New banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Bongo!

User Info Menu

Poor Bongo!

So I am having the worst luck lately. I broke my nut the other day, but this week wasn't done with me. My bass got knocked over into a drum set. I felt like I lost a hand because for two years I kept it in immaculate condition and in one week that changed, and I wasn't even the cause. Anyway, photos:

Poor Bongo!-uploadfromtaptalk1335482408432-jpgPoor Bongo!-uploadfromtaptalk1335482420259-jpgPoor Bongo!-uploadfromtaptalk1335482431043-jpgPoor Bongo!-uploadfromtaptalk1335482444177-jpg

Any ideas what to do? CS tells me I can order a new body for 600$. But I don't know if that is worth it. I don't have money cause I just spent it on that EBMM audiophile rig I posted a couple weeks ago. Is there a better option? Or do I just live with it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by BongoPeg; 04-26-2012 at 04:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh nooooooo
    For that much money I would just do a refinish. Then you can have a unique bass.
    John

Fender 500C + 210

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoPeg View Post
    So I am having the worst luck lately. I broke my nut the other day, but this week wasn't done with me. My bass got knocked over into a drum set. I felt like I lost a hand because for two years I kept it in immaculate condition and in one week that changed, and I wasn't even the cause. Anyway, photos:

Poor Bongo!-uploadfromtaptalk1335482408432-jpgPoor Bongo!-uploadfromtaptalk1335482420259-jpgPoor Bongo!-uploadfromtaptalk1335482431043-jpgPoor Bongo!-uploadfromtaptalk1335482444177-jpg

Any ideas what to do? CS tells me I can order a new body for 600$. But I don't know if that is worth it. I don't have money cause I just spent it on that EBMM audiophile rig I posted a couple weeks ago. Is there a better option? Or do I just live with it?

That sucks, I am sorry to hear that. Keep in mind you can always buy the body later on too when you are able. Would that be with the body being finished too or unfinished?

User Info Menu

ouch! If nothing happened to the playablilty of the bass, either go the refinish route or just keep giggin' the heck out of it... BTW, was someone swinging it like a club when it went through the drum kit!?
    In an endless quest to find a white Reflex 5H...

User Info Menu

Sorry man, that was quite a hit. Can you recoup anything from the person who knocked it over? If there is no structural damage I'd live with it and look down the line for most affordable options........
    2012 Bongo 4Hp Sapphire Black
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Markbass Compressore
    Markbass Super Synth
    DigiTech B200

User Info Menu

I'd have it stripped and refin it in some insane color.

User Info Menu

I'd put some of my own dings in it and keep playin it out every chance I could. If you want it to be perfect, keep it locked up in a safe. The first dings are always the worse!

User Info Menu

That's why they invented drum machines!

Seriously though, I'd just touch it up and see if I could live with it. If not, the refinish option might be worth considering.

SR5 H, SR4 H (x2)

User Info Menu

Ouch. That sucks. What colour is that? It looks like a nice one - one of those rare Orange/Gold colours. Like Jay said, was the replacement body going to be finished or unfinished? I'm guessing unfinished.

That's rough. Sorry to see that.

Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

User Info Menu

Scars of a player's life. Keep and and play it.

(F*nder would call that reliced and charge you extra for that stuff...)
    https://www.facebook.com/Canyoucancan
    bassic profile

1991 SR4 H black/rw since 1992
    2009 Big Al SSS Olive Gold / Gold swirl
    2009 SR5 HH bfr tobacco burst / all rw neck
    2008 Bongo 5 HH egyptian smoke / phyton
    2006 Bongo 4 HP medallion gold / abalone (SmallEQ Bongo)
    2010 Big Al 5 H bfr roasted neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stu42 View Post
    Like Jay said, was the replacement body going to be finished or unfinished? I'm guessing unfinished.
    There is no way EB/MM would send him an unfinished body and expect him to get it painted to match. It would be a replacement body in the same color.

So, the OP has a couple of options:

1) Pay the $600 for a new body that will replace the current one

2) Have just the body refinished for around $300-$400. No way of knowing if anyone could match the current color exactly if that's what you wanted.

3) Have both the body and neck refinished for around $600. Including shipping both ways, this is about what I paid for the Billy Bass.

4) Accept the dings and move on without spending any money.

So, how exactly did the bass end up in the drumset?
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

User Info Menu

My father was moving the drum set out of the way so he could reach something and my bass was on a stand nearby. His sports coat caught on my bass and pulled it straight off the stand.

I would easily refinish it if it wasn't such a gorgeous color. The last picture really gives you an idea of the beauty.

EB has beautiful paint choices I gotta say. I think I might just keep the scars.

User Info Menu

Some thing for you and your dad to talk about for years to come!
    2012 Bongo 4Hp Sapphire Black
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Markbass Compressore
    Markbass Super Synth
    DigiTech B200

User Info Menu

Make up a story about you seeing a bus full of school children on fire and hanging off the edge of a bridge, whilst being attacked by bears.

You had to use the bass to fend off the angry bears, who were protesting about the increasing price of honey, with your Bongo, before using it to prop up the bus and safely rescue the children.

Women will love you for being the hero.
    "this place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a supervisor with a sub-machine gun"

Monkey Likey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
    Women will love you for being the hero.
    Yeah--Like women talk to the bass player...
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.