Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stingray 4 tuned BEAD?

Quote Originally Posted by BullHorn View Post
    Has anyone here tried doing that? I have a beautiful and extraordinary 3.8kg Transparent Teal Stingray 4H which I love. A few days ago I had the opportunity to trade it for a Stingray 5 for an extra $200, but I don't think it can be as amazing as mine. The 5-er weighs 4.5kg and is the standard sunburst finish that doesn't really get me excited anymore.

So I thought I could save some money and keep my awesome bass by converting it to BEAD.

Can this be done without having to adjust/file the nut? What strings are recommended for such tuning?
    I tune all my basses C-F-Bb-Eb.
    I actually go the opposite direction than most and use medium light strings, as l like a deliberately wobbly/rattly C and D.
    You can also go for a stiffer string as well.
    The only change you MUST make is adjusting the intonation.
    After that you also might need to loosen the truss rod depending on your string choice.
    2003 blue dawn fade Sterling
    BFR Roasted Stingray
    Black 4 str SUB bass.

Does anybody have a specific set of strings to recommend for switching a Stingray 4 to BEAD. I remember trying the low 4 from a set of Ernie Ball .130 5 String set and not having luck getting that .130 through the bridge hole. It's been a while since I tried that. I normally use Ernie Ball nickels on my basses. Should I try a set with .125, or would the B be too floppy?

If anybody has a set they have used for BEAD on a Stingray, I'd love a recommendation. Again, nickel rounds and EB would be my first choices.

I currently have a bass from another manufacturer set up as a BEAD and am using it a lot in my new band. I have an old Stingray that would be SO much better, if I can get it set up that way. Thanks!
    1997 Stingray 4 - Trans Red, Rosewood
    2007 Stingray 4HS - Black, Maple
    2009 Sterling 4HS - Trans Gold, Maple

Well I guess it's me up again.
    Basically you have to file the nut to be wider, in order to fit a .130.
    If you have a recent bass that features the EBMM compensated nut, and would rather not monkey with the EBMM compensated nut, you have to get a slimmer string set. A heavy set, like 110's might fit the bill.
    I'm using Super Slinky 100's to play in C. So Power Slinky 110s for B are totally possible.
    Pretty sure you can dig around and find another brand with a 115 set
    2003 blue dawn fade Sterling
    BFR Roasted Stingray
    Black 4 str SUB bass.

A friend of mine tunes his pre-eb fretless in BEAD and it sounds fantastic.
    2004 EBMM Bongo 5HH Desert Gold w/ Orange Swirl PG
    1983 Music Man StingRay Bass Black&Maple

I'm probably answering the thread from 2012 than the recent posts but I had an amazing Pearl Blue SR5 from 2002. A couple of years ago I had a shoulder problem which the bass was exacerbating so decided that I wanted something lighter but that sounded like my SR5. Plus I have carpal tunnel & trigger finger, which although causes me trouble from time to time, I've got it under control after physio and exercises I do at home.

Since my SR5 had the ceramic pickup, and after trying many Stingrays and not liking them, I decided to go for a Sterling. It doesn't sound like the SR5 100% but it's close enough

I fitted a set of Hipshot Ultralight HB6 tuners and an extender with the double stop on the E string. I don't need a 5 string all of the time so this was a great compromise and I've been able to incorporate changing between the 3 tunings during songs.

I was using D'addrio EXL 165 nickel plated strings but it was way too floppy when I dropped the E down to B so I bought a pile of 110 strings for a good price. When I played flats I was using Chromes. I bought those separately as well to get the gauge as closely tensioned as I could which was 45, 60, 80, 110 so I knew the 110 on the E would work.

I've been through over 130 basses in the 30 years I've been playing and this is the happiest I've been with my bass and my sound. I haven't been tempted by anything else since I got this, although I am keeping an eye out for word of a 25th anniversary Sterling.
    2016 EBMM Sterling with Hipshot Double Stop

Gallien Krueger MB500

Barefaced One10

Morning/evening all. Iíve not logged in here for a while now so itís been some nice reading.
    I have two stingrays (Leighton and SunBlue as they are fondly called) there both 2005 era. The one is an LE model with a compensated nut so it makes sense to keep that in standard EADG (or Half a step down as it is currently) on that I use coated steels 105-50 gauge
    SunBlue is set up in BEAD for that I use the same brand of coated steels in a 130-65 gauge. Pretty easy to convert if you are used to setting your own basses up (as said in previous posts. The nut will need to be adjusted to accommodate the heavier strings. Truss rod adjustments and most importantly intonation. Keep playing it making minor adjustments as you go)
    For me itís one of the best moves I ever made. Five strings are not my thing so itís the only option. It WILL totally change your playing style for better. Two basses. Two tunings. The possibilities are endless!
    (My low B will happily drop down to A. Itís all in the set up)

StingRay 4H Buttercreme 2005 L.E. ("Leighton")
    StingRay 4H Vintage Sunburst under Light Blue. 2005 ("SunBlue")
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE AMPS.

Thanks for the tips!

You all have helped me get some direction here.

Last month, I joined a good band that plays a lot of modern country. I'm up to 4 songs and counting on my BEAD bass currently, plus some Drop-D's. I like having one bass in BEAD and one in EADG, just like you say danny-79. Five strings are also not my thing.

I have also (over the years) really nailed down my preference to 1.5 inch nut, oil/wax neck and Music Man sound. My Sterling 4 HS is just heaven to play on. It's my EADG bass. I have a couple of old Stingrays - love the look and sound, but hate the 1 5/8" nut. My current BEAD bass is another brand - it's got a 1.5 inch nut, but has a gloss neck and doesn't have the MM sound.

Sometime this month, my new Stingray SLO Special arrives. It will hopefully bump the Sterling out of the #1 slot. After I play it a while and make that decision, I'll either convert the Sterling to BEAD or look for a second SLO Special if I want to keep alternate #1's. The old Stingrays are likely gonna be sold - I just don't enjoy the wider necks now. Could sell 'em both and get a second SLO.

Anyways, thanks for helping, and reading my thoughts and plans. It's all coming together, I think....
    1997 Stingray 4 - Trans Red, Rosewood
    2007 Stingray 4HS - Black, Maple
    2009 Sterling 4HS - Trans Gold, Maple