The Vault
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bongo action, strings, and fret buzz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by c0d3h4x0r
    You're missing the point. I'm not asking for people's opinions or preferences about how high they like their action. I'm just asking people to document how they have their action set on their Bongo, and what strings and tuning they are using to accomplish that. As data collects, we may find that people are only able to achieve 3/32" action by using particular types of strings at standard tuning, and that people who choose other types of strings or lower tunings quite commonly have to raise their action to nearly twice that.

It would just be nice to have it all documented clearly in one place, as a reference, and to use the power of the Internet to collaboratively build such a data set.

Actually, he got the point just fine. HIS point is that I may be able to play my Bongo with 1/16th inch action across the board and get zero fretbuzz while you may pick the exact same bass and buzz on every fret.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jongitarz
    Exactly why I am staying away from this thread.
    Still staying away

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by c0d3h4x0r
    You're missing the point. I'm not asking for people's opinions or preferences about how high they like their action. I'm just asking people to document how they have their action set on their Bongo, and what strings and tuning they are using to accomplish that. As data collects, we may find that people are only able to achieve 3/32" action by using particular types of strings at standard tuning, and that people who choose other types of strings or lower tunings quite commonly have to raise their action to nearly twice that.

It would just be nice to have it all documented clearly in one place, as a reference, and to use the power of the Internet to collaboratively build such a data set.
    I gave not an opinion but a link to the numbers you were asking for. Faq has a meaning too. EB documented the setup on their basses. You want to be different you have to figure it out for yourself. IMHO

tk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jongitarz
    45-100 with a 130 for the 5 strings
    Thanks Jon

That is the gauge I usually use, that explains the comfort I feel with these.

btw...I take it these are super slinkies?
    The surest way to fail is not to try.

* 25th Anniversary 4HSS Venetian Red - Flamed - Rosewood FB - EB Cobalt Super Slinky Strings (Orpheus)
    * Bongo 4HHP- Sapphire Black - Rosewood FB - EB Cobalt Super Slinky Strings (Merlin)
    * Bongo 4HH Fretless - Lava Pearl - Pau Ferro FB - EB Coated Super Slinky Strings (Phoebe)
    * Stingray 4H Burnt Apple -Rosewood FB - EB Cobalt Super Slinky Strings (Yvette)
    * Ray34 4H Honey Burst - Rosewood FB - EB Cobalt Super Slinky Strings (Francis)

User Info Menu

Still staying away
    Still expressing solidarity with my "Stay Away From Setup Threads" brother.

User Info Menu

I personally don't like getting set-up, the last time my "buddies" did that to me I got 10-15 with no chance for parole!

"Top pros 15 - Talkbass 0"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntMan

btw...I take it these are super slinkies?

i think so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skabassist13
    i think so.

Indeed they are

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midopa
    For my Bongo 4, action at the 12th fret:
    E, D, & G: 3.5/32"
    A: 3/32"

... with Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, 40-100, at standard tuning.
    I was never able to get the action much lower than 5/32" on my Bongo-5's B, E, or A strings without considerable fret buzz all up and down the neck, regardless of the amount of relief I placed in the neck. This was definitely not a case of one particular fret sitting higher than the others; the buzz was not isolated to a single fret or spot on the neck.

But last night I was able to get the action down to 3.5/32" or less by adding additional shim to the neck, to rock the neck back a bit. The only other change I made was to raise the saddles -- I left neck relief alone, and am using the same strings at the same tuning.

When I took the neck off, there was one small plastic strip (a shim) near the bottom of the neck inset. I cut two additional pieces of slim cardboard (like index card) and stacked them with the original plastic strip, and reassembled. I have to have the saddles raised almost to max now, but I get no buzz with the action on the B and E strings set to 3.5/32".

Thinking about the physics of the change I made, the additional angle on the neck (angling it backward by adding more shim) plus raising the saddles should have had no net effect, but clearly it did. Can anyone out there explain why this helped?
    Last edited by c0d3h4x0r; 11-16-2004 at 12:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyMoocher
    i've heard of a guy in toms river, nj who does a fret job for 25 bucks...but i dont know if thats true or not and it probably only matters to about 3 people here
    DirtyMooch - any specific info on this guy would be appreciated. I'm 1/2 hour from Toms River & have been looking for a good "fret" guy. Don't want a cheap job, just a good job. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Correction on my measurements:
    E, D, & A are at 3.5/32". The G is the one at 3/32".

Sorry, codehaxor, I don't know why that happened and I believe the guy who'd know is staying away from this thread.

User Info Menu

if you can wait like a week i'll ask my bass teacher, i know he's pretty good friends with the guy...i think he's a pretty good all around guitar/bass guy because my bass teacher (ryan thompson if you're interested) traded him like a year of free lessons to help him build a 6 string picolo bass which looks really good...but yeah i'll ask him next week

User Info Menu

I just got in a Bongo 6 HH, still setup like stock and I only get noticeable fret buzz / rattle sounds on my B string on the 5th (sometimes) and 6th fret. Is there any way to fix this without raising the action? Maybe one of the frets will have to be filed down?

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tylerwylie View Post
    I just got in a Bongo 6 HH, still setup like stock and I only get noticeable fret buzz / rattle sounds on my B string on the 5th (sometimes) and 6th fret. Is there any way to fix this without raising the action? Maybe one of the frets will have to be filed down?

Thanks in advance.
    I would raise the b string at the bridge a bit if the restis fine...
    https://www.facebook.com/Canyoucancan
    bassic profile

1991 SR4 H black/rw since 1992
    2009 Big Al SSS Olive Gold / Gold swirl
    2009 SR5 HH bfr tobacco burst / all rw neck
    2008 Bongo 5 HH egyptian smoke / phyton
    2006 Bongo 4 HP medallion gold / abalone (SmallEQ Bongo)
    2010 Big Al 5 H bfr roasted neck

User Info Menu

This thread gives me a headache...but I have one comment.

There is no perfect setup IMHO. What works for one person does not work for someone else. I use a lighter touch when when I play my basses. Hence I can get away with a lower action. Someone else who digs in deeper might get fret buzz.
    Black BIG AL 4SSS
    White Pearl Big Al 4SSS.
    Little Mark Tube 800