Flat Ribbon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesa vs. Markbass

User Info Menu

Mesa vs. Markbass

Ok, here is the dealio. I love the deep end tone mesa amps can produce, I love the "natural" sounding distortion that I can get out of them. Out of all the amps I've tested I like the sounds of something like a Mesa M9 Carbine.

However, I know of the lightness of the Markbass amps, but I haven't really had a good opportunity to check out something that REALLY caught my eye. The MoMark. I searched high and long in Canada for a store that carried a MoMark or a MoMark tester. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and I can only find 1 or 2 markbass heads to try but never the MoMark. On a trip to Ontario I found a little store in Ottawa that carried very little, but of all things it carried a MoMark tester! I was ecstatic. So I pulled out the only bass available, a F*nd*r and I tried out some of the tube modules. Sounded pretty good... for a F*nd*r

However I did not have the opportunity to try it with a musicman and most importantly the low B.

My question is. I have heard great things about Markbass and about their Neodymium magnets in their amps and they are incredibly light. Can any of the modules (I'm particularly interested in their tube modules) for MoMark produce a deep end punch and good sounding natural distortion like mesa can?

I would love to have the MoMark for its interesting capabilities and its lightness and quality. However I don't want to spend money on a whim. I need to know it can produce similar defined deep end and the beautiful natural distortion of the mesa tubes.

Your thoughts. Please.

User Info Menu

BongoPeg,
    Markbass are truly incredible not because they are light but because (in my opinion of;

the uncoloured tone - Every Instrument you plug into a Markbass will sound different. You will hear a difference between 2 MM basses with the same pickup config and timbers,

easy of use - I love the LM Tube and am after a TTE 500 (more on the TTE 500 later),

extended frequency range - If your after a big tight bottom end with Markbass it comes back to your Bass, cause whatever you put in is what you get out .

unbelievable reliability - I was on the Markbass Website looking at Video's etc and click on Feq Asked Q's and saw that Markbass has a 0.04% fail rate!!! That has to be the best in the industry for Electronic Goods wouldn't it?

On to MoMark, I have (like you) tried out a heap of the Modules thru one of those Tester Rigs and was left with 2 rigs I loved (800 Frame, T1M, EQ0, MVVL or 800 Frame, T1M-HE, EQ42S, MVVL) the first is a little more organic with the second being options for days

TTE 500, if you can try one of these before doing anything!!! They sound louder than a 800 w Head and fatter than a Heritage All Valve Ampeg and under 7 KGs.

I hope that helps
    '79 Sabre4-Tobacco Burst-HH-Maple F/board
    '89SR5-Natural-H-Maple F/board
    '03 Bongo5-Black-HH-Piezo
    '03 Bongo5-Desert Gold-HH
    '06 SR5-Tobacco Burst-H-Rosewood F/board
    '09 Ray34-Natural-H-Ebony F/board (Changed from a Maple by myself)
    '10 SR5 Classic-Tobacco Burst-H-Flame M
    '11 PDN SR4 Roasted-H
    '12 PDN Gilded SR4

PDN Sledge Sabre - Mple ordered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rutgart View Post
    TTE 500, if you can try one of these before doing anything!!! They sound louder than a 800 w Head and fatter than a Heritage All Valve Ampeg and under 7 KGs.
    Have you had a chance to compare the TTE500 with a Genz Benz Streamliner? I'm really interested in how they compare.
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

I have owned an LMIII head and now own nothing but Mesa gear despite the weight. I liked the Markbass head well enough and it certainly was lightweight and well built but I found the it a bit uninspiring to play through. I guess I like a bit more color and "personality" from my amp. The biggest problem for a Markbass fan in Canada is the fact that Canadian import tariffs on Italian gear is through the roof. The prices for Markbass gear in Canada is obscene compared to the US. Its like the poor guys in Australia trying to by Mesa gear at hugely inflated prices.
    1. Trans Gold SR5, (Alnico)
    2. Trans Orange SR5, (Ceramic)
    3. Black SR5 (Alnico)
    4. Gremlin Green SR5 (Ceramic)
    5. Trans Green SR5 (Ceramic)
    6. True Gold Bongo 5 H with Torte
    7. Trans Red Sterling 4 Fretless
    8. Blue Dawn LE SR4
    9. Black Cherry Burst SR4

All Lefty

- Dwelling on the banks of the deep end.

User Info Menu

Try the 121p + 121 NewYork set .This is realy the sound I was after.
    A Thick sound with a lot of natural growl!!
    The 12" of Markbass had that growl that I've missed with a 10" speaker.
    I'm a happy man and only can suggest to try this combination.

User Info Menu

Go for the Carbine, if the sound you want is a deep punch and nice smooth distortion then that is a classic Mesa Boogie character, as good as mark bass are, they don't have that character to them imho. M9 Carbine, pretty loud to
    "Can't talk little man? Betcha can't play none either"

User Info Menu

I think you'll be pleased with either, I've heard great things about Mesa and I'm totally in love with Markbass LMT 800 + 104.

Really smart that your taking your time, I ended up returning 3 different heads to Guitar Center before I was able to make my final choice. Fortunately for me the staff at the Castleton, Indiana Guitar Center was really patient and understood I was looking for my rig for the next 5 - 10 years and didn't give me any grief about it. Take your time if you can.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, some of what you said help clarify my thoughts.

I guess the main question I have is, can the MoMark (or what MoMark parts) can produce a nice deep bottom and beautiful natural distortion similar to that of what I hear in an Mesa M9 Carbine (and Mesas in general)?

I already know I like the sounds I can get out of a Mesa. I am just really intrigued by the concept of the MoMark but I have not had the opportunity to try out the MoMark tester with my Bongo. I have no way of ever testing it with my Bongo, as there isn't a MoMark tester in my area anywhere.

I have tried other Markbass products but MoMark is much different. It isn't straight forward; this is the product. It is whatever parts you put into it. I was really hoping someone could clarify this, because I do not have the money to order in a MoMark and parts on a whim.

User Info Menu

I was in your situation and decided to go for the mesa m6. And I have no regrets. This thing just sounds amazingly good with any of my basses and cabinets. And to me it does define quickness and power. I prefer it over the LM tube and it has more definition than the streamliner.

On the other hand, you can get great deals on the markbass F1 these days if you want a clean sound. I also liked the tte 500 a lot when I checked it out.
    https://www.facebook.com/Canyoucancan
    bassic profile

1991 SR4 H black/rw since 1992
    2009 Big Al SSS Olive Gold / Gold swirl
    2009 SR5 HH bfr tobacco burst / all rw neck
    2008 Bongo 5 HH egyptian smoke / phyton
    2006 Bongo 4 HP medallion gold / abalone (SmallEQ Bongo)
    2010 Big Al 5 H bfr roasted neck

User Info Menu

You should try a genz benz shuttle. Best of both worlds IMO.
    Stingray 4 h in orange firemist with maple board
    11' stingray 5hh in tangerine pearl with black guard and maple board

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I have never even had the opportunity to try out any Genz Benz. So I can take your word for true but I do not know myself. I will relook into them. I think I am starting to drift towards the MoMark. Can't quite afford to blow money on a brand new rig quite yet so I have a bit of time.

User Info Menu

I like the shuttles a lot. I have a 6.0 for a practice amp at home...
    https://www.facebook.com/Canyoucancan
    bassic profile

1991 SR4 H black/rw since 1992
    2009 Big Al SSS Olive Gold / Gold swirl
    2009 SR5 HH bfr tobacco burst / all rw neck
    2008 Bongo 5 HH egyptian smoke / phyton
    2006 Bongo 4 HP medallion gold / abalone (SmallEQ Bongo)
    2010 Big Al 5 H bfr roasted neck

User Info Menu

Seriously cheap. their 1200 watt ShuttleMax is less than 1000 bucks on musicians friend. How? Interesting. But I am very undecided. At some point I assume I'm going to just have to take a blind (but mildly informed ) jump. I have this feeling about Markbass that I can't seem to shake though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoPeg View Post
    Thanks guys, some of what you said help clarify my thoughts.

I guess the main question I have is, can the MoMark (or what MoMark parts) can produce a nice deep bottom and beautiful natural distortion similar to that of what I hear in an Mesa M9 Carbine (and Mesas in general)?

I already know I like the sounds I can get out of a Mesa. I am just really intrigued by the concept of the MoMark but I have not had the opportunity to try out the MoMark tester with my Bongo. I have no way of ever testing it with my Bongo, as there isn't a MoMark tester in my area anywhere.

I have tried other Markbass products but MoMark is much different. It isn't straight forward; this is the product. It is whatever parts you put into it. I was really hoping someone could clarify this, because I do not have the money to order in a MoMark and parts on a whim.
    In short, no. I LOVED my MoMarks, favorite amp head yet probably, but it will not sound like a big boy Mesa. I love the Walkabout too, but even it doesn't sound like a big boy Mesa.

For me the MoMark 500W Analog with T1M, EQ7G, and MVVL put out a rich smooth powerful tone, and can even get a bit compressed and maybe even a bit fuzzy.... but distortion isn't really it's thing IMHO. The tube adds depth and heft and richness for sure..... but it's an itsy bitsy tube.

Two suggestions: Genz Benz is some good stuff as mentioned above, I'd also suggest doing the Markbass thing, but throw a pedal in front of it for your grunt.... as said above it will produce it very truly when it hits the power section.
    -Matt the "Manfloozy"

User Info Menu

Yea I haven't really taken a look at Genz Benz. Just never really stepped on my radar and they don't carry any at my local store last I checked.

I was afraid of the fact that it wouldn't sound like "a big boy" mesa. That is too bad. I really love that deep growl especially for my 6 string. But I do want more sounds than just that one. I think the MoMark might be able to give me a little more versatility.

Now I, in a matter of minutes, have done some MAD searching on Genz Benz. Watched some videos from the bass whisperer playing on Big Als, a 25th Anniversary and a Ray. Unfortunately no Bongo but it still gives me a good idea. I am going to have to check them out because I like what I hear there.

Unfortunately this is just throwing more complication in the mix. But if it was easy, it wouldn't be fun am I right?

Thanks a lot guys. This helped. A lot!