Not electric until you plug it in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no signature bass?

User Info Menu

Why no signature bass?

Why is it there isnt a signature edition MM bass. I know alot of famous bassists probably play bog standard instruments and it would be pointless putting out a standard bass with a signature on the head just because they can, but with the amount of guitarists with a model and with MM being famous for its basses, im surprised that one hasnt turned up.

User Info Menu

`
    Huh ???? You mean such as .....

"StingRay 4 CLASSIC LTD EDITION SLEDGE BASS
    - ENDORSED BY TONY LEVIN!

Endorsed by Tony Levin, Custom, Metallic, special effect
    flake finish, Birdseye Maple Neck with High Gloss finish,
    Maple or Rosewood Fretboard, Includes Certificate of
    Authenticity Signed by Tony Levin! Black Pickguard,
    2-Band EQ, Mutes, Thru Body, Case. Retail $XXXX "

Now, I don't know if this ax actually bears Mr Levin's
    scribble, but thaz unimportant ... unless you're some
    kinda pimple faced noobster rock geetard wannabee ....

--------------------------------------------------------------

Perznally, I have a few signature models, signed by
    Bill Roberts, Dan Clement, Stu Spector, H.P. Wilfert,
    and not by silk screen, but actually hand signed, by
    the individual who REALLY matters, to me, in so far
    as these basses are concerned ... meaning that they
    are signed by the builders of the basses.
    Last edited by Golem; 02-26-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

It speaks for itself does it not - Look at the guys using EBMM on tour and in the studio...it's the MM Bass Platform with the artist finding their sound within that...I'm getting all deep and stuff, but hey, I'm thinking if the "Bass Goddz" I dig are using EBMM stuff off the rack and doing "THAT"...what can I do when I pull it off the rack...

Alot it seems

Just sayin

Michael Kelly
    StingRay 5 HH
    BONGO 6 H
    BONGO 4 H

Bassist for:
    The Femmes of Rock
    Google Dat.

User Info Menu

If they do, put me down for (1) of these:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why no signature bass?-randy-jpg  
    LOCK it in the POCKET

User Info Menu

EBMM instruments are cool enough to sell it without any loud names on the headstock.

Take X bass - put the X name on it and thousands of "X-wannabees" will buy it. But MM does not need that I guess. It is to good already)

But it would be good if EBMM will add more musicians into the Artists gallery. There are much more noticeable bands and players over the world who uses EBMM instruments but not represented there. God Is An Astronaut for example)
    Last edited by Gravesend Black; 02-27-2013 at 04:00 AM.
    MusicMan Stingray 5H: Honeyburst/ White PG/ Ceramic magnets/ Ash body/ maple neck/ maple fingerboard.
    DOB 02/14/'95

MusicMan BFR Stingray 5HH: Natural/ Tort PG/ Alnico magnets/ Ash body/ rosewood neck/ rosewood fingerboard.

DOB 04/03/'09

User Info Menu

If any EBMM bass deserves signature model, ...that should be for sure Dave La Rue's Bongo 4 HS.

OK, ...maybe John Myung's Bongo 6 too, but it's too early for that?

Let's say that Tony Levin already endorse Classic Sledge Stingray, ...but still missing a signature on the bass!

User Info Menu

Loads of words spoken here with not much sense.

My point is that surely not every big name MM bass player uses stock instruments? Other companies make money off of endorsements and im sure MM/ernie ball are no different and with the popularity of the stingray surely it would be worth while to have a signature edition. First one that springs to my mind is a Pino Palladino model.

User Info Menu

the sense-able thing is this.

other mfgs use sig models to boost sales.
    EBMM allows the instruments to sell themselves without such gimmicks.

that make sense?

User Info Menu

From what I see out there with other manufacturers, "signature" models are generally manufactured to the specs of a signatory's modded bass. Is there anyone out there playing a modded SR that, if EBMM were to make it a signature model, would make it worth the company's time and money? I don't see it.

As for the EBMM signature guitar models (Luke, Morse, Lee, Petrucci), I believe these were designed by EBMM to the signatory's specs rather than a standard EBMM guitar having been modded. Just my 2 cents.
    SR Special 5 "Classic Natural" born 5/30/2018
    SR H "Redwood" born 8/6/2008
    SR5 HS "Dargie Delight" born 2/28/2007
    SR5 Classic "Vintage White" born 5/17/2010
    SUB5 "Graphite" born 4/1/2005
    SR5 H LF "Black" born 4/1/2003
    SR H "Orange Firemist" born 1/28/2009
    SUB1 H "Graphite" born 1/27/2005
    GK Fusion 550 & Neo 212 II
    GK MB150E & MBX
    GK MB112 II & 112MBP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by njhammer View Post

As for the EBMM signature guitar models (Luke, Morse, Lee, Petrucci), I believe these were designed by EBMM to the signatory's specs rather than a standard EBMM guitar having been modded. Just my 2 cents.
    Yeah, ...I could agree with this from quote, ...in that case, only John Myung play completely customized Bongo 6 HS, right?
    But that model is not in a serial production!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steevo View Post
    Loads of words spoken here with not much sense.

My point is that surely not every big name MM bass player uses stock instruments? Other companies make money off of endorsements and im sure MM/ernie ball are no different and with the popularity of the stingray surely it would be worth while to have a signature edition. First one that springs to my mind is a Pino Palladino model.
    Um, yeah, let's have a Pino model, it's not like he's got a signature F*nder like every other bass player.
    Listen, there is a lot of sense spoken here, you're just not listening.
    The guys that matter, like Tony Levin, seem to get along fine with stock models, while others may have a bass or two made passive, but in essence they are stock. The pros may get fancy colours, binding or some weird wood, but buying any EBMM instrument gives you one as good as any pro's play. get it?
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by njhammer View Post
    From what I see out there with other manufacturers, "signature" models are generally manufactured to the specs of a signatory's modded bass. Is there anyone out there playing a modded SR that, if EBMM were to make it a signature model, would make it worth the company's time and money? I don't see it.

And this. Remember, Sterling Ball is a kick ass bass player who was involved in the development of the original Stingray, but I don't think Sterling knows enough about how a pro guitarist wants their instruments, so he asked some bad-ass players to help out. Sort of anyway
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

You got a sunburst SR4? Take off the pickguard, and you've got a Cliff Williams sig model. Simple.
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

Plus:
    You can sign it with the same Sharpie used for touch-ups!
    LOCK it in the POCKET

User Info Menu

`

..... the sig model Sharpie ?
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.