Not electric until you plug it in

Thread: Another Bongo EQ thread

User Info Menu

Another Bongo EQ thread

I searched but did not find.

I owned a Bongo 5 HH. Huge sound. Really, when I played it through a shuttlemax 12 / 4-10 / 2-12 genz benz rig it was the best bass tone I have ewver achieved. I ended up selling the Bongo as I decided the 25th was the most perfect bass ever invented. Now I have a 5 string 25th HH and a custom shortscale 4. The 4 has to go as tone demands that I acquire a Bongo 4.

I was considering the Bongo 4 single H favored here by so many. I checked the layout expecting it to be the same as the Bongo HH minus a blend control. I was surprised to see a 3 band eq rather than the 4 band on the HH. Any opinions on the reasoning? For you guys who have played / owned both the HH and the H what difference do you find in the eq?

User Info Menu

I own a Bongo 4 HH and a Bongo 4 H. Both are great basses and have similarities but also have their differences too. My BFR Roasted Neck Bongo 4 H is my number one bass but my Dargies Delight II 4 HH is probably slightly more versatile although the 4 H model gives me different tones out of it that the 4 HH does. I also have a Bongo 4 Hp being built right now and can't wait to see what it will do. Really, no matter what pickup configuration you go with, I think you will be happy. I love both of my Bongos as well as all of my other Music Man basses. Probably the reason why the Bongo 4 H gets more love though is because of it's roasted neck which I love. It looks and plays absolutely awesome.

User Info Menu

If you get the piezo pickup on the H model, it will have the 4 band EQ.
    PDN Fretless Bongo 5H, Bongo 5HH Tangerine Pearl, '77 Stingray, Aguilar TH500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, 104HF.

User Info Menu

I love your 4H with the roasted neck...saw it in some other thread. The balck finish / roasted neck looks killer. I hope they offer the roasted neck again as I prefer a gloss finish (or maybe a classic style neck). I have a posting in the wanted to buy section but I suspect my chances of finding one for sale are slim.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bbernard View Post
    I love your 4H with the roasted neck...saw it in some other thread. The balck finish / roasted neck looks killer. I hope they offer the roasted neck again as I prefer a gloss finish (or maybe a classic style neck). I have a posting in the wanted to buy section but I suspect my chances of finding one for sale are slim.
    Thank you! If your looking for a roasted neck Bongo 4 H, there were only 4 or maybe 5 made I think so they are very hard to find. I think there may have been a few 4 HH models made though but I could be wrong on that. I know I have seen a few for sale in the last year though but they too are kind of hard to find.

User Info Menu

I play my Bongo 5H with its tiny little 3 band EQ all the time. One time, quite by mistake, I blew over a busload of Boy Scouts from Wharton and ended up with some legal costs which were defrayed by the Craig Young Fan Club, thank the lord for those boys.

I maybe once knew why the single H Bongos had 3band versus the other stuff but menopause can certainly do a number on your memory, trust me on this.

Thing is, and I bet this is true for most people who have both kinds, I don't miss the extra mid-control. The lovely thing about the single H Bongo is it's point-and-shoot simplicity while still maintaining the ability to blow over large vehicles full of campers. I like that.

User Info Menu

I love the simplicity of the single H...just wondering if I can get the same big growly tone out of it as I heard coming from the HH. I'll track one down and find out.

User Info Menu

Just ordered myself a single H 5'er & I'm banking on it... If the single H bongo came with a 2 band EQ I probably would have went that way... Like Lord Bongo said, point-and-shoot simplicity... and right-hand technique goes a long way with tone.
    In an endless quest to find a white Reflex 5H...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    The lovely thing about the single H Bongo is it's point-and-shoot simplicity while still maintaining the ability to blow over large vehicles full of campers.
    That, my friend, could very well end up in my signature.
    Stingray 4H - Black Sparkle, rosewood, matching headstock - DOB 5/9/02 (sold)
    Bongo 4H - Candy Red - DOB 5/24/06
    Big Al 4 H Black, Completely Rosewood Neck, Black Pickguard - DOB 01/31/2014

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    The lovely thing about the single H Bongo is it's point-and-shoot simplicity while still maintaining the ability to blow over large vehicles full of campers.

User Info Menu

I'm gonna order Bongo single H 5 banger too, ...it's just matter of time!
    Working on complete my new lightweight rig right now!

I just love sweetspot H Musicmans, ...my reflex 5 HH got 4 band EQ, dual ceramic Humbackers and sweetspot bridge H, ...now it's time for sporty Bongo 5 H.
    I have no problem with 3 band EQ!

My final choice was Blue Pearl, ...but my kids and wife converted me for a Candy Red!

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with the H and yes it can get SUPER growly.
    - Ritch
    Bongo 4H - Limited Fritz the Kat Lime Green - Kermit
    Bongo 4H - Dargie Delight
    Bongo 4HH - Sky Blue
    Sterling 4H - Trans Purple

GK and MarkBass stuff