BFR Feb 2020
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really really really, no touch up paint for the Bongos??!

User Info Menu

Really really really, no touch up paint for the Bongos??!

I'd welcome a definitive answer from EB on this one:

Everywhere I've read, it seems there's no touch up paint available from my sapphire black Bongo 4. I even bought some sapphire black BMW paint thinking that it might work. Nope.

So is it really true that while we can put a man on the moon, there is no way to get a Bongo bass fixed? If there is a way, let me know please. If there isn't, please put me out let me know and might I add "sheesh, that's ridiculous."

Best,

Jeremy

User Info Menu

Is there actually a bass manufacturer that sells touch up paint?
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

User Info Menu

Try your local body shop - many can make very small quantities of paint from scanning your original. While-you-wait dent removal places do it around here.
    Ken

Venetian Redburst 25th 5H / Desert Gold Bongo 5H / Honeyburst Sterling 5H / White w/Rosewood Neck StingRay 5H / Blue Pearl Sterling 4H
    And a bunch of non-EBMM stuff!

User Info Menu

i mix up some black and blue paint to do the job
    - Bongo 6 HH Sapphire Black ~29/6/12
    - SBMM JP60 Black ~12/2/2013

User Info Menu

My car came with a small bottle of touch-up paint. It would be nice if basses came with the same, but I've never seen that.
    2002 SR5, Trans Red, RW fretboard
    2004 SR5 unlined FL, Vintage Sunburst, transparent PG, pao ferro fretboard
    2009 Bongo 4 HS Stealth, RW fretboard, Hipshot D-tuner
    2013? SUB Ray5 WS
    → Boss GT-10B → Trace Elliot GP-7 SM 150W

User Info Menu

The paint process that most manufacturers use consist of mainly water based paints that are cured by a process not available in touch up pots and probably would not be an accurate colour match anyway! Buying used instruments that are "Road Worn" is a chance you take, A new bass Stingray, Bongo etc is something you really need to take care of, "HeavyDuties" answer is a good solution.... Peter.. ex Paint and colour technician
    Last edited by pete bass; 02-23-2013 at 08:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Can you be more specific about what doesn't work with the paint you bought?

I suspect the problem might be that the looks of the original paint depend to a large part on clear boats over the color base. If so then even if you used the original color base you still wouldn't match the instrument until you apply base and clear coats in the original layering.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bassguy View Post
    You shouldn't try to repair poly paint with nitro. You can do more damage to the existing paint. And it doesn't solve the clear coat problem.

User Info Menu

Basses get dings and scratches. It a fact of life if you're going to play them. If it's killing you, practice with a combination of colored and metallic Sharpies on a piece of wood until you get a shade that will at least de-emphasize the offending ding.
    -Ben

User Info Menu

flats for the bongo!
    roundwounds for the fretless!

eb customer support:
    E-mail: musicman_customerservice@ernieball.com
    Telephone: +1 866-823-2255

trussrod adjustment:
    Click here for an image!
    less relief / flatter = lower action
    more relief / bow = higher action
    do NOT use cheap tools to adjust with. they break and scrape up your bass!

if you have a 100th namm sr4: the truss works the other way around on those!

i have no affiliation with eb other than i love their basses

User Info Menu

Acrylic nail polish comes in a gazillion colours. It's a great option for touching up modern instruments.
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

I guess the answer is "no".

User Info Menu

I think-
    If you attempt a touch-up, even with factory paint it will never match exactly- fading,etc.
    Either do a complete refinish or get used to it. The first or only blemish is the worst; I feel your pain!
    LOCK it in the POCKET

User Info Menu

TNT was that a jab?

There are 22 to 27 coats of finish on the bass....and it is a polyester. If we sold you something it would be no better than a sharpie fix or nail polish and would not hold up

questions posed like this one wont get a speedy answer....
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.