Flat Ribbon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: string alignment on pre-EB

User Info Menu

string alignment on pre-EB

I own a pre EBMM (1982) stingray and have noticed that there is a significant misallignment of the G (and D) string with the pickup poles (see photo).

I also noted that while playing, D and G strings do not have the same power compared to E and A.

Do you think this misallignment is a bass defect and this relates to the reduced power of the D,G strings?

Is there any way I can fix this somehow?string alignment on pre-EB-img_1399-jpgstring alignment on pre-EB-img_1399-jpg

User Info Menu

First things first; Are you sure your intonation is set right? Because your E saddle is way below the bridge post and getting pulled out of alignment, which looks like it's causing all the saddles to get pulled out if alignment too.
    2nd; how is your pickup height set? It should be sitting slightly higher on the G side of the pickup, than the E side.

Your saddles should be sitting supported between the bridge posts like this.
    -Mike

2014 Big Al 5 SSS tangerine
    1978 StingRay white

User Info Menu

1. I have to check for the intonation. (probably there are issues there too)
    If E and A saddles are brought forward between bridge posts do you think all the strings will be moved to the G side also?

2. i 'll check also the pup height. Only the pup should be sitting slightly higher on the G than the E side or the poles also? I think the G poles height is less than the E poles.

I will post some more pics tomorrow from different angles for more details.

User Info Menu

If this does not work, maybe someone exchanged the bridge swaddles on your bass? They look a little wide to me.
    https://www.facebook.com/Canyoucancan
    bassic profile

1991 SR4 H black/rw since 1992
    2009 Big Al SSS Olive Gold / Gold swirl
    2009 SR5 HH bfr tobacco burst / all rw neck
    2008 Bongo 5 HH egyptian smoke / phyton
    2006 Bongo 4 HP medallion gold / abalone (SmallEQ Bongo)
    2010 Big Al 5 H bfr roasted neck

User Info Menu

Try what Caca de Kick said.

Are the string saddles original? They should be tubular (hollow).

The neck may also have moved its alignment in the neck pocket on the body but check the above first!

User Info Menu

How do I know if the saddles are original?

User Info Menu

`

The saddles are definitely off to the E-side, at least
    in part due to the misplaced E-saddle. Maybe even
    toadally due to that.

If the saddles are hollow you can see the holes on
    the side [hollow like very heavy walled tubes].

`
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

The more I look at that, the more I think those saddles are not original. In fact, if those are the original saddles, I will eat them with or without a nice chianti. There is no way in hell those are going to fit between the two big side bolts on each side of the bridge. That's why the E string saddle is wedged way off to the south/north depending on where you are in relation to the international date line. I assume you were not the master luthier who did the surgery, otherwise you would know this. And this is a good thing. I don't want to think about the logic behind that tomfoolery, apologies to the entire Foolery family in advance.

Upshot: that will not work. It's not working now, it never worked and it is in on danger of working in the future (unless you have very tiny shaped C4 charges but then there are other issues). Or maybe if you're playing free-form jazz?

User Info Menu

I had the same problam as you, this is what I did:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails string alignment on pre-EB-p1040867-jpg  

User Info Menu

The saddles should be 3/4 inches wide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pertyman View Post
    I had the same problam as you, this is what I did:
    With all due respect that isn't going to solve the prob at issue. Also, on your Bass, you now have the possibility of the D&G slipping of the saddles as you play.
    Last edited by Rod Trussbroken; 10-19-2011 at 04:21 AM.

User Info Menu

string alignment on pre-EB-pic5-jpgstring alignment on pre-EB-pic1-jpgstring alignment on pre-EB-pic2-jpgstring alignment on pre-EB-pic4-jpgstring alignment on pre-EB-pic3-jpg

The original owner insists he has never changed the saddles.

Anyway, I tried to align them and all 4 of them do not fit between the two large mounting bolts (PIC1). If pressed to tight them the D string holding bolt cannot be seated properly (PIC2).

If I loose the E saddle it is obvious that there is not enough space for all 4 of them (PIC 3)

Judging from the side, however, saddles are hollow, and seem to be original. (PIC4,5)

User Info Menu

They are too wide, that is obvious. Either some new ones or file them down so they will fit properly.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of 10 pounds of something in a 5 pound bag.

Why are you not taking this to a tech..who can get you the correct saddles?

Michael Kelly
    StingRay 5 HH
    BONGO 6 H
    BONGO 4 H

Bassist for:
    The Femmes of Rock
    Google Dat.

User Info Menu

`

Original saddles, but newer bridge ?

Weird thot, but whoonoze ...

`
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.