Mariposa Green
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickguard option anxiety

User Info Menu

Pickguard option anxiety

So, thanks to this guy, I found out about http://www.quickguards.com.

I have been looking for something a little bit flashier for the white whale for when I am not feeling the tort (yeah, Mark, it happens). I emailed him asking what he thought would go well with a slightly yellowed white. His response (that arrived in about 20 minutes, I might add)? Send me a good picture and I'll send you some photoshops. I didn't think I'd get back 12.

I think I know which one I want, but I didn't want his work to go to waste, and I know you guys love pictures. Some of these would look AMAZING with stealth and black sugar (and just about any finish, really).

If you view the image in it's own tab, you can see what his description of the pickguard is if it looks like something you might like.

He's currently working on some examples with the Billy Bass, too. I don't think there will be as many that work with daphne blue, but we'll see. It'll be fun to get one that doesn't have screw holes at all for that one since it's just held on with double sided tape, anyway.
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

User Info Menu

Tort...close thread

Seriously though, white and tort go together like peanut butter and jelly.
    John

Fender 500C + 210

User Info Menu

I was checking out those quickguards. They look really good and the price is very good.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg

Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

User Info Menu

Re: Tort

Yeah, I don't like to wear the same pair of pants every day, either. After almost a decade of primarily tort on this bass, I think I'm entitled to something a little different every once in a while. Plus--cheaper than a new Bongo.
    slightly out of date pic

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

User Info Menu

the flag one would be good if you were playing a political convention, oh, sorry, those are over for another 4 years, maybe the 4th of july gig?

User Info Menu

I dig the record label the best, but they are all great.
    Buncha Rays and Bongos

User Info Menu

Tort or pearl will always get my vote on a white bass with rosewood. Clean, classic, delicious.
    2009 Bongo HH4 Desert Gold BFR Rosewood Neck
    2009 Stingray HS4 Ice Blue BFR Rosewood Neck
    Big Al 4SSS

User Info Menu

3,6 and 7 would be my choices. They all are pretty cool!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    3,6 and 7 would be my choices. They all are pretty cool!
    Yeah...those would be my picks as well. Probably 7 is my fave but, as you say, they're all cool in their own way.

Thanks for posting these pics. I'll have to send them a decent straight-on shot of my Bongo and see how these look on Black Sugar. I was thinking the copper coloured sparkle would work great with Black Sugar since the sparkles in Black Sugar are more copper coloured themselves.
    Last edited by stu42; 09-11-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

User Info Menu

Yeah, #7 and #6 are the two I'm trying to decide between. They will go well with the refinished neck on the white Bongo, I think.

slightly out of date pic

l to r:

User Info Menu

Those are all insanely great.

User Info Menu

(fireburstgoldcracklesparkle)

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=bassmonkeee;889316]So, thanks to this guy, I found out about http://www.quickguards.com.

the flag is cool, but I think this one matches that sweet looking neck the best... (camo would look nice too...)
    nice Bongo!
    In an endless quest to find a white Reflex 5H...

User Info Menu

After seeing these, tort doesn't look the same. And it has always been my favorite.

User Info Menu

#4 is my fave, but they all look pretty cool.
    2014 Sterling 5H Black w/ Maple - F28653
    2001 Sterling 4H Blue Dawn w/ Maple - F04289
    2015 Stingray 4H SLO Special Black Cherry w/ Rosewood - E96203
    2011 Classic Stingray 5H Lake Tahoe Blue