass Super Synth
    DigiTech B200

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    I don't think you need to touch the pickup. Besides the usual suspects like fingers, strings, old worn out rubbish amps and the like, a major point is the different behavior of the 2 and 3 band EQ in boosting. Your best bet to emulate a maxed out 2 band is not to boost treble and bass on your 3 band but to center everything and then cut the mids all the way (or to your taste). Adjust volume if needed.

    Do a search on this board for the sound examples by oli@bass - these explain it better than I can.

    Besides, is this bass set up "normally", i.e. EADG tuning with typical string gauges? I seem to remember you tried some wild things wild drop tunings.
    SBMM Silhouette HSS
    You can tune a bass but you can't tuna fish.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Make sure to get your dad's permission before you do any mods.
    1977 Sunburst SR4H with customized 24 fret ebony fretboard, 1982 Natural SR4H X2, 1983 Sunburst SR4H, 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH RW Neck, 2005 LE Buttercream SR4HH, 2007 DD SR4HH, 2007 DD Bongo 4HH, 2009 25th Venetian Red SR4HH BFR RW neck, a couple of regular Sterlings, a few other Stingrays, and a few competitors basses

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    You'd have to drill holes through the body and get ferrules. Additionally, it is about the 2 band; however, John East makes a Stingray preamp that is somewhat modeled after an old 2 band...but has more features.
    Stingray HH

    Markbass LM III & 102p
    Markbass CMD 102P & 410 HR


    My band:
    http://www.declassifiedband.com/

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I don't think you need to touch the pickup. Besides the usual suspects like fingers, strings, old worn out rubbish amps and the like, a major point is the different behavior of the 2 and 3 band EQ in boosting. Your best bet to emulate a maxed out 2 band is not to boost treble and bass on your 3 band but to center everything and then cut the mids all the way (or to your taste). Adjust volume if needed.

    Do a search on this board for the sound examples by oli@bass - these explain it better than I can.

    Besides, is this bass set up "normally", i.e. EADG tuning with typical string gauges? I seem to remember you tried some wild things wild drop tunings.
    it wasn't that wild. i got the aple bass set up for DGCF with Power slinky gauges but i'm considering getting it set back up for standard since i left my band not too long ago. i might as well get my stealth set up with lighter gauges because power slinky's for standard tuning is a bit much now to me. maybe i'll go with hybrid slinky's.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginRog View Post
    You'd have to drill holes through the body and get ferrules. Additionally, it is about the 2 band; however, John East makes a Stingray preamp that is somewhat modeled after an old 2 band...but has more features.
    i was looking into that and i was thinking whether i should get that preamp or not. but the 2 band with extra features doesn't sound so bad.
    Last edited by IvanHardy; 03-27-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    Stingray 4 Single H Stealth Slo
    Stingray 4 Single H Black/Maple

    Ampeg SVT 4 Pro
    Ampeg SVT 810 classic

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by IvanHardy View Post
    it wasn't that wild. i got the aple bass set up for DGCF with Power slinky gauges but i'm considering getting it set back up for standard since i left my band not too long ago. i might as well get my stealth set up with lighter gauges because power slinky's for standard tuning is a bit much now to me. maybe i'll go with hybrid slinky's.


    i was looking into that and i was thinking whether i should get that preamp or not. but the 2 band with extra features doesn't sound so bad.
    I had his P-Retro before, and I must say that his preamps do sound very nice. I actually sold the P bass and preamp to get my Sterling HS...Nothing personal, but my other --nder bass covers the P bass well enough.
    Stingray HH

    Markbass LM III & 102p
    Markbass CMD 102P & 410 HR


    My band:
    http://www.declassifiedband.com/

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RaginRog View Post
    I had his P-Retro before, and I must say that his preamps do sound very nice. I actually sold the P bass and preamp to get my Sterling HS...Nothing personal, but my other --nder bass covers the P bass well enough.
    so you would recommend i get it?
    Stingray 4 Single H Stealth Slo
    Stingray 4 Single H Black/Maple

    Ampeg SVT 4 Pro
    Ampeg SVT 810 classic

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    undefined
    2018 SR5HHS Cruz Teal - roasted/ebony
    2018 SR4HHS Aqua sparkle - roasted/ebony
    2016 SR4H 40th Anni Old Smoothie - Chocolate burst - maple
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted/maple, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic coral red/birdseye/maple with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl/RW
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/RW
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple
    2003 SR4H Natural/RW
    2003 US Sub 5H White/RW
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst - birdseye maple/Pau Ferro
    1993 SR4 blueburst - flamed maple/maple

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by drTStingray View Post
    undefined
    Meaning?
    Stingray 4 Single H Stealth Slo
    Stingray 4 Single H Black/Maple

    Ampeg SVT 4 Pro
    Ampeg SVT 810 classic

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Gentlemen, let's not leap into the aftermarket business here, please.

    I'd rather not close threads and that sort of thing.

    Thanks in advance.

    Jack

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by IvanHardy View Post
    Meaning?
    Meaning I posted from a cellphone and it didn't work the forum used the word undefined btw!

    I actually said that the 3 band EQ is far more versatile than the 2 band (as you'd expect as it was an upgrade - presumably to improve the Stingray's versatility) - however, if I'm using one of my 3 bands, and want to get a close approximation of the 2 band, I boost the bass and treble slightly and importantly, cut the mid a little as well - the 3 band has more mid at centre detent than the mids of the 2 band, generally (unless you cut the bass and treble right back on the 2 band - when it can get quite mid sounding).

    I wouldn't mod a 3 band - you could save for a used 2 band Ray or a used Sub?
    2018 SR5HHS Cruz Teal - roasted/ebony
    2018 SR4HHS Aqua sparkle - roasted/ebony
    2016 SR4H 40th Anni Old Smoothie - Chocolate burst - maple
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted/maple, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic coral red/birdseye/maple with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl/RW
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/RW
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple
    2003 SR4H Natural/RW
    2003 US Sub 5H White/RW
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst - birdseye maple/Pau Ferro
    1993 SR4 blueburst - flamed maple/maple

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RaginRog View Post
    You'd have to drill holes through the body and get ferrules. Additionally, it is about the 2 band; however, John East makes a Stingray preamp that is somewhat modeled after an old 2 band...but has more features.

    adding a john east pre amp with extras does not make it 'vintage' or close.....boost the bass and the treble and keep the mids flat.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

    Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums