Axis Capo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Pick Up Bass ONLY!

User Info Menu

Single Pick Up Bass ONLY!

Hi Forum, its been a while
    Been doing a lot of playing, I've got three main basses Two StingRay SR4's and another quality branded bass beginning with 7' with two pickups in neck and bridge position 18v pre.
    Im currently using the same Genz-Benz amp ive had for a while (M-Line 200 1x15 combo) but have just ordered another G-B amp, Shuttle 6.2 with 1x15 & 4x10 and im like a kid waiting for that cold time of year (love the summer) anyway... The two Stingrays are the same, both 3band rosewood, completely stock, very important that !! (sorry only thing to ever go wrong with them is the battery compartment, had to replace the boxes on both at some point, just ware an tare, its plastic on the back of a bass that's loved every day so its going to get knocked about, if it happens again, its a battery snap and metal plate for the both of them ! ) they both sound very different so...

Back to the point of this post (sorry missed you all ) is I have concluded that any bass I ever buy in the future has to be single H pick up...... ONLY...... (would love a Bongo, Single H 4String, if anybody selling, will look around seriously when sold the 7.J I just cant get on with pick up blend. At all. sad really cause the 2xPu bass mentioned earlier is a nice bass, sounds nice through the Benz in any setting thinkable cause I've been through them all with my ears as my guide
    But the StingRay's sound ...? cant find a word ... something around Amazing?
    I've found my sound and am sticking to it! I've always had it, change for the sake of change I suppose
    So that's it for me, Stingrays SR4. OR... any new variation of it that comes along from E.B as long as its single H I'm interested, Bongo, 25th etc keep me posted oh and of cause Genz-Benz amps. the one I've got is amazing at the size and volume of it, retaining quality at volume (played in a barn with it a few weeks back, bit tinny in there but bass was heard and felt by all) (cream Stingray by the way) so why the new order ? Why not !!! Will let you all know how it goes when I get it

If you have read this far then thanks just happy to feel settled on the deciding feature of what I have and what I might have in the future "Single H ONLY Please "

Dan.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I haven't tried the single H Bongo but those here that have really like 'em.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg

Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

User Info Menu

Bongo single H is "The secret weapon" ...trust me, ...I got one!!!

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of single H SR5 but like inner coils sound on my SR5 HH very much aswell
    MusicMan Stingray 5H: Honeyburst/ White PG/ Ceramic magnets/ Ash body/ maple neck/ maple fingerboard.
    DOB 02/14/'95

MusicMan BFR Stingray 5HH: Natural/ Tort PG/ Alnico magnets/ Ash body/ rosewood neck/ rosewood fingerboard.

DOB 04/03/'09

User Info Menu

Love my single H Ray (prefer it over HH config on that model, anyway), but my HH Bongo... well, let's just say it has something special.
    2014 Sterling 5H Black w/ Maple - F28653
    2001 Sterling 4H Blue Dawn w/ Maple - F04289
    2015 Stingray 4H SLO Special Black Cherry w/ Rosewood - E96203
    2011 Classic Stingray 5H Lake Tahoe Blue

User Info Menu

single H bongo = sweetness + a bit of sassy, just right by me.

User Info Menu

My sterling 5 H is getting alot of play time. Love it! Glad to hear you still got my old sunburst ray. That was the first MM I owned. sunburst goodness

User Info Menu

Reflex crushes all. Didn't BP say that the humbucker in the 25th/Reflex was the best he'd made?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keko View Post
    Bongo single H is "The secret weapon" ...trust me, ...I got one!!!

I've never heard one in person, but 4 a band EQ on Basswood has got to be bad to the bone....
    "You can't multiply wealth by dividing it."

User Info Menu

A single pickup Stingray with the pickup in the P bass sweet spot would be super cool.
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

User Info Menu

`

I happen to prefer multi-PU basses if we mean multi
    *magnetic* PUs. OTOH my fave is a SINGLE mag PU
    plus a piezo bridge.

Now that fave does involve a PU blender, which I do
    realize you don't favor ..... buttttt ! The PU blender
    that bugs you is not a simple blender. It's also like a
    moving PU, moving the mag PU system's "center of
    gravity" back and forth. Thaz just NOT the same job
    as the PU blender on a 1H-plus-piezo configuration.

With a 1H plus piezo, the COG of the sole mag PU
    obviously never moves. It's tone is related to its one
    fixed location. A piezo bridge is NOT a "bridge PU" in
    the sense that a rear PU of a twin mag PU bass is a
    bridge PU. A piezo bridge essentially has NO location
    tonewise. It matters not where the harmonics of the
    string occur since a piezo always listens to the whole
    string at once.

So, you may find the PU blender on a 1H + piezo is
    something you can use. Kinda like the blade switch
    on a 1H SR5 or a Sterling, it alters PU tone, but does
    not choose nor alter WHERE along the string to hear
    the harmonics. IOW, it's a very special tone control
    but very different from dialing between two mag PUs.
    Last edited by Golem; 08-16-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

I concur with what is being said here. I have a BFR Roasted neck Bongo 4 H that is my number one bass. My number two is a Bongo 4 Hp. I went with the piezo to see how I would like it. I do! But with that being said, I also really like my 4 HH Bongo and my 4 HHp Bongo. With the Stingray's and Sterlings, I do prefer just the single H configuration on them but on the Reflexx I like the HSS and on the Big Al I like the SSS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    My sterling 5 H is getting alot of play time. Love it! Glad to hear you still got my old sunburst ray. That was the first MM I owned. sunburst goodness
    Wow I was not aware that the sunburst Ray was your first MM Its the exact same set up as my cream Ray but they both sound worlds apart, the cream Ray has a tight punchy tone to it, ware the sunburst is a lot more mellow an laid back, both keepers, just depends on mood what gets used that day !

Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    `
    SINGLE mag PU
    plus a piezo bridge.

Now that fave does involve a PU blender, which I do
    realize you don't favor ..... buttttt ! The PU blender
    that bugs you is not a simple blender. It's also like a
    moving PU, moving the mag PU system's "center of
    gravity" back and forth.
    Thanks for that interesting review, very helpful thank you, that sounds of something that I would be interested in, still in theory got the single H but half of it is adjustable, adding dynamics to the tone rather that altering it. Thats if my summing up is correct and I read your review correctly, please correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds good.
    There is room for twin PU basses in my collection, just not the one I have and not at the present, idea in head now .

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MudvilleStomper View Post
    Reflex crushes all. Didn't BP say that the humbucker in the 25th/Reflex was the best he'd made?
    Yes he did, ...I believe!

However, ...I always wanted to order a single H reflex from beginning, ...but 'cause dual H model got bridge H pickup at Musicman's "sweetspot" position like single H, ...I decided finally for a HH model. Neck H is, ...let's say, a bonus pickup!

Anyway, ...it's hard to compare reflex with Bongo, ...both sounds like Musicman, but in whole new, I'd say, modern dimension!

User Info Menu

I agree with the single pickup thing. The Stingray H has "that sound in my head." It does everything I need and want it to do. It's "my" sound and for all the hundreds of basses (no matter how many pickups and bells and whistles they've had) I've had over the years, I've always returned to the Stingray, after I got my first taste years ago. For me, there is no improvement. It just sounds "right" and is always clear, yet as ballzy/thumpin' as I need it to be--anything from soul, country, motown, oldies, to rock, funk and whatever else. At one time, I'd minus some points for playability, but now that there is the "SLO" option, I'd doubt I'll ever play anything except the Stingray H as my main bass. Anything else I get seems to collect dust.