Flat Ribbon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strap Lock Question (forum search done, exact answer not found)

User Info Menu

Strap Lock Question (forum search done, exact answer not found)

I bought Schaller strap locks for my SBMM before funding out the EB made a similar type product. From what I have read, I gather that the strap button stock on a MM bass/guitar are not compatible with a EB locks set. Is that correct.

Being overly anal as I am, I have a few concerns over replacing strap buttons. Damaging the bass, breaking a screw, and unoriginal equipment on the bass, are the three best that I think are the least likely to cause me to seem like a real goof. I also want to be able to use the same strap for whatever bass I am using, so getting extra buttons is of issue as well.

If the EB locks won't work with the MM buttons, are there any strap locks that will work with the stock buttons? I know it REALLY is no big deal to switch out the buttons, just not a big fan of jacking around with something that was perfect from the start.
    MM Stingray 4 Black/Maple
    Ampeg SVT 2 Pro Premiere 228/250
    Ampeg Heritage Series SVT-810E

User Info Menu

That is correct, Jules. Strap locks, including EB locks, are not compatible with the the OEM strap button.

I wouldn't be too concerned about replacing the strap buttons. Especially if you're replacing them with EB product. Their QC is second to none, and their strap locks are designed as a direct replacement. I have them on mine and wouldn't gig without them.

Nice pics, by the way. Have you plugged that bad boy in?

tbone

User Info Menu

just make sure you keep the original strap pins handy, in case you do sell and you want to return it to its original status.
    I like Ernie Ball straplocks on my EBMM basses, and Dunlops on everything else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T-bone View Post
    That is correct, Jules. Strap locks, including EB locks, are not compatible with the the OEM strap button.

I wouldn't be too concerned about replacing the strap buttons. Especially if you're replacing them with EB product. Their QC is second to none, and their strap locks are designed as a direct replacement. I have them on mine and wouldn't gig without them.

Nice pics, by the way. Have you plugged that bad boy in?

tbone
    Actually I have yet to touch the thing. My cab has been delayed getting shipped so I am going to have use my headphone amp for now anyway.

User Info Menu

I swap out the buttons on all of my guitars with Schallers and the MM shop-installed screws usually work fine. In a couple of cases I have used 2" screws. Whatever I do, I always retain the original hardware - just in case.
    Classic Sabre "Natural" born 4/23/2014
    20th Anniversary Stingray 5 HH "California Sunset" born 5/10/2007
    Stingray H "Redwood" born 8/6/2008
    Stingray 5 HS "Dargie Delight" born 2/28/2007
    Classic Stingray 5 "Vintage White" born 5/17/2010
    SUB 5 "Graphite" born 4/1/2005
    Stingray 5 H LF "Black" born 4/1/2003
    Stingray H "Orange Firemist" born 1/28/2009
    SUB 1 H "Graphite" born 1/27/2005
    GK Fusion 550 & Neo 212 II
    GK MB150E & MBX
    GK MB112 II & 112MBP

User Info Menu

Will Dunlop straplocks fit without modification or do they require different screws?
    I have Dunlops on all my basses including my Stingrays but I was a big concerned with the Bongo and the softer basswood.
    It also seemed like the screw for the Bongo was quite a bit longer than my Rays.

User Info Menu

They require small head screws that come in their package. The regular EB screws will not work (won't fit inside the hollow part of the Dunlop receptor). I don't recall if the EB screws are interchangeable. This is an EB forum, so ixnay on more talk about other brands, K?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by njhammer View Post
    I swap out the buttons on all of my guitars with Schallers and the MM shop-installed screws usually work fine. In a couple of cases I have used 2" screws. Whatever I do, I always retain the original hardware - just in case.
    This. Exactly what I do as well. Works great every time.
    2012 Bongo 5HH PDN Honey Roasted
    GK 700RB-II, Neo 210, Neo 115-III

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T28 View Post
    Will Dunlop straplocks fit without modification or do they require different screws?
    I have Dunlops on all my basses including my Stingrays but I was a big concerned with the Bongo and the softer basswood.
    It also seemed like the screw for the Bongo was quite a bit longer than my Rays.
    I think the other brand screws are shorter. I always use the original screws so I don't have to worry about the screw threads not matching. On one set the screw head wouldn't fit into the button hole so I took it to work and ground a little off the head diameter. I also like to put a drop of wood glue in the screw hole before re-installing the button for extra insurance on the fit.
    If you want some extra strap integrity while keeping all original equipment they make a washer type lock that goes on the factory button and keeps the strap from sliding off.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg

Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

User Info Menu

Schallers are a quick and easy swap. You can use the exact same screw that came with your bass. I have done it many times, and if you ask my wife, she'll say I'm no Mr. Fix-it.
    John

Fender 500C + 210

User Info Menu

I bought some Schallers recently. They are now being sold with the longer screws to be used with the EBMM basses. Easy swap out. Just look at the package before you buy to see if they have both screws. Cheers!
    Big Al, 4 SSS, Olive Gold Sparkle, Maple
    BFR Roasted Stingray, 4H, Black Sugar, Roasted Maple, Ebony Board
    PDN Honey Roasted Bongo, 4 HH

User Info Menu

I use the EB strap locks. Best I have come across. I have used most of them. Especially with how violent I play. No failures.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Holdsg View Post
    This is an EB forum, so ixnay on more talk about other brands, K?
    Guess I assumed since we were talking about EBMM basses (my Bongo in this case) and what might fit on EBMM basses that it was ok. Sorry if I broke a forum rule but regardless I appreciate the answer.

User Info Menu

I guess I am really the one who started it. My apologies.

User Info Menu

I'm sure it's not a big deal as long as they are attached to an EBMM bass.
    John

Fender 500C + 210